Strategy for KE award flights using DL miles

Old Oct 16, 10, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
I don't think you can get KE F award on DL miles because DL doesn't offer F internationally. If you're a medallion, you can get upgraded on the domestic legs, so hope is not lost even though it is an award ticket.

Dave
Old Oct 16, 10, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by s1c3r1a1b3b3l1e1 View Post
Do you know what it is HNL-SYD through ICN? Again, if DL would just post their award redemption prices online like everyone else, I wouldn't be asking this question. And, I would know whether or not I need to call back when I get an agent on the phone who tells me that it is 480k miles in business class. Obviously, that is an exaggeration, but some of the prices quoted online are so crazy. And the website suggests that they are the low level.
HNL-SYD is 150K also, at least so on HA. The worst value out there. Far more in DL SM than in HawaiianMiles for the exact same flight, for example.

(Hawaii to Australia has never been in any award charts, BTW. So it seems that here as it is not in any chart, DL has just used the same mileage as it would be, say LGA-SYD (2x+ distance and cost!) for HNL-SYD -- really disingenous, IMHO.)
Old Oct 20, 10, 11:02 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jmertic View Post
Thanks to all the great information on this thread ( and very helpful Delta agent, which often seems to be the exception rather than the norm ), was able to score two low level business awards for 2 weeks from now.

CLE-DTW-LAX DL Coach
LAX-ICN KE Prestige ( Sleeper )
ICN-ORD KE Prestige ( Plus )
ORD-CVG-CLE DL Coach

Thanks everyone for your tips in helping me out!
Had to rebook this ticket for this Friday ( 10/22 ) coming back the following Thurs ( 10/28 ) , but still was able to score 2 low level business award tickets this close in. Being a PM definitely helps a lot for the domestic legs, not so much for the KE ones.

CLE-MSP-ORD DL Coach ( all RJs :-( )
ORD-ICN KE Prestige ( Plus )
ICN-ORD KE Prestige ( Plus )
ORD-CVG-CLE DL Coach ( all RJs :-( )
Old Oct 27, 10, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by bobbybrown View Post
A is award first class, but you cannot redeem it unless using KE miles.. pretty much.
D is award business class, both sleeper and non-sleeper.
U is award economy class.
I found availability on KE, but when I called Delta they claimed that none of the flights I gave them were available (JFK-ICN-TPE on Nov. 4, for example.)
Old Oct 27, 10, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver
Originally Posted by GrizShel View Post
I found availability on KE, but when I called Delta they claimed that none of the flights I gave them were available (JFK-ICN-TPE on Nov. 4, for example.)
Where do you see KE availability online? I haven't seen any website or software that shows it.
Old Oct 27, 10, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blug View Post
Where do you see KE availability online? I haven't seen any website or software that shows it.
PM me then I can search for you. I have 70k KE miles, so I can search both C and Y classes. But you should understand that DL sees different inventory than what KE sees
Old Oct 27, 10, 10:52 am
AHO

Originally Posted by blug View Post
If you have enough miles(for the award) on your KE Skypass account, you can check award seat availability.

KE First clas award(A) can be searched by ExpertFlyer though.
Old Oct 27, 10, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver
Yeah, searching through KE itself is pretty much useless... What KE shows to their own members is nowhere near what DL can see.
Old Oct 31, 10, 5:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM, MM
As a DM member, if I book a KE flight using Skymiles, are the miles refundable to my account if I need to change/cancel? Like they are for Delta flights?
Old Oct 31, 10, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by rclott View Post
As a DM member, if I book a KE flight using Skymiles, are the miles refundable to my account if I need to change/cancel? Like they are for Delta flights?
Yes, I did this about 20 times last month when trying to find my flights :-).
Old Oct 31, 10, 7:12 pm
ffI

Programs: AA 2MM, US CP, DL PM, UA 1k <=> HH DM, SPG/ClubC/Marr G, Hyatt/IHG Plat, FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy View Post
That 150k in BE number for US-SYD is among the hardest to achieve with Delta. Its very rare that I have seen these pop up.!
See the thread by wirachay and use VA. Costs 150 from any corner of mainland USA. Great value for me from the east coast. Scored 4 in C all the way.
Old Nov 16, 10, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by ffI View Post
See the thread by wirachay and use VA. Costs 150 from any corner of mainland USA. Great value for me from the east coast. Scored 4 in C all the way.
Hi, do you mind posting the link? Thanks!
Old Dec 23, 10, 1:38 pm

Well, it looks like KE hasn't released any award seat to it's partners for the month of January and February 2011 for DFW-ICN route at least.
I tried to use DL or even transfer MR or SPG points to other partner airlines since the flight is for a friend, but to no avail.
It would've been nice to have more options for direct TPAC flights out of DFW than KE alone.
Old Dec 23, 10, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by mainbill View Post
Well, it looks like KE hasn't released any award seat to it's partners for the month of January and February 2011 for DFW-ICN route at least.
I tried to use DL or even transfer MR or SPG points to other partner airlines since the flight is for a friend, but to no avail.
It would've been nice to have more options for direct TPAC flights out of DFW than KE alone.
I think this is one of the more difficult routes for award availability, especially since it's less than daily right now. Keep checking and be open to connecting thru other North American gateways as well.
Old Dec 23, 10, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mainbill View Post
Delta DFW-DTW-ICN operates on M, W, F, Sa, although awards may require medium or high mileage bands.

Search this Thread