Strategy for KE award flights using DL miles

Old Mar 9, 11, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver
Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
Are you sure that DeltaTragic can price more than 8 segments?
Yes, Tragic is actually good at this. It is even able to automatically find out how to break the itinerary to minimize the miles required. I've tried to book a 9-segment US-Asia award ticket on delta.com, which included domestic flights and intra-Asia flights. Delta.com correctly split the intra-Asia flights out so there was 20K additional miles (before the intra-Asia rate got inflated, of course). OTOH, splitting the domestic flight out will result in 25K additional miles.
Old Apr 6, 11, 3:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Any idea when new D (Business) DL availability might be available?

I used 120,000 miles to book 10/27/11 - 11/3/11:

BOM-ICN-IAD (D/U)
IAD-ICN-BOM (D/U)

I started out with only one D segment (Prestige/Business), then I called back today and got another D for one return segment - so a D for DL was added sometime in the last 2 weeks - I guess I lucked out. Rather than luck - anyone have any advice to snag D for my remaining two segments? Any idea when these might be made available? Weekends, midnight, or just random? Someone said DL only gets one ticket per flight, someone else showed that wasn't always the case.

Thanks for any tips - this thread is VERY helpful - DL would charge 145,000 for economy, 350,000 for business! (and DL has no one-stops using awards)
Old Apr 7, 11, 12:00 am

Programs: Happily off the elite hamster wheel
I think it may be just random. You have a lot of time between now and when you are leaving. I'd call randomly once, maybe 2x a week, and start ramping up the times you call as you approach your departure within 2 months.
Old Apr 20, 11, 10:12 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
deleted ... wrong forum
Old Dec 15, 11, 2:42 pm

Easier than I thought

I was surprised at how easy it was to book BE/First RIC-ATL, ATL-ICN, have a three day stay in Seoul, and then ICN-NRT-PVG, with an open jaw return from PEK-DTW, DTW-RIC for early Fall, 2012. The original itinerary was KE36 from ATL-ICN. The KE website had conflicting information about whether this was a flat bed. I called KE and they said no (it will be a 747). The return was originally PEK-SEA, SEA-ATL. Those 767s are not yet scheduled to have the flat beds. So I changed the outbound to KE34 (777 with flat beds) and the return to PEK-DTW which has the flat beds. It was 170,000 miles for each ticket (we have two). Out of curiosity, does anyone know the Prestige Class meal service on KE34? It departs at 00:30, and I was wondering whether they actually serve the main meal at what might be 02:00 for most passengers.
Old Dec 15, 11, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ehe123 View Post
I was surprised at how easy it was to book BE/First RIC-ATL, ATL-ICN, have a three day stay in Seoul, and then ICN-NRT-PVG, with an open jaw return from PEK-DTW, DTW-RIC for early Fall, 2012. The original itinerary was KE36 from ATL-ICN. The KE website had conflicting information about whether this was a flat bed. I called KE and they said no (it will be a 747). The return was originally PEK-SEA, SEA-ATL. Those 767s are not yet scheduled to have the flat beds. So I changed the outbound to KE34 (777 with flat beds) and the return to PEK-DTW which has the flat beds. It was 170,000 miles for each ticket (we have two). Out of curiosity, does anyone know the Prestige Class meal service on KE34? It departs at 00:30, and I was wondering whether they actually serve the main meal at what might be 02:00 for most passengers.
I thought KE should just be 120k for an award. Is the domestic leg being added on?

KE has pretty good food. A Korean option, and then some western ones. Not what I'd describe as five star, but I usually enjoy it more than the DL food.
Old Dec 15, 11, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
I thought KE should just be 120k for an award. Is the domestic leg being added on?

KE has pretty good food. A Korean option, and then some western ones. Not what I'd describe as five star, but I usually enjoy it more than the DL food.
Take the steak on KE. Always excellent. Not 5, no, but better than Applebee's or Chilli's "restaurant" steak, in fact. And cooked to order (a term that Dullta seems to be totally foreign of with its perpetual choice in 10 hour long BE flights of "chicken or pasta").
Old Dec 15, 11, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Plat, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I'd be curious to know too
Old Dec 16, 11, 7:07 am

This is a complicated open jaw itinerary, with only one leg (ATL-ICN) on KE. The other legs are all on DL. The initial itinerary (with KE36 from ATL-ICN and then PEK-SEA, SEA-ATL) actually came to 210k. No answer yet about the meal service times.
Old Dec 16, 11, 10:31 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles DM/2MM, AA EXP, IC RA, Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Does anyone have recent or not-so-recent experience with redeeming DL SkyMiles for Prestige/Business Class seats on KE 1/KE 2 LAX-NRT nonstop? I'd be looking for two seats on the same flights.
Old Dec 17, 11, 12:50 am

Programs: A3 *G, fmr DL PM
Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
KE availability is usually just one seat per flight (coach or business)
I live in Seoul. It is the best kept secret for being PM/DM and having SkyMiles as long as you are not in a blackout period. I redeem about every 1-2 months on KE. I've never not been able to get in the flight I've called for. And with PM status, you can call and book with no fee, and if you change your mind, it's easy to redeposit the miles with no penalty as long as it's more than 3 days out.

It only costs 15,000 miles to fly to Tokyo (GMP-HND) round trip! And I can get to the Philippines, the closest tropical destination, to lay on the beach for 25,000 miles in Y, and 40,000 miles in C.

Blackouts imposed by DL, do suck though.

And most of the times that I call, the agents see about 2-4 redeemable mileage seats.

It is something to shake your head about, when it is easier to live in another country and be a DL frequent flyer member, because SkyMiles are 100x more useful here than in the states.
Old Dec 28, 11, 7:53 am

Programs: EBD
Originally Posted by fiveninerzero View Post
It is something to shake your head about, when it is easier to live in another country and be a DL frequent flyer member, because SkyMiles are 100x more useful here than in the states.
I second that. Living in Sweden, redeeming on AF/KL/KE.
Old Feb 2, 12, 7:10 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

I noticed that Expert Flyer now shows business class awards (not just upgrades) for KE as of 1.Mar.2012. I wonder if this indicates awards that we can redeem with SkyMiles or if this indicates awards that they release to their own program only...
Old Feb 2, 12, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, etc.
Originally Posted by xracer View Post
I noticed that Expert Flyer now shows business class awards (not just upgrades) for KE as of 1.Mar.2012.
I saw the same thing on Expert Flyer. KVS also has it listed, effective March 1. Hope that the availability is applicable for SkyMiles redemption! Any insight form folks in the forum would be appreciated.
Old Feb 2, 12, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
That should drive some people to pay for ExpertFlyer.

Search this Thread