Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Connection Flights / Carry On Luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Connection Flights / Carry On Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by glasnost7
.... Now I just hope you guys at DL don't have the gate lice problem we do over at UA.
According to WHO (World Health Organisation) the louse infestation originated in ATL and is still extremely prevalent in all DL hubs.

Redeye LAX->ATL T6 Nov 30, could not even get close enough to see if SkyPri was boarding. Forcing my way through, one of the louse makes a nasty comment to some effect that I must be in a hurry. I replied in a soft but very angry voice "Excuse me", in Thai. Hopefully he thought I told him to f'k off.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 5:58 am

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
So, flying CVG-DTW-PHX early tomorrow morning with a tight 31 minute window to connect in Detroit. I'm sitting in first class on CVG-DTW and it's a CRJ 900 aircraft. Is this the regional jet with the larger overhead bins that will allow me to place my 22" roller bag in there?

With such a tight connection, I'm worried if I pink tag my bag that the wait for the bags to come up to the jet bridge might cause me to miss the connection to the PHX flight. If my bag won't fit in the bin, I'm probably going to just check it to the final destination as I want to minimize the risk. Or...am I just paranoid, not knowing the DTW terminal well, and 31 minutes is plenty of time? Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:25 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
So, flying CVG-DTW-PHX early tomorrow morning with a tight 31 minute window to connect in Detroit. I'm sitting in first class on CVG-DTW and it's a CRJ 900 aircraft. Is this the regional jet with the larger overhead bins that will allow me to place my 22" roller bag in there?

With such a tight connection, I'm worried if I pink tag my bag that the wait for the bags to come up to the jet bridge might cause me to miss the connection to the PHX flight. If my bag won't fit in the bin, I'm probably going to just check it to the final destination as I want to minimize the risk. Or...am I just paranoid, not knowing the DTW terminal well, and 31 minutes is plenty of time? Thanks!
it "should" be able to fit the long way in the bin.....however the GA might make you pink tag it. It really depends how far apart your gates are.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold

My advice would be to check it through and elevate some stress.

With only 31 minutes, which is a little tight in DTW, you may get to your DTW-PHX only to find when boarding that all the overhead bin space has already been taken. Remember, the flight will start board roughly 40 minutes before departure, so by the time you get to it (31 minus transit time of probably around 15-20 minutes) you will be down to T minus 10-15 minutes from departure. By that time, they will be boarding zone 2-3 which is when bin space starts to run out.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Ledfish
My advice would be to check it through and elevate some stress.

With only 31 minutes, which is a little tight in DTW, you may get to your DTW-PHX only to find when boarding that all the overhead bin space has already been taken. Remember, the flight will start board roughly 40 minutes before departure, so by the time you get to it (31 minus transit time of probably around 15-20 minutes) you will be down to T minus 10-15 minutes from departure. By that time, they will be boarding zone 2-3 which is when bin space starts to run out.
Yeah, that's my gut feeling too. I am sitting in first class DTW-PHX as well...not that they would necessarily find me open bin space, but there's probably a better chance than if I was in the back I guess.

I'm actually headed to Tucson after landing in Phoenix for the afternoon, so was just thinking of what could also go wrong if I checked my bag and it misses the connection but I make it!
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Ledfish
My advice would be to check it through and elevate some stress... .
I trust you meant "eliminate" some stress
Old Jan 3, 2015, 1:38 pm

Thanks all. Bottom line, I now know that my roller would most likely fit the CRJ 900 overhead up front. Now...time to figure out what my risk tolerance is.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jrl767
or alleviate
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
Thanks all. Bottom line, I now know that my roller would most likely fit the CRJ 900 overhead up front. Now...time to figure out what my risk tolerance is.
For what its worth - about 40% of my flights 2014 were on RJ's. Most into smaller airports, where baggage claim was not a nightmare, and I wasn't rushing on either end of the flight. I almost always checked my bag, to skip the pink-tag-wait-o-rama at jet bridge.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
Originally Posted by 1200GS
or alleviate
My bad, thanks for catching that one. I should have re-read that one before hitting submit, meant to say alleviate.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by 1200GS
For what its worth - about 40% of my flights 2014 were on RJ's. Most into smaller airports, where baggage claim was not a nightmare, and I wasn't rushing on either end of the flight. I almost always checked my bag, to skip the pink-tag-wait-o-rama at jet bridge.
No kidding. It's actually faster to check your bag when arriving back into CVG vs. waiting for it in the jet bridge (I've timed it each way several times). Usually beats it by 4 minutes or so.

There has to be a better valet check system out there, as the current one certainly is inefficient. I've seen maybe 40 people all line up after a flight and the distribution take an extra 10-15 minutes once they start coming up the conveyor.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:36 am

The OP's flight already took place this morning, but for future reference of others who may see this thread note that while the bins in F on the CR9 can take most rollers, you're best to get on quickly if you want to rely on it. The bins are only over the two-side and they can take most rollers sideways (not the long way in). So the F bins can fill quickly. Over the one-side in F there is virtually no storage space -- the "bins" have sliding doors and are so shallow when I tried to put my winter coat up there the other week it was not possible. I don't think a large purse would fit. If I had to guess, at best four rollers will fit in the entire F bins for the twelve first-class passengers.

So...even if you're in F if you definitely can't risk the time for the valet bags to be retrieved you may want to check. You may find room in F for a roller, but you might also find them full if you're not among the first few to board.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 5:21 pm

Yep, just coming back to relay that same thing. The bins on the one side are bigger, but really not nearly enough to fit a typical roller. In fact, I saw one guy try and fail and his was probably slightly smaller than mine. Glad I just checked it and avoided the whole hassle...especially when my gates were at the very far ends on the A concourse from each other!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.