FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   LAX SkyClub renovations? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1056115-lax-skyclub-renovations.html)

bradfrancini Feb 24, 10 7:18 pm

LAX SkyClub renovations?

I read in a few posts that the LAX Sky Club is getting renovated. Does anyone know what to expect after they're done?

itsaboutthejourney Feb 24, 10 7:45 pm

More fake cheese?

Seriously, I'm guessing they will cover the rotunda to add more seating. I'm also guessing they will remove the bar and make drinks self-serve.

Personally, I'd like to see:

- Modern decor (like LHR T4 SkyTeam lounge)
- More variations in seating (some stools at the window, some couches, a large communal table, WorldClub style seats with the swivel trays)
- A dedicated elevator or escalator for the club (no more sharing with the trash haulers and crews skeptical of what floor you are going to)
- Power outlets EVERYWHERE
- Expanded views of the tarmac (like AA and AS lounges)
- An area free of blaring TV's
- AS and WC style self-serve refrigerators with veggies and real cheese
- A basket of apples, oranges & bananas somewhere

AndyTLe Feb 24, 10 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney (Post 13458571)
More fake cheese?

Seriously, I'm guessing they will cover the rotunda to add more seating. I'm also guessing they will remove the bar and make drinks self-serve.

Personally, I'd like to see:

- Modern decor (like LHR T4 SkyTeam lounge)
- More variations in seating (some stools at the window, some couches, a large communal table, WorldClub style seats with the swivel trays)
- A dedicated elevator or escalator for the club (no more sharing with the trash haulers and crews skeptical of what floor you are going to)
- Power outlets EVERYWHERE
- Expanded views of the tarmac (like AA and AS lounges)
- An area free of blaring TV's
- AS and WC style self-serve refrigerators with veggies and real cheese
- A basket of apples, oranges & bananas somewhere

IIRC the rotunda which is cool but takes up space is gone. There is an area free of TVs, it is actually usually empty, the space behind the check-in desk (to the left of the bathrooms). The cubicles back usually have nobody. Elevators are difficult to add to an existing building, lots of structural issues involved so I don't know if that will happen.

The one thing I do like about the LAX club is the variety of drinks served. One of the few, maybe only, club that serves the DL cocktails and also a variety of beers on tap and in bottles. If the club went self service, I think all of that would be gone.

itsaboutthejourney Feb 24, 10 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by AndyTLe (Post 13458658)
the space behind the check-in desk (to the left of the bathrooms). The cubicles back usually have nobody.

I forgot to add that nobody goes back there because cell service is weak back there. Hopefully opening the desk area (maybe making it face the entry?) would allow folks to go right or left (to that unused space)?

LADELTA777 Feb 24, 10 8:21 pm

i never been in there, quick question, can you see the run way from the SK.

AndyTLe Feb 24, 10 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by LADELTA777 (Post 13458798)
i never been in there, quick question, can you see the run way from the SK.

You get a view of the planes and gates of T5 & T4.

SDQBound Feb 24, 10 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by bradfrancini (Post 13458434)
I read in a few posts that the LAX Sky Club is getting renovated. Does anyone know what to expect after they're done?

When will that happen? I was there two days ago and didn't see any signs of renovation. I would agree on the rotunda space, I really like it, but the lounge space is too small.

LADELTA777 Feb 24, 10 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by AndyTLe (Post 13458881)

thank you sr:D

n7371f Feb 25, 10 8:59 pm

Honestly...I'm all for removing the full-service bar because every time I've been there I've had to wait for some woman to come walking from the back. And when I've attempted to engage in dialogue, the level of English has appeared minimal. To me it just degrades the whole experience.

beckoa Feb 25, 10 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by n7371f (Post 13466967)
Honestly...I'm all for removing the full-service bar because every time I've been there I've had to wait for some woman to come walking from the back. And when I've attempted to engage in dialogue, the level of English has appeared minimal. To me it just degrades the whole experience.

For one- although I enjoy beverages, I for the life of me don't know how to mix them apparently, so I do appreciate having someone there to mix them... was in ORD 2 weeks ago and tried making a couple drinks- one came out horribly strong, (easy fix, added more OJ) the other one curdled the baileys :eew:. And as others mentioned, it would probably keep a wider variety of drink options. Hope to try this once AS moves into T-6 as we're limited to 3 beverages per club... (and some of your freebies are call drinks @ AS)

But it can be kinda slow like in SEA, when there isn't usually someone behind the bar and you need to find an agent...

Oh, and can I add a request for showers too ;) (There's a couple transpac's from LAX)

acjflyer Feb 25, 10 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 13467142)
Oh, and can I add a request for showers too ;) (There's a couple transpac's from LAX)

They already exist!

SDQBound Feb 25, 10 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by n7371f (Post 13466967)

Not only that, but they were complaining about a customer in spanish, and didn't realize that I spoke spanish and understood the whole conversation.

beckoa Feb 25, 10 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by acjflyer (Post 13467191)
They already exist!

:o

Better not take them away then :p

Dang... all the more reason to find entry while in LAX...

Finally checked dulta.com and saw:

*Club will be undergoing renovations beginning February 15, 2010. Please pardon our progress as we make way for a new and improved experience
haha- it also has the putput green ;) (had a little fun with this in DCA :o)

N522US Feb 25, 10 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by B7e7US (Post 13467226)
Not only that, but they were complaining about a customer in spanish, and didn't realize that I spoke spanish and understood the whole conversation.

Dude that's hilarious!!! I wish I had that skill living here in Orlando! I hope you busted their chops!

MachOne Feb 26, 10 8:40 am

Originally Posted by AndyTLe (Post 13458881)

Actually it's T5 and T6

MO