Strategy for KE award flights using DL miles

Old Feb 8, 11, 9:41 pm

I have had very very good luck finding KE availability for coach inter-asia (yes, they are more difficult t-pac) Infact I booked a ticket a few hours ago, ICN-HKG-TPE-CTS-ICN with ICN-HKG & CTS-ICN on KE, and the others on CI. Strangely, they said my forced overnight in TPE counted as a stopover and therefore I needed to spend 30,000 miles for this econo-ticket.

I sent them an email about it, as normally a routing like this should only be 20,000.
Old Mar 9, 11, 1:55 am

Programs: Happily off the elite hamster wheel
2011 KE Blackout Dates

After several hours on various airline websites, expertflyer, and on the phone with DL, I finally was able to piece together an itinerary I wanted in J for 120k skypesos.

JFK-ICN-CAN-BKK-(stop)-KUL(long overnight layover to visit the city)-PVG(destination)-ICN-IAD

But I was able to score these KE flights:
JFK-ICN KE86
PVG-ICN KE896
ICN-IAD KE93

I went through about 3 different itineraries, and amazingly I was able to find outbound TPAC ATL-ICN, and inbound ICN-YYZ. But I had to change it around during the hold period. Anyway,...

Here are the blackout dates for 2011 if anybody needs them for research:

1/1 - 1/9
2/1 - 2/7
2/26 - 3/1
5/5 - 5/10
5/20 - 7/3
7/16 - 8/28
9/10 - 9/14
10/1 - 10/3
12/9 - 12/31

I also have the CI or MU blackout dates if anybody needs them.
Old Mar 9, 11, 6:44 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles DM/2MM, AA EXP, IC RA, Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Which ATL flight did you find availability for? When KE ran only the daytime flight, it was basically never available for awards in Business. Good to see availability on the JFK and IAD flights.
Old Mar 9, 11, 7:49 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by Spicy B View Post
I also have the CI or MU blackout dates if anybody needs them.
If you could post them that that would be great, thanks!
Old Mar 9, 11, 10:57 am

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by thepointsguy View Post
If you could post them that that would be great, thanks!
Or you can just refer to this existing thread that already has them:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...out-dates.html

Not sure what's the point to get the same info reposted multiple times, esp. as here it doesn't seem to be the official blackout dates from the fare rules, so it may or may not be accurate (the only accurate blackout dates one can get from fare rules online - then to save others the 30-60 seconds to get it themselves, so can be copy and pasted and posted here -, never trust what an agent tells you, as it is likely to be incomplete and inaccurate)

Or you can just go to delta.com, do any dummy int'l award booking, and click on "fare rules" to get them for yourself anytime easily, with less than 60 seconds of effort. But, then it takes another 60 seconds to copy and pate and clean it up for clearer reading. So, you can save a total of 120 seconds by just looking at the existing thread that already has them.

But never, ever trust what agents tell you or anything you do not see in writing black and white under the actual fare rules for blackout dates (or a direct copy and paste of those), as anything else is quite likely to be inaccurate.
Old Mar 9, 11, 11:03 am

Programs: Happily off the elite hamster wheel
Originally Posted by MegatopLover View Post
Which ATL flight did you find availability for? When KE ran only the daytime flight, it was basically never available for awards in Business. Good to see availability on the JFK and IAD flights.
My first flight I found was

15 April 2011
KE34
0030a-0420a
ATL-ICN

In that first itinerary, I did also snag

25 April 2011
MU587
1200p-1415p
PVG-JFK

but that added wayyyyyy too much in taxes. I'm assuming fuel surcharges.
Old Mar 9, 11, 12:00 pm

Programs: Delta FO

JFK-ICN-CAN-BKK-(stop)-KUL(long overnight layover to visit the city)-PVG(destination)-ICN-IAD
That's an impressive itinerary. Congrats
Did you have any problem with number of flight segments/stopovers/open jaw/maximum permissable miles?

To me it looks like
1 open jaw JFK/IAD
1 stopovers BKK and a 2nd stopover in KUL??
5 segments outbound
2 segments return

I thought the rule was 3 segments max outbound and 3 segments max return. Didn't know that mix/match was permitted (ie 4 out/2 return)

How about maximum permissable miles? KUL is pretty out of the way for a trip to PVG.
Old Mar 9, 11, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Where do you get the idea of any segment # limitations? Such are not listed anywhere under Award Travel Rules.

Maxium segments DeltaMatic can price out are 8. It can ticket more than 8 (e.g. 10), but it can't price out more than 8. If you want more than 8 segments, you need to get it first ticketed/priced with 8, then get the agent to "revalidate" (w/o repricing) the ticket with more than 8.

A <24 connection is not a stopover, it is a connection.
Old Mar 9, 11, 3:56 pm

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
Are there any routing restrictions between destination (for example MEL) and stopover (SYD)? Seems like the only way to do MEL-SYD is MEL-ICN-SYD, is that allowed?
Old Mar 9, 11, 4:20 pm

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Originally Posted by slowly View Post
Are there any routing restrictions between destination (for example MEL) and stopover (SYD)? Seems like the only way to do MEL-SYD is MEL-ICN-SYD, is that allowed?
Sorry, but this won't work. It is allowed but it will count as Australia-Asia round-trip and not a MEL-SYD one-way or whatever. Wishful thinking.
Old Mar 9, 11, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by slowly View Post
Look into the Virgin Blue air pass to get around Oz and NZ. Decent fares (not as good since USD is weak, but some nice options still) and includes a checked bag for free that you normally wouldn't get on DJ.
Old Mar 9, 11, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver

25 April 2011
MU587
1200p-1415p
PVG-JFK

but that added wayyyyyy too much in taxes. I'm assuming fuel surcharges.
Yes, DL charges a hefty fuel surcharge on award ticket for long haul flights operated by some of its partner airlines, including CZ, MU, CI, VA, MH, etc. A TPAC round trip on these airlines may have >$400 in fuel surcharge.
Old Mar 9, 11, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver
The maximum number of segments on a DL award is 8, and mix-and-match is permitted.

When an itinerary exceeds the maximum permitted mileage, it will be considered as two awards, and correspondingly it will allow a maximum of 16 segments.

Originally Posted by reed2x View Post
That's an impressive itinerary. Congrats
Did you have any problem with number of flight segments/stopovers/open jaw/maximum permissable miles?

To me it looks like
1 open jaw JFK/IAD
1 stopovers BKK and a 2nd stopover in KUL??
5 segments outbound
2 segments return

I thought the rule was 3 segments max outbound and 3 segments max return. Didn't know that mix/match was permitted (ie 4 out/2 return)

How about maximum permissable miles? KUL is pretty out of the way for a trip to PVG.
Old Mar 9, 11, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by blug View Post
The maximum number of segments on a DL award is 8, and mix-and-match is permitted.

When an itinerary exceeds the maximum permitted mileage, it will be considered as two awards, and correspondingly it will allow a maximum of 16 segments.
Are you sure that DeltaTragic can price more than 8 segments?
Old Mar 9, 11, 7:06 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/2.9MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by blug View Post
Yes, DL charges a hefty fuel surcharge on award ticket for long haul flights operated by some of its partner airlines, including CZ, MU, CI, VA, MH, etc. A TPAC round trip on these airlines may have >$400 in fuel surcharge.
My RT in Business to BKK on MU (China Eastern) was $320 in fees - the most I've ever paid but not bad for a TPAC at low level.

Search this Thread