Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:15 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by silverthief2
I'm not a fan. They encourage people to stand around when they don't need to, though strictly speaking in DCA they are positioned to keep people from physically blocking the way to the gate area.
People are going to stand around when they don't need to anyway, which is where there is a 121-page thread on gate lice I haven't been at a gate that uses the pillars yet, but it seems like at least with those you stand some chance of not having to fight your way through for PREM or SKY boarding.

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I get that you hate WN, but just because Delta might use those pillars means the rest of the experience will be WN-like.
I think you left out a "doesn't" in here somewhere
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by Zorak
People are going to stand around when they don't need to anyway, which is where there is a 121-page thread on gate lice.
You need to learn how to change your settings so you can see the maximum 40 posts per page. This is only page 46 in my browser.

Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:03 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by teddybear99
You need to learn how to change your settings so you can see the maximum 40 posts per page. This is only page 46 in my browser.

I don't want all those zone 1 and zone 2 posts clogging up my reading lanes while I'm still working my way through the PREM and SKY posts
ACCDraw likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Just finished LAX based trip.
The posts have arrived.
Post - Premium
Post - Priority Sky
Post - Zone 1
Posts - Zone et al

NOW Delta needs to coordinate the announced cacophany with lighted sign announcements.

Lots of newbie flyer Priority Passengers standing in front at Premium (Amex Card holders?)
4 or 5 Priority passengers “mis-heard” announcement and tried to board with Premium,
no biggie. But then they didn’t move to let Prem Pax board.

It’s getting better, maybe?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Hate hate hate the boarding pillars. It’s total Southwest style. But beyond that, everyone just stands even more needlessly now, and if you don’t stand, you’ll be at the end of the line and really have no chance at overhead bin space (Premium and Sky zones exempt from worrying). If you are tired and want to sit before the flight, you’re screwed as the pillar line is full and you’ll be at the end of boarding. In ATL they are horrific as the boarding process spills into the main concourse walkway so passengers trying to walk beyond a gate that is boarding have to wind through a ridiculous maze of people. They’re awful and I’ve found them awful since they were introduced. I cannot find how they help boarding at all and do several things to seriously downgrade the entire process. As if that weren’t enough, the gate chairs in ATL are being replaced with hard plastic likely under the assumption that people are going to stand at the pillars (or the hard chairs will force people to stand at the pillars).
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:38 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by DLDiamond2013
Hate hate hate the boarding pillars. It’s total Southwest style. But beyond that, everyone just stands even more needlessly now, and if you don’t stand, you’ll be at the end of the line and really have no chance at overhead bin space (Premium and Sky zones exempt from worrying). If you are tired and want to sit before the flight, you’re screwed as the pillar line is full and you’ll be at the end of boarding. In ATL they are horrific as the boarding process spills into the main concourse walkway so passengers trying to walk beyond a gate that is boarding have to wind through a ridiculous maze of people. They’re awful and I’ve found them awful since they were introduced. I cannot find how they help boarding at all and do several things to seriously downgrade the entire process. As if that weren’t enough, the gate chairs in ATL are being replaced with hard plastic likely under the assumption that people are going to stand at the pillars (or the hard chairs will force people to stand at the pillars).
Interesting. As an ATL based traveler, I've rarely seen any gate that didn't spill out into the concourse; it's also been my experience that the pillars actually reduce gate-to-concourse spillover.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:10 am

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Loadmaster
Interesting. As an ATL based traveler, I've rarely seen any gate that didn't spill out into the concourse; it's also been my experience that the pillars actually reduce gate-to-concourse spillover.
Ironically I’ve found the Premium pillar to be the biggest offender in gate spillover because it is often set perpendicular to the center concourse walkway, whereas all the other zones are generally parallel to the walkway and keep the lines woven in the seating area and “on the carpet.” Just my observation on many transits via ATL. I’m trying not to let my hatred of the pillars obfuscate my view/opinions of what is happening/what they create, but I am only human.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: A few

Ironically I’ve found the Premium pillar to be the biggest offender in gate spillover because it is often set perpendicular to the center concourse walkway, whereas all the other zones are generally parallel to the walkway and keep the lines woven in the seating area and “on the carpet.” Just my observation on many transits via ATL. I’m trying not to let my hatred of the pillars obfuscate my view/opinions of what is happening/what they create, but I am only human.
True enough, and I agree on that aspect, but since the other lanes tend to keep a good portion of folks within the gate area and out of the concourse, I suppose I've automatically labeled it as a degree of progress.

And trust me, I also loathe having to try to squeeze by in a concourse that is 3.5 million feet wide just because a flight is about to board and every single person feels the need to line up to jockey for position
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Nice one this morning, no boarding started, this woman barges past me and stands right in front of me. I am standing at the edge of the crowd. I can see her boarding pass clearly says Zone 3. They call pre boards she gets closer, they call Premium, she is even closer as is now basically at the "rope" divider thing. They call sky and now most of the people waiting have to walk around her.

I got about half a chapter in my book and I notice her boarding. I think by golly she was the FIRST zone 3 to board.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:44 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I'm not really sure why this bothers you. If you're a DM and you worried about overhead space you're still going to be able to board before all these people so there's no need for you personally to stand around, boarding has been spilling into the hallway forever and in fact is probably better-controlled with these since most of the lines are parallel to the hallway instead of perpendicular as they were before.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:45 am
pvn
Suspended

Ironically I’ve found the Premium pillar to be the biggest offender in gate spillover
This will soon be a thing of the past as the DM ranks get thinned out by the waiver modification etc and fewer DYKWIA's are in premium line.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:53 am

Hate hate hate the boarding pillars. It’s total Southwest style.
I hate the look/idea of them for this reason, but do think that psychologically I think it makes it harder for people to claim "I didn't know what zone was boarding".

However you can't fix stupid, so overall I am apathetic to the pillars.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:56 am
pvn
Suspended

I'm not really sure how the pillars make it "southwest style" any more than assigning zones already did.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by defrosted
so overall I am apathetic to the pillars.
Changed my mind this Sky Priority lone is blocking the entire gate area. People have to barge through to get to the GA or seats.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
This was impressive especially since PRE BOARDING had NOT even begun yet.

Needless to say I waited until the VERY VERY end to board (to the point where the GA called my name) I was not even going to attempt to fight that mess.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.