Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Question from Infrequent Flyer

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Upgrade Question from Infrequent Flyer

I fly only about four times per year so I am by no means an expert at this and I have a couple questions for all you experts.

I would like to upgrade my existing ticket (Q) using my miles (flight is on 4/11). EF shows 3 V's and 0 G's available. Do the V's ever get changed to G's? Should I just keep watching up until departure? or once there are no G's there is no way for me to get an upgrade?

I see people talking about watching the upgrade waiting list. Is this list only for the more frequesnt flyers or can anyone get on this list? IF it is for anyone, how do I get on it?

Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:32 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

You should inform your readers of your status (are you Medallion?), starting point (flying from ATL to LGA for example), type of ticket purchased (you provided info).

Otherwise, it is impossible to answer your question.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for the lack of info....

I don't think I have any status, I have about 22,000 FF miles right now. I used alot of them up last year.
My flight number is 2396 from PDX to DTW on 4/11
Q class ticket.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Frequent Flyer Miles have nothing to do with status; MQMs (Medallion Qualification Miles) do. It is extremely unlikely they will open G once its gone, especially with only 3V left. Better get ready to enjoy coach.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Darn, ok thanks for the info. I should have thought to do this earlier.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 2:59 pm

Programs: Any status I once had is gone!
With your flight a month away, they may indeed decide to allow you to purchase the UG with miles. The old flyer talk adage applies here:

Call. Call often. If you don't get someone to process an UG, try again another time.

Safe travels!
Old Mar 7, 2010, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Instead of calling all the time, can I just watch ExpertFlyer and wait until a G is available? or are you saying that if I bug them enough they could possibly let me have one of the V's? Sorry if I am not completely understanding.

Last edited by diamondcat; Mar 7, 2010 at 3:28 pm
Old Mar 7, 2010, 3:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by diamondcat
Instead of calling all the time, can I just watch ExpertFlyer and wait until a G is available? or are you saying that if I bug them enough they could possibly let me have one of the V's? Sorry if I am not sompletely understanding.
your best bet would be to set an expertflyer alert, so you get an email if G becomes available. I disagree with bkmn, I think calling will be a waste of everyone's time.. if there is no G availability, I find it hard to believe some ticketing agent is going to process an upgrade against company policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.