Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX SkyClub renovations?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2010, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL Plat/SC 1MM, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Sam's Club
Was there this week for 2 hrs. . . . mixed reaction. Lots of engineers and decorators walking around, pointing and discussing. All walls area a blaring white. . . primer? The rotunda is covered, and lots of new seating. BUT. . . . there are no electrical outlets anywhere.

I plugged-in in an area behind the agents desk, and the wall outlet was about 5' in the air. Folding tables for the bar area.

There is potential. . . . we'll see. I always loved the rotunda.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by boeingATL
Was there this week for 2 hrs. . . . mixed reaction. Lots of engineers and decorators walking around, pointing and discussing. All walls area a blaring white. . . primer? The rotunda is covered, and lots of new seating. BUT. . . . there are no electrical outlets anywhere.

I plugged-in in an area behind the agents desk, and the wall outlet was about 5' in the air. Folding tables for the bar area.

There is potential. . . . we'll see. I always loved the rotunda.
Every seat along the windows will now have 2 outlets; take a look next time you are in there you will see them..
Old Jul 11, 2010, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Every seat along the windows will now have 2 outlets; take a look next time you are in there you will see them..
Looks like there will also be new workstations in a room right behind the front desk agents. Not clear yet what will be done with the old workstation area that was past the bathrooms.

I miss the rotunda as well, but the club definitely needed more space.

David
Old Jul 12, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, former NW PE
Yes...outlets along the walls, but way too many seats in the middle with no power. I would have thought they would have put in floor outlets. But that would likely have compromised "the design".

Also, using a computer in the rotunda area picks up the terminal T-mobile signal, not the free SC one. You have to move towards the windows to switch signals in my experience.

And I truly hope they will put some paint up that isn't the glaring white.

After a couple of VDBs, the SC staff got to remember me. Interestingly, I got an early birthday card from the staff this week. Hmmm.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 4:15 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Question

Originally Posted by bradfrancini
I read in a few posts that the LAX Sky Club is getting renovated. Does anyone know what to expect after they're done?

Did they do something about the smell?

Coming and going from the lounge and elevator/stair area, you have to endure the most nasty smell - I have no clue where it comes from but I assume the elevator goes down to the tarmac level of the airport and you get a lot of Prop 65 material coming and going between there and the passenger part of the airport. Very nasty stuff.

More showers would be nice too. Two is not really enough for a place like this with so many transpac and transcon flights coming and going.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
I was there today and about 10 people from DL were inspecting the renovation, taking photos, etc. I was told that the renovation would be finished tomorrow and that they will have something official on Wednesday (whatever that means).

The furniture was all there and it looks really nice. The bar appears to be self-serve and I could only see two TVs .

The room in the back were computers cubicles were located is now occupied by lounge furniture.

There is no longer a storage area where you can leave your bags
Old Jul 12, 2010, 9:54 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
One of the things I always enjoyed about LAX was the quiet cubicle area in the back. No problem to go up front, get a drink, then slip back into the quiet. Sounds like that is gone along with the rotunda.

Ah, will see for myself in a few weeks. Sounds like I'm gonna miss the old SC but agree with others, it was getting way too crowded in there.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:07 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
The thing I missed about the old club was the room that they turned into an office 8 or 9 years ago. But I suppose we aren't lucky to enough to get that back in this renovation.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 3:19 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
One of the things I always enjoyed about LAX was the quiet cubicle area in the back. No problem to go up front, get a drink, then slip back into the quiet. Sounds like that is gone along with the rotunda.

Ah, will see for myself in a few weeks. Sounds like I'm gonna miss the old SC but agree with others, it was getting way too crowded in there.
As of today the old cubicle area does not have a TV, but it had a lounge chair (for naps) as well as several brand new sofas. They also appeared to be placing a tiny bar (or at least a sink). I think it will remain very quiet but it has been nicely improved. That is where I plan to go...

What I did not like is sitting in the rotunda area. The slab is too thin and shakes when people walk across...
Old Jul 13, 2010, 6:43 am

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
Originally Posted by Mill Creek Don
Also, using a computer in the rotunda area picks up the terminal T-mobile signal, not the free SC one. You have to move towards the windows to switch signals in my experience..
I was through LAX last month during while the SC was closed and had no problem getting the SC T-Mobile Wifi in the McDonald's. I noticed 2-3 others doing the same.

MO
Old Jul 13, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
Originally Posted by wbl-mn-flyer
Did they do something about the smell?

Coming and going from the lounge and elevator/stair area, you have to endure the most nasty smell - I have no clue where it comes from but I assume the elevator goes down to the tarmac level of the airport and you get a lot of Prop 65 material coming and going between there and the passenger part of the airport. Very nasty stuff
The elevator is powered by hydraulic fluid and that is what you are smelling.

MO
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:46 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DP-340
As of today the old cubicle area does not have a TV, but it had a lounge chair (for naps) as well as several brand new sofas. They also appeared to be placing a tiny bar (or at least a sink). I think it will remain very quiet but it has been nicely improved. That is where I plan to go...
Thx for the update, sounds like this is where I will be going too as long as they don't stick a tv back there.

[/QUOTE]What I did not like is sitting in the rotunda area. The slab is too thin and shakes when people walk across...[/QUOTE]

Seriously, as in so thin that the floor may give out? Guess I will be walking around the old rotunda just to be safe.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:54 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I trust the showers are still available? They are a godsend after getting to LAX through the heat of southern Cal. Also a godsend to my fellow passengers.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 1:48 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by MachOne

MO

thanks.

good to know at least.

yuck!
Old Jul 13, 2010, 1:52 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by MachOne

MO
The elevator is ancient and takes forever.... LAX is in the process of replacing all elevators and escalators, but they won't complete this project until 2013 [LAX is on a lax schedule], so it might take awhile before they replace that elevator. In the meantime, I always take the stairs instead, it is fun seeing the person in the elevator the minute the door closes then seeing the person again at the SC counter waiting behind me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.