Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by raistlin
If you think CDG is bad, you should see FCO when boarding an AZ flight!!!
My AZ last itinerary:

TLV-FCO -- no priority boarding.
FCO-MXP -- no priority boarding.
MXP-FCO -- no priority boarding.
FCO-TLV -- priority boarding to a bus which took us to the plane.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by Dovster
My AZ last itinerary:

TLV-FCO -- no priority boarding.
FCO-MXP -- no priority boarding.
MXP-FCO -- no priority boarding.
FCO-TLV -- priority boarding to a bus which took us to the plane.
But, the inherent question is whether the boarding process for the first three segments was like a cattle run at the stockyards...
Old Apr 26, 2010, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fgirard
But, the inherent question is whether the boarding process for the first three segments was like a cattle run at the stockyards...
This is Alitalia, there is no other option.

Well, I lied, there is. Flight canceled.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by WBurcham

What about the plane surrendering itself to other airlines?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 10:54 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm sure that itchy feeling was likely picked up by your seat/cabin mate(s) on MSP-ATL on Saturday. Not sure some people understand hygiene very well.... especially when they decide to spend as much time in air as possible.
Since you're the expert, can you please tell me what the incubation period is? Do you really think I could have become infested on Saturday? (I assume that you really meant to say "from" and not "by" my seatmate, as I haven't been on any flights with bad gate lice problems since SkyPriority started on April 15 and I haven't had contact with coach passengers in a very long time.) How could I have not noticed any overt symptoms until Sunday evening? (Even then, initially I assumed that at worst I had a very mild case.)

How contagious do you think I would have been earlier? I'm sure the mob on my Sunday night flight was experiencing a raging epidemic before I arrived at the gate, but now you have me very concerned about how many FTers I might have infected over the weekend. However, if I picked up my infection in the ATL SkyClub (which I personally feel is unlikely, as I didn't go near concourse B until Sunday), perhaps our entire community is suffering from the problem. I hope someone finds a cure soon, although I wouldn't mind if part of the solution involves either getting rid of all RJs without FC (to slow the spread of the lice) or replacing the seats and sanitizing the interiors of the old 767s with cloth recliner seats (to stop the lice from continuing to reproduce).
Old Apr 27, 2010, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Since you're the expert, can you please tell me what the incubation period is?
Generally 24-48 hours.

Do you really think I could have become infested on Saturday? (I assume that you really meant to say "from" and not "by" my seatmate, as I haven't been on any flights with bad gate lice problems since SkyPriority started on April 15 and I haven't had contact with coach passengers in a very long time.)
Yes, it is probable that seatmates (or those within 2-3 rows) who frequently sleep with Gate Lice ridden airlines are highly contagious. I feel for pax who did ATL-ONT on Saturday. They had much longer to be exposed....

How could I have not noticed any overt symptoms until Sunday evening? (Even then, initially I assumed that at worst I had a very mild case.)
I would blame it on the Woodford.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 12:12 am
Original Poster

What about the plane surrendering itself to other airlines?
Surrender? Are you sure you aren't confused with Air France?
Old Apr 27, 2010, 1:04 am

No, cattle runs are much more orderly.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 7:35 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze

In the middle of the volcano crisis, I've seen a lot of people wishing they were booked on AZ through FCO.

I think this was a most unique experience.

Old Apr 29, 2010, 6:00 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Yesterday, MSP-ATL Flight 1081, the Gate Lice heckled.

"You all can't be in F!" a couple starting saying as we wheeled our way through the throng that had gathered around the boarding area. "What makes you think you are so important?" asked another.

Bonus: tall blond woman in front of me in the line had never heard the term "Gate Lice" but loved it.

Extra Bonus: She next mentioned the only thing worse was people who slowed everything down by trying to sneak in the line wiht an earlier Zone. I commented that those people should be forced into a time out, boarding pass taken away and made to wait until everyone had boarded. At that point, we were at the scanner. The GA laughed and rolled her eyes when she heard this.

Turns out the man behind me, who could hear us, was not Zone 1. The GA took his boarding pass and told him to have a seat!!! She also anounced "We are only boarding Zone 1" so that everyone would look at the guy and know he is a jerk.

Tall blond said "you watch, he'll be sitting next to you and wil blame you." Didn't happen. Nope. He didn't sit next to me. He sat next to tall blonde!!! He also boarded shorly after us, so the GA didn't hold him until the end of boarding.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:26 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by samonyc
I have to say, after my experience flying LGA-DTW and back last week, that crowding the gate doesn't seem so crazy. On both flights I boarded in Zone 1, and managed to get the last available overhead space in the section for my reasonably size, soft-sided carry-on bag. It discourages me that even our elites can't show restraint, and decency, when it comes to carry-on bags.

On the first leg, in row 6 of an A320, the first two banks of overhead space on my side of the aisle were full before even half the passengers in those seats were on board. I used the space in the opposite side and felt guilty for it. Turned out the guy opposite me in row 6 had filled my side with two large bags. I'm sure the look of astonishment on my face as he pulled them down didn't phase him in the slightest.

On the way back, upgraded to F, I managed to get the last spot, and only because my bag was so much smaller than the others.
+1 to this post. I'm a proud gate louse because it's kill-or-be-killed for overhead space, period. And I generally am willing to stand longer and assume the "pole position" (as another poster above dubbed it...I like that) if I've been upgraded and will be in the first group...because I know that the F bins will now generally be completely full before the last F passenger has taken his/her seat. WOBS (War for Overhead Bin Space) has really made flying suck nowadays...more than it ever has. Was there ever a BETTER time for flying than in the days just after 8/10/06, when all liquids were prohibited and airlines weren't yet charging for checked bags, making the boarding process a completely stress-free experience?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl
He didn't sit next to me. He sat next to tall blonde!!!
I don't care when you boarded or when he did -- he won and you lost!
Old May 11, 2010, 7:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM
I watched this one today from ATL-JFK... 90 Minutes and he never moved once...

Old May 11, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Disney Platinum ;)
Originally Posted by flightattendantsteve
I watched this one today from ATL-JFK... 90 Minutes and he never moved once...
Clearly he doesn't have a Sky Club membership or Plat Amex...that is a good 60 minutes of drinks wasted...oh the humanity!

Old May 12, 2010, 5:01 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
<post deleted...redundant>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.