Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2017, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
the basic definition of Gate Lice is the gaggles who congregate by the boarding lanes ... all the pillars seem to do is convert an amorphous gaggle into three or four sort-of-linear gaggles, and possibly discourage some out-of-sequence boarding (line-cutting)
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton
I think one of the biggest problems is some of the gate areas are tiny. I flew out of A10 in ATL and I think there were a total of 25 seats between A10 and A8. For a full CR9 that leaves 50+ people standing, and if people are going to have to stand, they'll naturally do it in the boarding area. The pillars do seem to make the gaggle a bit more organized in those situations.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I don't have enough experience with it but the few times I've had it Z1-3 were almost perpendicular to SP/Prem and did clear it up a bit but honestly a lot of gates are small so I'm not sure it's going to be a permanent thing.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 1973 Ford Pinto
How do the pillars "encourage gate lice"??? They're set back from the podium and away from the door, the people who line up there early are the same people that are going to be gate lice anyway, only now they're away from the door.

I just don't see any scenario where the gate lice problem is worse with pillars than without.
People see the pillars and think they're flying Southwest or at least flying a LCC or some airline that doesn't assign seats. Then they feel even more need to rush to board as early as possible so as to get a better seat. They might even just drop into the first good seat they see, rather than their assigned seat.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Grogs
I think one of the biggest problems is some of the gate areas are tiny. I flew out of A10 in ATL and I think there were a total of 25 seats between A10 and A8. For a full CR9 that leaves 50+ people standing, and if people are going to have to stand, they'll naturally do it in the boarding area. The pillars do seem to make the gaggle a bit more organized in those situations.
The first time I encountered the boarding pillars, it was in one of those tiny gate areas. My boarding group line pretty much ended going smack through the middle of a Hudson News (or equivalent). Which probably didn't make the shop happy since it left little room for people who weren't immediately boarding a plane and who wanted to browse a bit and generate sales for the store.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
People see the pillars and think they're flying Southwest or at least flying a LCC or some airline that doesn't assign seats. Then they feel even more need to rush to board as early as possible so as to get a better seat. They might even just drop into the first good seat they see, rather than their assigned seat.
Source?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Unless cited this is purely anecdotal. Personally, I haven’t been through ATL in at least a few weeks but can say the B terminal, for me at midday, is much more navigable with of the boarding pillars than without. Let Gate Lice be Gate Lice if they’re lining up in their correct zone. Containing a boarding process to the gate area as much as possible is way more desireable than the process spilling into the main walkway.
CMK10, dorisrpas and KevinDTW like this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by 1973 Ford Pinto
How do the pillars "encourage gate lice"??? They're set back from the podium and away from the door, the people who line up there early are the same people that are going to be gate lice anyway, only now they're away from the door.

I just don't see any scenario where the gate lice problem is worse with pillars than without.
^ The pillars help keep the gate area more organized.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
the basic definition of Gate Lice is the gaggles who congregate by the boarding lanes ... all the pillars seem to do is convert an amorphous gaggle into three or four sort-of-linear gaggles, and possibly discourage some out-of-sequence boarding (line-cutting)
Where do you want these people to go, exactly? The pillars are set back from the actual boarding lane. They seem to work at keeping the lane clear.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold
People see the pillars and think they're flying Southwest or at least flying a LCC or some airline that doesn't assign seats.
uh, what? Do you have any, like, data showing this???
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But WN assigns Boarding Line Numbers. And believe me, that is self-policed by the people in line. Southwest, despite your assumptions, has the most orderly boarding system out there. And might I add, they accomplish this with probably the least experienced passenger demo out there. If you want orderly boarding, every airline ought to employ boarding line numbers, driven by status and seat assignment if those pertain. If you have Boarding Line Numbers, the posts simply guide people where to line up.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've said it before: If I want to fly Southwest (or Southwest style), I would buy tickets on WN. I do not want to fly Southwest.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:05 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by rickg523
But WN assigns Boarding Line Numbers. And believe me, that is self-policed by the people in line. Southwest, despite your assumptions, has the most orderly boarding system out there. And might I add, they accomplish this with probably the least experienced passenger demo out there. If you want orderly boarding, every airline ought to employ boarding line numbers, driven by status and seat assignment if those pertain. If you have Boarding Line Numbers, the posts simply guide people where to line up.
But there's no motivation to follow the numbers if you're not battling for a seat like on WN.

The cattle call is primary among the many reasons that I've completely sworn off WN for life.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
I've said it before: If I want to fly Southwest (or Southwest style), I would buy tickets on WN. I do not want to fly Southwest.
The hatred you have for WN is bizarre. You have been asked for evidence supporting your claims, and all you can do is babble about how bad WN is.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:54 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by DCFinanceinFlight
The hatred you have for WN is bizarre. You have been asked for evidence supporting your claims, and all you can do is babble about how bad WN is.
I'm totally with MSP on this.

Maybe we just have personal aversions to the way WN does some things, especially the boarding, but there are few business and no airlines that I dislike more than them. It really is a miserable way to be treated and their worse than Spirit on-time performance doesn't help much either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.