FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   LAX SkyClub renovations? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1056115-lax-skyclub-renovations.html)

dd93003 Jul 29, 10 2:07 pm

They've replaced Woodford Reserve with Canadian Club. The spirit selection has been reduced to 5. The bar area has that cafeteria feel and if you plan to sit at the bar be prepared for constant face to face encounters with people grazing on the snacks. They are right there in front of you.

It's apparent Delta is going with the cost cutting World Club model.

Vuelos Jul 29, 10 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 14386208)
From what I can see in the picture:

Pyramid Haywire??
Samuel Adams??

Yes. That's what I remember.

avidflyer Jul 29, 10 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by dd93003 (Post 14387597)
They've replaced Woodford Reserve with Canadian Club. The spirit selection has been reduced to 5. The bar area has that cafeteria feel and if you plan to sit at the bar be prepared for constant face to face encounters with people grazing on the snacks. They are right there in front of you.

As they should. The cost to join is $0 for 32,000 members system wide not to mention the day passes they give away as part of the selections. Not saying I agree at all just pointing out the obvious.

boeingATL Jul 29, 10 7:06 pm

I hope they can sort things out. Was there last week. The men's room tile looks FABULOUS. But the lack of power outlets in the rotunda, the noise, the WHITE walls. The self service bar is a mixed blessing. Most people wander around trying to figure out what they want.

LAX is a major destination, but maybe not a major hub for DL. Nonetheless, considering the type of pax that will use this lounge (I doubt I'd ever see Oprah in there, or would want to [no flames please!]) I hope it will become a jewel in the crown. Wait. . . . where did the Crown Room go?

Bago'peanuts Jul 29, 10 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by garywies (Post 14380881)
As always, the staff is very welcoming and helpful.

Agreed. I worked with an older lady working the desk last month and she was one of the most helpful, proactive and energetic DL lounge agents I've ever come across.

Crazy4Birds Jul 29, 10 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by mersk862 (Post 14383273)
However, looking at the various options for lounges at LAX:

-Delta has two international flights to LAX - Tokyo and Sydney. On the Sydney route, they compete with Qantas, V Australia and United.
- United offers the Red Carpet Club at LAX for J customers. The RCC at LAX is pretty small (comparatively), snack options are about the same as the new SC. No showers.
- Qantas uses the Admiral's Club - a bit of a step up over a regular AC, but again, nothing special.
- V Australia uses the Alaska Board Room, which do tend to the be the best domestic lounges - however, for the few hot appetizers they have, no showers.

Basically, for SYD-bound travelers, you get the AS, AA, DL or UA lounges. The new Delta club, once fully finished, is overall the best option here in my opinion.

With Tokyo, ANA, JAL, Korean Air and Singapore all have access to the Alliance lounges in the TBIT, which are overall a bit nicer than the options for SYD. Overall though, the LAX club caters to primarily domestic flyers, with a handful of international flights where it is sufficient (and honestly, a bit nicer than the lounges that Delta offers at its primary international gateways at Atlanta and Kennedy).

AA also has an excellent Flagship lounge for some QF pax at LAX---DL has nothing like it anywhere in their system. Even if you're limited to the regular Admiral's Club, there is a nice premium wine selection and an extensive bar. And if you're on QF out of Tom Bradley, the lounge is a nicer experience than the DL lounge, in J and certainly in F.

Yes, like I said, the DL lounge is an excellent US domestic lounge. But for someone from overseas who expects a true international class departure lounge, it's substandard.

mersk862 Jul 30, 10 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Crazy4Birds (Post 14390520)
AA also has an excellent Flagship lounge for some QF pax at LAX---DL has nothing like it anywhere in their system. Even if you're limited to the regular Admiral's Club, there is a nice premium wine selection and an extensive bar. And if you're on QF out of Tom Bradley, the lounge is a nicer experience than the DL lounge, in J and certainly in F.

Yes, like I said, the DL lounge is an excellent US domestic lounge. But for someone from overseas who expects a true international class departure lounge, it's substandard.

The Flagship Lounge would only be for QF Plats (and other oneworld top-tier elites, such as AA ExPlats...) and First Class passengers - which would not the case for the majority of J class QF passengers. Same is true for United - the UA International First lounge is lightyears beyond the offering at the Red Carpet Club (which is the worst RCC at a hub location that I've been to - even worse than ORD United Express concourse club) - not a great apples-to-apples comparison in either case.

BenA Jul 31, 10 11:19 pm

Any clarity yet on when the showers will reopen? I'll be through LAX both this week and next on international connections and a shower would be a real lifesaver... if anyone happens to be passing through the LAX club in the next day or so and can ask when they're slated to reopen, it would be greatly appreciated to help me pack :)

itsaboutthejourney Aug 1, 10 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by dd93003 (Post 14387597)

Right :rolleyes:

The WorldClub model included REAL cheese (usually a cheddar and a jack), carrots, celery + dip, apples, bananas, white, wheat, cinnamon bagels English Muffins (toaster avail), yogurt, cookies + the usual salty snacks.

Even the storage lockers at MSP C, DTW, etc. have poser outlets so you can charge your phone or laptop while it's locked and you enjoy the club or terminal.

I think it's been the Crowne Room model that's a step/cutback.

Oh, and the WorldClub membership cost less

fpm Aug 1, 10 7:12 pm

From what I can see in the picture:

Clear
Bud Light
Michelob Ultra

Unclear/unsure

Pyramid Haywire??
Samuel Adams??
I was there Friday evening and the taps were 2 BL and 2 MU.

Corona & Heineken in bottles, maybe some others.

The outlets are a problem in the main area; does not make sense to go through the renovation and not install plenty.

Dawgfan6291 Aug 1, 10 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler (Post 14383338)
QF is planning to do a SYD style F lounge at TBIT so the DL lounge pale compared to that. Of course, DL has only 1x per day to SYD.

And Delta doesn't have F to SYD

Colorado King Aug 4, 10 12:36 pm

Trying Out Delta

Originally Posted by boeingATL (Post 14389286)
I hope they can sort things out. Was there last week. The men's room tile looks FABULOUS. But the lack of power outlets in the rotunda, the noise, the WHITE walls. The self service bar is a mixed blessing. Most people wander around trying to figure out what they want.

LAX is a major destination, but maybe not a major hub for DL. Nonetheless, considering the type of pax that will use this lounge (I doubt I'd ever see Oprah in there, or would want to [no flames please!]) I hope it will become a jewel in the crown. Wait. . . . where did the Crown Room go?

If the opinion of a relative outsider counts, I wanted to react to my first visit to the LAX lounge. I've tried DL out twice this week on two trips, on account of a status match from AA (EXP). Anyway, while I have been genuinely impressed with both the upgrades (100% so far) and the inflight service (I like those goodie baskets!), I haven't been as impressed with the skyclub. I was really disappointed in the LAX terminal's offering too. Aesthetically -- quite interesting. I could imagine that kind of place being featured in an opening shot of a movie.

But that benefit really was only skin deep; I have frequented the Admiral's Club a lot in LAX, and I find it much nicer and functional, even if the drinks and food aren't complimentary there (let me add, I value that with DL!). I was in LAX for a late evening flight this week, and it looked like a madhouse. And it was difficult to find a quiet place for a few moments of peace -- which is exactly what a lounge is supposed to do. So count me among those who would sincerely hope that the Skyclub is a work in progress. I'd have some real concerns about switching to Delta permanently if that's all that the LAX lounge will offer.

iamhereandthere Aug 6, 10 7:16 pm

Showers OPEN

As I came in today I asked about the showers...she said they were open. Last I read on here they were not complete when the rest of the renovation was done.

I will be checking one out in a bit before a queue forms. I'm trying to wait for 12 hours of dirt to form first. ;) I'm so happy that I don't have to go 36 hours without a shower!

If there is anything to note after my experience I will share it.

golfingboy Aug 6, 10 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by iamhereandthere (Post 14436318)
As I came in today I asked about the showers...she said they were open. Last I read on here they were not complete when the rest of the renovation was done.

I will be checking one out in a bit before a queue forms. I'm trying to wait for 12 hours of dirt to form first. ;) I'm so happy that I don't have to go 36 hours without a shower!

If there is anything to note after my experience I will share it.

:D, I hope they are as nice as the ones in MIA ;) Gotta love those ceiling shower heads!

iamhereandthere Aug 6, 10 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 14436340)
:D, I hope they are as nice as the ones in MIA ;) Gotta love those ceiling shower heads!

No ceiling shower heads. Same red tile as restrooms, they don't look much different than before other than decor. I have 3 pics but requires more than my brain can provide to upload them right now. Long day.

I will say I find the sink frustrating because it is a motion sensor with more or less cold water. Very hard to shave because the sink is very deep, the water isn't hot, and the lighting...well let's say I am lucky to still have my sideburns!

But so very happy to be refreshed before my 15 hour flight. Will post the pics when I have a chance which could be a couple of days.