FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   LAX SkyClub renovations? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1056115-lax-skyclub-renovations.html)

Sez_Who Aug 10, 10 12:01 am

Originally Posted by iamhereandthere (Post 14436318)
I will be checking one out in a bit before a queue forms. I'm trying to wait for 12 hours of dirt to form first. ;) I'm so happy that I don't have to go 36 hours without a shower!

And I am sure the other pax appreciated it too! :D

<sorry, couldn't resist>

Here's my take from today...

There are two showers and they are functional, sort of. I used the one on the left which seems to have some issues. The sink is not the easiest to work with, the faucet is dripping, sometimes the sensor works for the faucet but sometimes it doesn't.

SC is well aware of the problems and told me there are plumbers in there every day but think the problem is coming from old pipes, affecting the sensor. Why only the left shower and not the right? No idea.

The shower itself is very nice. Actually there are two shower heads, one on the facing wall and on the right wall. However, neither is a massage-type head so the only reason to use 2 heads would be if you... uh, have company in the shower.

Overall, a big ^ to Delta for the LAX SC remodel. Only big failure is the old rotunda. The area now has about 50 seats but no power outlets, not even along the wall. Oh well, 2 steps forward, 1 step backward.

StayingHomeIsBetter Aug 10, 10 12:21 am

Originally Posted by fpm (Post 14404379)
I was there Friday evening and the taps were 2 BL and 2 MU.

Corona & Heineken in bottles, maybe some others.

The outlets are a problem in the main area; does not make sense to go through the renovation and not install plenty.

Four taps of cheap industrial swill.:td:

Obviously, the better beer was depleted first, and they had to backfill.;)

beckoa Aug 31, 10 1:40 am

Was able to access the LAX SC on a 3 hour AS layover... (which involved In N Out :D) and was impressed. They did a nice job, and could see how one could be confused if drinks were self-serve or not. I actually could not figure out how the hard liquor worked and had someone show me :o

Since I walked to In N Out I didn't have time to try the shower out, and left the SC at 45 minutes before my flight in T-3... tried getting the shuttle at 52B to T-3, but the agent was not very helpful, and said I could go rebook my flight since I wouldn't make it. So I bolted from T-5, thru the parking garages, and back into T-3.

Nice visit though :cool:

brazzleman Aug 31, 10 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by fpm (Post 14404379)
The outlets are a problem in the main area; does not make sense to go through the renovation and not install plenty.

The space is nice, but sitting there for a few hours a couple of weeks ago all you see is people wondering around looking for outlets - you'd think they'd either put in a charging station or some signage signifying the plug ins - instead people are leaning over looking behind chairs, undertables, etc.

iamhereandthere Sep 1, 10 6:46 am

That's a good idea on the signage. Better yet I'll bring a sign with me that says "broken" so when I go shower I'll have an outlet when I return. :)

golfingboy Sep 3, 10 9:11 pm

My first time visiting the SC since June [during the renovation :o].

I WANT TO APPLAUD DELTA FOR DOING SUCH A GREAT JOB IN RENOVATING THIS SKYCLUB! ^

*I am still mad that the reciprocal upgrades for AS elites is not in place on the DL side

Observations

1. The Skyclub is sooo much more spacier and roomier and it definitely has a more lounge feel to it.
2. The snack offerings is much better... More snack choices, the olives/carrots/celery/etc looks more fresh and REAL cheese :D
3. Better beer options... On tap there is Bud Light, Michelob Ultra, Sky Club pale ale, and Redhook ESB. I immediately went for Redhook and the minute I pulled the tap, I only got one drop :( So got Heineken instead. There are bottled Coronas, Heinekens, Odouls, etc. Also I like that some beer glasses are in the fridge which keeps it cool for when I want to drink one of the beers on tap.
4. The furnitures is much better, however, the chairs are too low. I am six foot tall and sitting at one of the black tables near the window my laptop is at the same level as my chest.
5. The liquor selection is not as good as before :( The selections at LAX was never as good as JFK or some lounges in ATL, but still... However, for better snack offerings, decent beer, and a much nicer lounge I'd be more than happy to settle for limited liquor selections [just don't put rock bottom liquors up there]
6. The lounge definitely could use some more power outlets like many mentioned already.
7. I like fact that they added some workstations near the window and two computers for public use as well as a printer area. It is nice to have some choices rather than having to imprison myself in the back where the restrooms are to utilize a workstation.
8. The SkyClub crew here is doing a superb job at making sure everything is fully stocked and keeping the entire area tidy.
9. The mens room was nice and the red tiles on the wall was unexpected :p but makes the restroom much livelier... The only drawback is that the soap dispenser is not automatic, but some of you might not care.

This is a HUGE improvement over the cramped, always hot, filthy, and beaten up LAX SC that I remember :)

Will check out the showers shortly ;)

All in all, Delta did a great job here in LAX and hopefully SkyMilesInsider will share the praises and feedback I have here to the SkyClub team!

HWGeeks Sep 14, 10 9:09 pm

when you go into the skylub and walk into the rotunda. There are I believe 4 sets of 4 square chairs each in a square.

When I walked in I said cool neat. My 13 year old nephew says hey they have swastikas in here. I then lookd at them again and sure enough they do look like swastikas, anyone else notice this?

vxmike Oct 16, 10 5:43 pm

Observations from my first visit to the remodeled SC on Thursday night.

1) The lack of power outlets on a busy night is a disaster. I ended up charging my laptop in the shower room while I showered!

2) I really, really like the weird groups of four red/tan seats in the area directly behind reception. Very comfortable and nice private secluded feel. Good for sleeping too.

3) I personally prefer self-serve bars so I can pour drinks exactly how I want, but the hard liquor dispensers are quite difficult to use...I had a fellow patron teach me how to pour the vodka after fumbling for a minute.

4) The coffee machine has only half the options of the SEA SC for example. Where is the mocha??

Overall not a bad effort except for the power issue. Glad I bought the netbook with the 6 cell battery!

avidflyer Oct 16, 10 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by vxmike (Post 14958068)
I had a fellow patron teach me how to pour the vodka after fumbling for a minute.!

Yes they are a bit funky. You push up and it measures a shot (which of course means I repeat that step at least one more time:)).

vxmike Oct 16, 10 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer (Post 14958085)
Yes they are a bit funky. You push up and it measures a shot (which of course means I repeat that step at least one more time:)).

Indeed it's still awkward even when you know how they work. I fail to understand why the need for multiple prongs around the dispensing tip? Also seems unsanitary to have peoples' fingers so close to where the booze actually pours from. The SC glasses aren't are actually large enough to engage the device as I suspect might be the intended usage, so people are of course using their hands to facilitate the pour.

OTOH I've found that Skyy and Baileys makes a nice faux White Russian :-:

chimphappyhour Aug 29, 11 10:08 pm

Bummer about the beer selection. A day pass to the LAX SC was part of my layover plans. Might have to rethink that part.

TheMadBrewer Aug 29, 11 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by chimphappyhour (Post 17020144)
Bummer about the beer selection. A day pass to the LAX SC was part of my layover plans. Might have to rethink that part.

Last month they had Red Hook ESB and "Pacific Ridge Pale Ale" -- a fake craft beer from the folks that brought you Bud. The Red Hook tap has often been empty.

DeltaWings Aug 29, 11 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter (Post 14452792)
Four taps of cheap industrial swill.:td:

Obviously, the better beer was depleted first, and they had to backfill.;)

I was there last week and they had Redhook ESB on tap - a great beer. Just visited their brewery in New Hampshire at the beginning of this month, actually.

You still can't find a seat there at night -- walked around for 30 minutes Thursday before I was able to find a seat. +1 on the comments on the lack of power, but

Couldn't find the showers when I was poking around?

Also, the cleaning guy there is particularly anal about his work -- had the men's room closed twice for an hour each time in a period of three hours. It was almost comical.

beckoa Aug 30, 11 7:53 am

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer (Post 17020336)
Last month they had Red Hook ESB and "Pacific Ridge Pale Ale" -- a fake craft beer from the folks that brought you Bud. The Red Hook tap has often been empty.

Was wonderin what the heck that was... glad I avoided it :p

beckoa Aug 30, 11 7:55 am

Originally Posted by DeltaWings (Post 17020445)
I was there last week and they had Redhook ESB on tap - a great beer. Just visited their brewery in New Hampshire at the beginning of this month, actually.

You still can't find a seat there at night -- walked around for 30 minutes Thursday before I was able to find a seat. +1 on the comments on the lack of power, but

Couldn't find the showers when I was poking around?

Also, the cleaning guy there is particularly anal about his work -- had the men's room closed twice for an hour each time in a period of three hours. It was almost comical.

showers are near the back room- take a left from the bathrooms- need to have an agent unlock though and possibly be put on a list- but they page you when its open. Not bad- had one after a redeye from ANC yesterday.