Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Old Mar 8, 2017, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaDunce
I went back to the posts at the beginning of 2016 and didn't see this mentioned... I think that GA's are one of the main causes of Gate Lice.

15-20 minutes before boarding, the GA's start announcing that "this is a very full flight, and I need volunteers to check their luggage to avoid slowing down the boarding process".

While the intent of the announcement is laudable, the result is that 5 or 6 kind souls will voluntarily gate check, and 30 or 40 GL will start to crowd the boarding area bc the only thing that registered in their brains were the words "full flight" which triggers their herd mentality.
I sympathize with this assessment. I've never had to involuntarily check bags during boarding (always got enough voluntarily checked before boarding starts). Over time I've been improving on my persuasive announcements to prevent people from lousing around. I think it works. Only a few F passengers linger, and occasionally they try to preboard when they see someone who they don't think should be preboarding (but they actually do). GAs who proactively check enough bags before boarding and make announcements to convince people how everyone's better off if they just sit back would probably have better success. Sorry for the rambling sentences in this comment.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Nicely done, Widgets. ^ Until DL figures out the "next-gen" boarding process (and probably beyond), GA soft/social skills are the single biggest influence over crowd psychology in the gatehouse.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Nicely done, Widgets. ^ Until DL figures out the "next-gen" boarding process (and probably beyond), GA soft/social skills are the single biggest influence over crowd psychology in the gatehouse.
My favorite lines are "no matter how soon you board, I guarantee you everyone's going to arrive at exactly the same time" and "I promise you the seats you're in right now are more comfortable and spacious than the ones you're about to buckle into."
Old Mar 16, 2017, 11:02 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
DCA-ATL yesterday... boarding with SKY (I am normally #teamboardlast, but I have my kids with me, they have their rollaboards)... as we approach the podium, the GA calls for zone 1 and like 4 or 5 people who were standing to the side of the line in front of the gate desk rush in front of me. A woman literally elbowed her way between me and my wife (it was obvious we were together, as we were talking the whole time). She didn't even have any bags.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
We had to pre board this week (first time ever) as my husband injured his wrist and hand and I need to put his backpack up and his seat belt on him, even open his bottle of water/help dress him ect because he can't do it himself. So I wanted a little extra time to settle both of us in.

As we fought our way through to pre board , we're row 1, heard someone crowding the gate loudly say, "Really? You don't look elderly or disabled".

Me to guy: Bite me, Dude. If you weren't crowding the gate, this would go faster.

I'm not winning friends this week.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: delta dm
I dont remember what the other thread is called to post this but now all gates concourse b atl have the boardong zone posts. I wonder if delta is going to move to this everywhere.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by Widgets
My favorite lines are "no matter how soon you board, I guarantee you everyone's going to arrive at exactly the same time" and "I promise you the seats you're in right now are more comfortable and spacious than the ones you're about to buckle into."
Unfortunately, it's all about overhead bin space.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by Osmo
We had to pre board this week (first time ever) as my husband injured his wrist and hand and I need to put his backpack up and his seat belt on him, even open his bottle of water/help dress him ect because he can't do it himself. So I wanted a little extra time to settle both of us in.

As we fought our way through to pre board , we're row 1, heard someone crowding the gate loudly say, "Really? You don't look elderly or disabled".

Me to guy: Bite me, Dude. If you weren't crowding the gate, this would go faster.

I'm not winning friends this week.
Four years ago I took a fall and broke my left wrist and right elbow. After not-quite three months of aggressive PT my physician cleared me to fly "solo." I was still not able to drive and had a lifting restriction of 10 pounds. And, like your spouse, I was unable to open a water bottle.

For the next six months I pre-boarded and suffered the reactions of gate lice and crew alike. Once on board I was able to explain my condition to the crew (and show them photos of my X-rays). Every Delta employee was understanding and helpful. Only one FA refused to help me, and that was on a Southwest flight.

Since then I never question a passenger's need/desire to board early. Don't judge the book by its cover.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by captiveguru

Since then I never question a passenger's need/desire to board early. Don't judge the book by its cover.
How much questioning did you do before your injury?
I never question preboarders. I question preboarders who hobble on, but somehow disembark like a middle linebacker on a blitz.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL,Marriott,Hilton, Avis, SPG
Originally Posted by rickg523
I never question preboarders. I question preboarders who hobble on, but somehow disembark like a middle linebacker on a blitz.
A couple of years ago we were on a flight from ATL-DUB that had a group of Urologists from Alabama. I think every single one of them limped and shuffled onto the plane and then beat everyone else to Immigration.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by rickg523
More than I should have.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:48 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by captiveguru
Four years ago I took a fall and broke my left wrist and right elbow. After not-quite three months of aggressive PT my physician cleared me to fly "solo." I was still not able to drive and had a lifting restriction of 10 pounds. And, like your spouse, I was unable to open a water bottle.

For the next six months I pre-boarded and suffered the reactions of gate lice and crew alike. Once on board I was able to explain my condition to the crew (and show them photos of my X-rays). Every Delta employee was understanding and helpful. Only one FA refused to help me, and that was on a Southwest flight.

^^^
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Flew DL45 today (DUB-JFK) and I was really impressed at how persistent, firm and polite the GAs were in DUB. They clearly announced every zone, held up and walked around with paddles indicating the current zone, and made sure that nobody was able to even get close to scanning their BP unless they were boarding for the right zone.

JFK-DUB was much closer to the opposite (though not the worst DL flight by far) where half of the flight was just standing around and blocking the gate (and I am a lowly GM, the PREM passengers had to deal with even more).

I'm sure they're more on point because there are only two daily DUB departures on DL, but it made me wish the GAs in JFK and LGA were as energetic and pleasant to deal with.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by manacit
Flew DL45 today (DUB-JFK) and I was really impressed at how persistent, firm and polite the GAs were in DUB. They clearly announced every zone, held up and walked around with paddles indicating the current zone, and made sure that nobody was able to even get close to scanning their BP unless they were boarding for the right zone.

JFK-DUB was much closer to the opposite (though not the worst DL flight by far) where half of the flight was just standing around and blocking the gate (and I am a lowly GM, the PREM passengers had to deal with even more).

I'm sure they're more on point because there are only two daily DUB departures on DL, but it made me wish the GAs in JFK and LGA were as energetic and pleasant to deal with.
Ha! Indeed! The Red Coat for our departure in DUB was a rather pasty-looking, slightly overweight, middle-aged man. He was so funny! It was a real pleasure watching him work.
Old May 1, 2017, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by dzflyer
I dont remember what the other thread is called to post this but now all gates concourse b atl have the boardong zone posts. I wonder if delta is going to move to this everywhere.
I feel like I just got an email from them in the past week announcing the new boarding process (with the posts) rolling out to all of ATL. This was more recent than the early March announcement.

But as I search through my email, I can't find it. I distinctly remember reading it and thinking "Oh, I guess they're moving past the trial period."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.