Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX SkyClub renovations?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2010, 3:49 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Reading the press release and viewing the picture, I must say that I am impressed! ^ Can't wait to see the renovated SkyClub in person

Here is the press release with two pictures: Delta Unveils Renovated Sky Club at Los Angeles International Airport

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Self-serve bar?

Did they downgrade the liquor selections now that the customer is pouring?
Yes, the hard liquor selection was downgraded, there used to be about 15 or so different liquors Maybe they will still have the same # of selections, but will rotate the booze or serve specific liquor if requested? The wine selection is the same, the beer # of choices is the same, but Heineken and Corona has been replaced with two new brands on tap [the ones on the right side]...

Last edited by golfingboy; Jul 16, 2010 at 3:56 pm
Old Jul 16, 2010, 4:01 pm

Location: Mokuleia Hi, Ventura Ca, and anywhere blue water moves over shallow reefs
Programs: DL Diamond, CO Platinum
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Reading the press release and viewing the picture, I must say that I am impressed! ^ Can't wait to see the renovated SkyClub in person

Here is the press release with two pictures: Delta Unveils Renovated Sky Club at Los Angeles International Airport

Yes, the hard liquor selection was downgraded, there used to be about 15 or so different liquors Maybe they will still have the same # of selections, but will rotate the booze or serve specific liquor if requested? The wine selection is the same, the beer # of choices is the same, but Heineken and Corona has been replaced with two new brands on tap [the ones on the right side]...
Sounds like they went down to the WC level with the liquor. The LA SkyClub was the only one that would serve you a bottle of Corona. Looks like the gap between the SkyClub and Red Carpet, Admiral, and Presidents clubs is widening.

I do have a question with the self serve bars. When you want for instance a vodka tonic, what do you do with the 2/3rds of a can of tonic that are left over, assuming you only want one drink. I always hated just throwing them away.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Disney Platinum ;)
Hmm looks like lots of missed opportunities for power outlets in the two photos...under the bench seats along the wall or under the edge of the bar would have been great. Maybe I just didn't see them.

I pass through once/month over the next 3 months so I'm glad they are done, although 2 showers only after SYD? At least I have no checked bags and global entry...maybe I can get there first.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:29 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by iamhereandthere
I pass through once/month over the next 3 months so I'm glad they are done, although 2 showers only after SYD?
Don't forget the new HND flight which arrives before SYD and some Hawaii flights

HND flight arrives in the evening
Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, former NW PE
Tonic comes out of the soft-drink machine, IIRC.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K, DL 1MM/Silver
Corona bottles, Heineken cans, and Michelob Ultra cans are available (self serve) in the fridge along with the club soda cans, etc.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
WBurcham sent me and another FTer around 10 pictures today via e-mail...I must say the new club looks really nice and I'm looking forward to using it.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 9:56 pm

Location: Mokuleia Hi, Ventura Ca, and anywhere blue water moves over shallow reefs
Programs: DL Diamond, CO Platinum
Originally Posted by Mill Creek Don
Tonic comes out of the soft-drink machine, IIRC.
The only self serve bar I've used in MSP, C Concourse I think, tonic was served in the can out of the refrigerator.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, former NW PE
Originally Posted by dd93003
The only self serve bar I've used in MSP, C Concourse I think, tonic was served in the can out of the refrigerator.
Could be...been a while since I've used that mixer. Thus the IIRC.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:25 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Agreed, new club is looking nice. Everything is open, except showers and the old workstation area past the bathrooms. Looks like that will be the new quiet zone (like anybody ever pays attention to that.)

David
Old Jul 17, 2010, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Disney Platinum ;)
Originally Posted by mersk862
WBurcham sent me and another FTer around 10 pictures today via e-mail...I must say the new club looks really nice and I'm looking forward to using it.
If anyone has pics to post would love to see them. The two Delta ones were nice...but...
Old Jul 17, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by dd93003
Looks like the gap between the SkyClub and Red Carpet, Admiral, and Presidents clubs is widening.
Surely you mean that the SkyClubs are better. I have both SC and PC memberships and in my opinion the SkyClubs overall are superior. I've also been in a couple of Admirals Clubs in DFW and there's definitely nothing to write home about there either.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:49 am

Programs: DL Plat/SC 1MM, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Sam's Club
sitting in the LAX Sky Club and hating it!!!! The old rotunda is noisy and has no power outlets. All I hear is everyone's conversation and the TV from the self service bar, which at 10:30 am is out of vodka. No agents or servers to be found, anywhere. NOT IMPRESSED

and just discovered. . . . . no cream cheese for the bagels. the only thing resembling plates are vintage (70's) looking first class saucers.

Last edited by boeingATL; Jul 20, 2010 at 12:21 pm
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by boeingATL
sitting in the LAX Sky Club and hating it!!!! The old rotunda is noisy and has no power outlets. All I hear is everyone's conversation and the TV from the self service bar, which at 10:30 am is out of vodka. No agents or servers to be found, anywhere. NOT IMPRESSED
That's disappointing. I spent ~ 8 hours there this weekend (long layovers) and stayed against the wall working & looking out the window.

The lack of power outlets is a MAJOR problem that they need to address. As the club got busier, people were like locusts looking for power & i ended up sharing my workspace with someone else because he couldn't find a place to plug in.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by boeingATL
... the self service bar, which at 10:30 am is out of vodka.
While I'd be inclined to agree with all of your other opinions, I think the above is not a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.