Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How does this "bump/overbooking" process work?

Old Feb 23, 10, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Skymiles

I am scheduled to fly to San Diego on March 04, out of Atlanta on flight 1039. It leaves at 8:20 am. I went to check on my seats and is showing that there are no available seats which tells me that they are booked, and/or overbooked. It turns out that I am pretty flexible with my schedule, and would be more than happy to give up my seat if I can get a later flight the same day. How would I go about doing this, and what should I expect in return? Should I mention this at the gate, or at the ticket counter? I am new to all of this, but any help would be great. Thanks.
Old Feb 23, 10, 3:28 am

Programs: Delta PM, Alaska
It doesn't necessarily mean that all the seats are taken. That's happened to me a few times, and when I got to the airport I discovered there were a lot of seats; they had just blocked them online for some reason. (Probably other FT-ers will have more of a clue why they do this.)

Ask at the ticket counter if the flight actually is overbooked. If it is, be first in line when the gate agent arrives. Ask if they are looking for volunteers, and if so, what the compensation is. They may take your name, or maybe your boarding pass, in case your seat is needed. You'll probably have to wait until everyone is boarded, so if they end up not needing your seat, you risk not having any space in the overhead bins; but that's part of the gamble.

If you hit the jackpot, they'll offer you anywhere from a $200 to $400 voucher. You can try to negotiate, but lately they've been kind of in a "take it or leave it" mood. If they offer a choice between the dollar-amount voucher or a free ticket, take the voucher, because there are so many restrictions on when you can use the ticket, and it doesn't accumulate mileage. The vouchers can be used like cash to buy a ticket--and you get SkyMiles for your flight. Not that the SkyMiles are good for much. LOL.
Old Feb 23, 10, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Using a free tool such as www.Seatcounter.com gives you better insight into the actual inventory available. Currently for DL1039 on 4 March, the flight is showing with AT LEAST 9 seats in Coach available for sale. The cheapest fare class of T has 5 seats for sale. Therefore there seems to be plenty of seats and as of now, unlikely for an overbooking situation. To be likely to be oversold, the numbers would be all colored red with 0s across the board.

As to why it may seem that seats are all taken... some seats are reserved for Delta Medallions, partner Elites or those flying on full fare (expensive) tickets. Also, some seats are blocked off, can't be pre-selected and left for assignment at the airport.
Old Feb 23, 10, 3:39 am

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Don't forget that you may also request meal vouchers and a possible bump up to F on your rebooked flight.

Originally Posted by YDJanet View Post
It doesn't necessarily mean that all the seats are taken. That's happened to me a few times, and when I got to the airport I discovered there were a lot of seats; they had just blocked them online for some reason. (Probably other FT-ers will have more of a clue why they do this.)
I can offer one scenario, although it's uncommon. The "overbooked" flight had a FBI/CIA/TSA "person of interest" on it, and the TSA decided to throw several extra FAMs on onboard. The person of interest then missed the flight or for some reason did not end up flying. This would certainly account for a last-minute shift in several seats at once.
Old Feb 23, 10, 6:22 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by grandeflipper View Post
I am scheduled to fly to San Diego on March 04, out of Atlanta on flight 1039. It leaves at 8:20 am. I went to check on my seats and is showing that there are no available seats which tells me that they are booked, and/or overbooked. It turns out that I am pretty flexible with my schedule, and would be more than happy to give up my seat if I can get a later flight the same day. How would I go about doing this, and what should I expect in return? Should I mention this at the gate, or at the ticket counter? I am new to all of this, but any help would be great. Thanks.
Welcome to FT....

While the seat map may show no seats available, some people will be upgraded to first class and that will open up some seats in coach.

Bob H
Old Feb 23, 10, 1:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Delta blocks an outregous number of seats till 3 hours till departure time.
Old Feb 23, 10, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier
DL1039 on 3/4 is showing F9Y9 (and the only inventory bucket that isn't at 9 is T, which is at 5), which tells me that this flight is pretty wide open still. As NWA012 notes, Delta holds back a good number of seats back until 3 hours before departure, especially on the 757s.
Old Feb 23, 10, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by mersk862 View Post
DL1039 on 3/4 is showing F9Y9 (and the only inventory bucket that isn't at 9 is T, which is at 5), which tells me that this flight is pretty wide open still.
Didn't I say the same thing this morning?
Old Feb 27, 10, 10:33 am

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
I'm in the MSP lounge and just inquired about my DTW-FRA flight later this afternoon. The agent said "oh yeah, it's oversold, by 4 in the front and 6 in the back" when queried.

Thing is, this is a quick turn MR on a T fare. I don't really want to give up my exit row seats for $400 then sit in bad seats for 20 some hours. I'd rather have a BE upgrade, which I'm certain that Dulta would never give on a T fare.

Is it 120 minutes before the scheduled departure that they open a INTL gate?
Old Feb 27, 10, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lotalota View Post
I'd rather have a BE upgrade, which I'm certain that Dulta would never give on a T fare.
Never say never.
Old Feb 27, 10, 10:44 am

Programs: DL GM / MM, Nat'l EE, Radisson Rewards, Marriott Silver
Bumped from the msp-bos flight this morning... got some good first class re-routing and the almighty travel voucher... definitely helped being the first person there when the ga arrived.... this is the first time in the last 10 or so that they've actually needed me... yeah!!!
Old Feb 27, 10, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NWA012 View Post
Delta blocks an outregous number of seats till 3 hours till departure time.
Any ideas why they do this differently? What is "outrageous"? We already know row 5's on the A319/20...
Old Feb 28, 10, 2:45 am

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 8830: BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.61 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Originally Posted by lotalota View Post
I'd rather have a BE upgrade, which I'm certain that Dulta would never give on a T fare.
Never say never.
Well, I can say never this time. Good morning from Germany!
Old Feb 28, 10, 3:38 am

Programs: UA, DL, HA, QF (ex-TW, AA, NW)
I'm not sure of seatcounter's reliability.

Overall, it's pretty good, but I'm watching my flight right now (DL278, leaving in a couple hours)... Seatcounter has been showing it all zeroed in back and all 9's in front, but the seat selection map shows 3 seats open in back (in case I wanted to change to a worse seat for some reason...) so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Of course, it'd be nice if Seatcounter is right, and those three seats belong to people who just haven't been able to select seats for whatever reason. Or better yet, if there are, say, ten people who're booked in back and haven't selected seats... and DL needs to move some plats up on the last day before diamonds take over everything...

As of 1:10 before departure time, all seats in coach were assigned according to delta.com. I didn't get an op-up, though, so they must have managed load "just right" - or there were higher-LTV folks on the flight who got it. I did wind up next to the friend of the girl in 21C, who proceeded to trade seats with me.

Last edited by DanTravels; Feb 28, 10 at 2:50 pm Reason: Took the flight; no op-up this time
Old Feb 28, 10, 5:34 am

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
My flight from ATL-DTW yesterday morning was oversold. You will get a message when you check in letting you know the flight is oversold and giving you the option to volunteer for a bump. No need to stand in line, nor even bother the GA. You can handle this at the kiosk now.

Funny how one person's "hit the jackpot" can be another person's annoyance! I'm glad that there are those who would find being bumped to be a good thing.

Also remember that many of us will same-day-confirm to a different flight, so even if the flight appears to be full, there may be DM/PM/GM seats that wind up open that day. (Personally, I SDC 75% or the time.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: