Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Strategy for KE award flights using DL miles

Strategy for KE award flights using DL miles

Old Feb 4, 12, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by CatJo View Post
Spoke with another agent, used non-blackout dates this time (July 2, 4 etc.), and was told that Korean is (paraphrasing) "not making the O class available for Skymiles tickets, just for purchase".

So what's going on here? I specifically told the agent that O class was indeed available on the flights I wanted, and she said I can't book those with Skymiles.
Try again. The agent clearly doesn't know that the booking classes have changed if s/he thinks that O is a bucket for sale. Perhaps ask to talk to a supervisor or see if they can send you to a SkyTeam desk (does that thing still exist?). O used to be a revenue biz bucket, but it's not any more.
Old Feb 4, 12, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mtkeller View Post
1 July is clearly a blackout date, so that's probably part of the problem.

Mid-March to early April should be outside the blackout dates. I would trust what the EF and KVS reps have said in that these should be available to partners. Did you try calling another agent? Did you make sure the agent was looking for O class and not D class (the previous award booking class)?

The O bucket means low level.
Yes, I called SM three times, and made sure in all cases that they were looking at O class. It was obvious in the first case that the agent had no idea what she was doing as she had to contact her supervisor. I was on hold at least 30 minutes in all three times, and gave up after the third time. Where is Chilsolm when I need them?
Old Feb 5, 12, 10:00 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

but two DL agents said there was nothing available for SkyMiles members; how does one redeem award tickets or find availability for SkyMiles redemption? I thought O class was all one needed, and could then redeem at the low level similar to AF/KLM?
I would trust what the EF and KVS reps have said in that these should be available to partners.
Indeed, this is, most likely, an Agent issue.

Spoke with another agent, used non-blackout dates this time (July 2, 4 etc.), and was told that Korean is (paraphrasing) "not making the O class available for Skymiles tickets, just for purchase".
Did you ask how, exactly, was (s)he able to determine that?

Try again. The agent clearly doesn't know that the booking classes have changed if s/he thinks that O is a bucket for sale.
And for additional tips on dealing with Agents, please see http://Help.KVSTool.com/#AgentSaysNo

Perhaps ask to talk to a supervisor or see if they can send you to a SkyTeam desk (does that thing still exist?).
Yes, it still exists; and KE also has its own SkyTeam Desk, where DL can call for assistance.
Old Feb 6, 12, 4:17 pm

The EF search results only correspond to the availability on KE if using KE miles for redemption.
Using DL miles always had less availability on KE flights and is still the case.
I just tried to redeem DL skymiles with two O seats available on EF, but DL reps still don't see it as available.
Old Feb 6, 12, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by mainbill View Post
The EF search results only correspond to the availability on KE if using KE miles for redemption.
Using DL miles always had less availability on KE flights and is still the case.
I just tried to redeem DL skymiles with two O seats available on EF, but DL reps still don't see it as available.
Considering that this contradicts what KVS and EF reps (or at least one of them, too lazy to go look it up) have said KE told them, I'm inclined to believe that this is likely more inept agents. They've always had issues booking KE seats, so why should it be any easier when the award bucket has changed?
Old Feb 6, 12, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, AS MVPG, Hyatt DIA, PC PLAT, Club Carl Gold, HH Gold, Accor Dia
There is a commenter on both gleff's & lucky's blogs regarding this announcement that stated you need to subtract two seats from the inventory that EF shows in order to deduce the qty of award seats being made available to partners.

As crazy as it sounds this actually is a logical based on my experience. Often on routes where DL has claimed there is only 1 seat available to me EF shows "O" = 3. On intra-asia routss where I have never had an issue finding 2 seats together I can see now that EF shows "O" = 5 loaded for most dates.
Old Feb 6, 12, 9:25 pm

Considering that this contradicts what KVS and EF reps (or at least one of them, too lazy to go look it up) have said KE told them, I'm inclined to believe that this is likely more inept agents. They've always had issues booking KE seats, so why should it be any easier when the award bucket has changed?
You may assume the EF rep's word as the holy truth and believe all they say, but rest assured their search result only corresponds to what shows up on KE website only.
I have redeemed many DL miles on KE flights, but the number of open seats shown on KE website never corresponded with what the DL agents saw in the DL system in the past and still is the case now.
Old Feb 6, 12, 9:44 pm
Company Representative - ExpertFlyer.com

Originally Posted by mainbill View Post
You may assume the EF rep's word as the holy truth and believe all they say, but rest assured their search result only corresponds to what shows up on KE website only.
I have redeemed many DL miles on KE flights, but the number of open seats shown on KE website never corresponded with what the DL agents saw in the DL system in the past and still is the case now.
Hi everyone, just to be clear, we are not claiming this is the case. As noted in the Help for the Award & Upgrade results page:

"The Award & Upgrade information is only valid for flights flown on the searched airline (not code shares) and only when using miles/points/certificates from the searched airline, not partner airlines."

Partner airline availability may match the native airline availability in many cases, but that is not something we can claim or guarantee for any specific airline.
Old Feb 29, 12, 9:39 am

Programs: Delta FO
Just noticed today on Expert Flyer that O class is no longer being shown. Just I and Z. Tried many dates and routes to no avail.

Anyone else having a similar experience? Hopefully it's just a temporary down time issue.
Old Feb 29, 12, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by reed2x View Post
Just noticed today on Expert Flyer that O class is no longer being shown. Just I and Z. Tried many dates and routes to no avail.

Anyone else having a similar experience? Hopefully it's just a temporary down time issue.
I'm seeing the same thing. Paging ExpertFlyer Voice to hopefully confirm that this is a temporary glitch and not KE discontinuing the publication of this very useful data. Anyone with a KVS subscription care to check if KE inventory still shows up there? Wandering Aramean's ability to show KE O inventory wasn't working when I tried a couple weeks back, so I would guess he's not got it now either.
Old Feb 29, 12, 12:18 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Anyone with a KVS subscription care to check if KE inventory still shows up there?
KE Business Award Availability ("O") continues to be accessible via the KVS Tool:

http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Classes

[KVS Availability Tool 6.9.5/Diamond - Sabre: Availability/FS/US]
Code:
ICN  Seoul Incheon Intl KR [RKSI]
LAX  Los Angeles Intl CA US [KLAX]
SUN  01 Apr 2012

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -----------------------------------------------------------
CO/UA      890     ICN   12:40     LAX   11:18     777      J9 C9 D9 Z9 Y9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 L9 K9
KE         17      ICN   15:15     LAX   10:25     388      R9 A4 J9 D9 I9 Z7 O1 Y9 W9 B9 M9 H9 E9 K9 Q9 T9 G0
DL/KE      7859    ICN   15:15     LAX   10:25     388      F4 J9 C9 D9 I6 S6 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 K0 L0 U0 T0
OZ         202     ICN   16:30     LAX   11:30     747      F0 A0 C0 D0 J0 Z0 Y9 B9 M9 H9 E9 Q9 L9 K9 V9 S9 W9 T9 G9
UA/OZ      7975    ICN   16:30     LAX   11:30     747      F0 A0 J0 C0 D0 Z0 Y4 B4 M4 U0 H4 Q4 V4 W4 S4 T0 L0 K0 G0 E0
KE         11      ICN   20:00     LAX   14:45     744      P9 A2 C9 D8 I4 Z3 O1 Y9 W9 B9 M9 H9 E9 K9 Q9 T9 G0
DL/KE      7861    ICN   20:00     LAX   14:45     744      F4 J9 C9 D3 I0 S0 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0
OZ         204     ICN   20:20     LAX   15:20     777      C1 D0 J0 Z0 Y9 B9 M9 H9 E9 Q9 L4 K9 V4 S9 W4 T1 G1
UA/OZ      7977    ICN   20:20     LAX   15:20     777      J0 C0 D0 Z0 Y4 B4 M4 U0 H4 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 E0
Old Feb 29, 12, 1:08 pm

Programs: Delta FO
Thank you KVS!

I checked the same date/route as your example on expertflyer and it does not list O availability. Might be time to renew my KVS subscription.
Old Feb 29, 12, 2:25 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM
Bump!

I could see KE "O" on ExpertFlyer as of midnight last night, but now seems to be completely gone from EF. Wasn't sure at first if it is a KE or EF issue. (Delta reservation claims they can see KE award inventory when I called today to ask, but I ended up booking Delta metal reasons other than KE availability.)

Last edited by Bowgie; Feb 29, 12 at 6:52 pm
Old Feb 29, 12, 2:36 pm

Programs: Some good, some bad
Originally Posted by Bowgie View Post
I could see KE "O" on ExpertFlyer as of midnight last night, but now seems to be completely gone from EF. Wasn't sure at first if it is a KE or EF issue.
Help! I intended to book an KE award with Skymiles today.
Same for me - on seeing it last night of EF, not seeing it today, and intending to book it today.
Old Feb 29, 12, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by reed2x View Post
Might be time to renew my KVS subscription.
You might want to wait on that. If you do the availability search on FlightStats (where the FS method of KVS is screen scraped from), you'll see that O class isn't there:

He's either using old data or making it up, but it clearly isn't there. Go to http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...vailability.do and see for yourself, O class isn't there.

Last edited by pete4212; Feb 29, 12 at 2:57 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: