FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   ga refused to let my companions board with me (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1055515-ga-refused-let-my-companions-board-me.html)

jenniparks Feb 23, 2010 2:03 pm

ga refused to let my companions board with me

Today at sfo for sfo-dtw flight ga refused to let my companions board with me during breezeway boarding. She said she had never heard of companions being allowed to board out of zone and made them wait. This is literally the first time its ever happened to me. Is she just being ignorant or really have all the other ga been extra nice and bending policy?

-a cranky jenni stuck on an airbus-no ife, no wifi_ the HORROR

GBadger Feb 23, 2010 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by jenniparks (Post 13448656)
Today at sfo for sfo-dtw flight ga refused to let my companions board with me during breezeway boarding. She said she had never heard of companions being allowed to board out of zone and made them wait. This is literally the first time its ever happened to me. Is she just being ignorant or really have all the other ga been extra nice and bending policy?

Were you on the same PNR? If not, I don't think the Medallion benefits extend to the other party.

raehl311 Feb 23, 2010 2:09 pm

Indeed, if you're not on the same record, then they are not, for the purposes of the airline, your companions. They're just other people on the flight, like everyone else.

PepeBorja Feb 23, 2010 2:11 pm

I usually approach the GA before boarding and ask for his/her permission to board my family with me during FC time. I wait to the tail end of FC boarding and then go right in.

Never been denied before.

pdac1975 Feb 23, 2010 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311 (Post 13448700)
Indeed, if you're not on the same record, then they are not, for the purposes of the airline, your companions. They're just other people on the flight, like everyone else.

Not to mention you said "Companions" implying it was more than one person. If it had just been one person, they might have let you slide even though technically they have no obligation to do so.

jenniparks Feb 23, 2010 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by GBadger (Post 13448681)
Were you on the same PNR? If not, I don't think the Medallion benefits extend to the other party.

That's so odd. I mean i can always check them in with me at the medallion check-in desk, i can upgrade them on k fares or higher (since last year delta extended this to companions not on your PNR), and all previous GA in the past 2 years have let them board with me. It was only this one lone ex-NWA ga that said no way. I guess from what others have posted all the other GA from Delta have been bending rules.

It's also odd to me we weren't served drinks before take off in FC- i've never seen that either.

GBadger Feb 23, 2010 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by jenniparks (Post 13449374)
That's so odd. I mean i can always check them in with me at the medallion check-in desk, i can upgrade them on k fares or higher (since last year delta extended this to companions not on your PNR), and all previous GA in the past 2 years have let them board with me. It was only this one lone ex-NWA ga that said no way. I guess from what others have posted all the other GA from Delta have been bending rules.

It's also odd to me we weren't served drinks before take off in FC- i've never seen that either.

Ok, so you weren't really interested in the answer to the question, but were looking to blame something else on NW (again). I see...

Unfortunately for you, it's not just the NW folks who are in agreement that these benefits are normally only extended to those in the same reservation. So yes, it's likely that the other GAs were being friendly (or indifferent).

NHFL9 Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm

I've always been able to have a companion board with me, use the first class check-in line, etc. Only had a problem in MAD when the agent tried to prevent my fiancee from boarding with me in Zone 2. She quickly backed down saying because we were "seated together" it was ok. One and only time in many, many flights.

jenniparks Feb 23, 2010 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by GBadger (Post 13449520)
Ok, so you weren't really interested in the answer to the question, but were looking to blame something else on NW (again). I see...

Unfortunately for you, it's not just the NW folks who are in agreement that these benefits are normally only extended to those in the same reservation. So yes, it's likely that the other GAs were being friendly (or indifferent).

wait, what? I don't have anything against NWA flight attendants or ga and I was the one who confirmed in my reply that based on what everyone on the thread was saying it seemed the ga have historically just been super nice and making allowances. i wasn't being sarcastic, i was being genuine. I have no doubt that it's the case, i just think it's odd. True, but odd. Which is what i was expressing.

amps Feb 23, 2010 4:00 pm

I usually book my wife's itin separately because I am on work funded ticket and she is paid by us. I have never had a GA say she couldn't board with me.

GBadger Feb 23, 2010 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by jenniparks (Post 13449612)
wait, what?

Sorry, this:

Originally Posted by jenniparks (Post 13448656)

and this:

...It was only this one lone ex-NWA ga that said no way. I guess from what others have posted all the other GA from Delta have been bending rules. ...

led me to believe that you were being sarcastic. I apologize if that was not the case.

edscholl Feb 23, 2010 4:12 pm

That's so odd. I mean i can always check them in with me at the medallion check-in desk

i've had a friend on a different pnr denied checkin at the medallion desk in lax and cun.

Burj Feb 23, 2010 4:16 pm

My family has always been able to board with me...but as we are usually on the same PNR....we ALL have "breezeway" printed on our boarding passes...

amps Feb 23, 2010 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by edscholl (Post 13449719)
i've had a friend on a different pnr denied checkin at the medallion desk in lax and cun.

This must be GA specific or special treatment for certain medallions... who knows. Even in this case Delta has never denied my friends (multiple) to check in with me at the medallion desk.

Marylou Feb 23, 2010 4:24 pm

If you and companions were in F, then shouldn't they also have been breezeway eligible ?

If you were in F and they were in Y, then I totally side with the GA. They really were not travelling companions and would have no need for boarding along with you.