Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrading to Hawaii - Where Delta stands vs. the others

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading to Hawaii - Where Delta stands vs. the others

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott TE, and Reformed AMEX Cent
I think they should upgrade Diamonds to Hawaii (at the gate). Do they really let seats up-front sit empty if there is a diamond in the back?
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by Harlem
I think they should upgrade Diamonds to Hawaii (at the gate). Do they really let seats up-front sit empty if there is a diamond in the back?
All the time.

Delta and US Airways are the only airlines that do not do complimentary elite upgrades to Hawaii (though US does if on a Y/B fare). Continental (at this time) does not though that could change with the merger, especially if the PMUA Domestic 777s take over IAH/EWR-HNL.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sxf24
Based on the stage length, Hawaii has significantly more demand for the sale of premium tickets.
That depends on one's perspective. This may be the case for ATL-HNL, but CA-Hawaii is a totally different ballgame.

Being based in CA, it's seems ridiculous that there are no free upgrades on SFO-HNL into Domestic F, but BusinessElite upgrades SFO-JFK are complimentary.

I have avoided DL on some of our recent Hawaii trips in favor of UA because of the upgrade policy. That despite DL having lower fares.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by channa
That depends on one's perspective. This may be the case for ATL-HNL, but CA-Hawaii is a totally different ballgame.

Being based in CA, it's seems ridiculous that there are no free upgrades on SFO-HNL into Domestic F, but BusinessElite upgrades SFO-JFK are complimentary.

I have avoided DL on some of our recent Hawaii trips in favor of UA because of the upgrade policy. That despite DL having lower fares.
Agreed. ATL-HNL is more in tune with a BusinessElite route, but the rest of the Hawaii flights (now that DTW/MSP/CVG don't have flights anymore) are more in tune with standard domestic transcons (with the sole exception of mai-tais being there - not a difference maker though).

I could understand HNL-ATL being left off (same as CO's IAH/EWR-HNL) but SLC/LAX/SEA/SFO-Hawaii make little to no sense.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: DM MM
For the people going to Hawaii on business, Delta's policy is brutal.

Buy a sLUT fare and it does not matter if you are a DM/MM, once they see the fare code you are treated like a Kettle and yes I see DM's in coach all the time. You can't use SWU's, Miles or sweet talking to get a FC seat.

They also dropped the DTW (Dec last year) and MSP (Feb this year) so the only realistic way to get to Hawaii from the old NW hubs is LAX (I say realistic because of the schedules of ATL, SLC are enough of a deterrent for me at least).

100% agree that west coast needs to be a domestic upgrade, the only difference on those flights are the mai-ties, very expensive mai-tie at 15K miles or burning a SWU.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 3:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
I don't mind forking over miles or an upgrade instrument to go to Hawaii, but the upgrade inventory on ATL-HNL has become so tight that you almost always have to go via the west coast now, or play a waitlist game. That did not used to be the case.

With no other gateway to HNL east of rockies, and all of the former NW customers now in the family who have no other option since MSP-HNL is gone, ATL-HNL has become very problematic to upgrade on. It would help if DL would go back to the double-daily service one deployed on this route, or bring back the 744, or come up with one other viable east coast gateway city.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by RoadGame
For the people going to Hawaii on business, Delta's policy is brutal.

Buy a sLUT fare and it does not matter if you are a DM/MM, once they see the fare code you are treated like a Kettle and yes I see DM's in coach all the time. You can't use SWU's, Miles or sweet talking to get a FC seat.

They also dropped the DTW (Dec last year) and MSP (Feb this year) so the only realistic way to get to Hawaii from the old NW hubs is LAX (I say realistic because of the schedules of ATL, SLC are enough of a deterrent for me at least).

100% agree that west coast needs to be a domestic upgrade, the only difference on those flights are the mai-ties, very expensive mai-tie at 15K miles or burning a SWU.
^^^^^

Yes, Delta to Hawaii ought to be Delta to Siberia. They suck. No other way around it.

I have no problem with the A330 out of ATL being held to a higher standard. But the plain jane domestic birds from the rest of the West Coast with a ridiculous fare requirement are laughable.

Fortunately I went Platinum on Continental and have flown to Hawaii twice using CO/UA out of LA and SFO. I've been upgraded on all flights - and paid several hundred dollars less per trip than flying Dulta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.