Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Strategy for KE award flights using DL miles

Strategy for KE award flights using DL miles

Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
RealHJ, does it help to instruct DL agents to do manual sell?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Agents shouldn't need to long sell to get KE flights. Some agents will tell you that they do long sell only for those partners whose inventories are not directly visible, which do not include KE.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by Pathfinder813
Wow. Yeah, I can fly out of JFK but right now I'm booked late in September to go through LAX to get on the A380 (and of course there was no low miles seat in BE for the JFK-LAX flight so we're in coach). What's frustrating is to see that Korean shows availability on a number of days but not knowing if these were released to Delta. The last agent I spoke with said she saw only 1 seat available out of probably 30 days that we checked for even non-A380 flights; KE's calendar showed a lot of availability.

Anyway... I guess I'll just have to keep calling... thanks for the info though.
KE's inventories for own members and partners are completely different. Don't even bother to look at the KE calendar.

I once checked KE's availability on SFO-ICN with an agent, and was told that KE has 6+ business award seats for KE members on most of the dates I checked. When I called DL, they could see at most one seat on each flight.

Originally Posted by RealHJ
(I wonder if by design...just like so many other things that have been always 'broken' and never get 'fixed').
A good example is the union of KE blackout dates of all regions used by DL. This is just pure, pure evil.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
For KE long-sell is not required. I am not sure would it help, honestly..
it's just that if even for a flicker they "see" the seat, it surely can be booked, they just need to be persistent and keep at it until they get it...persistence always gets the KE seat in the end.

(I know, not very useful advice though, sorry.)
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by RealHJ
For KE long-sell is not required. I am not sure would it help, honestly..
it's just that if even for a flicker they "see" the seat, it surely can be booked, they just need to be persistent and keep at it until they get it...persistence always gets the KE seat in the end.

(I know, not very useful advice though, sorry.)
Do you think it's possible to switch to an earlier date less than one month out from departure onto another Korean flight or do you think attempts to do this will be futile? I'm less than a month out from leaving for Korea but I'd like to leave a lot sooner... perhaps in the next two to three weeks.

I've called everyday but so far, nothing.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Pathfinder813
Do you think it's possible to switch to an earlier date less than one month out from departure onto another Korean flight or do you think attempts to do this will be futile? I'm less than a month out from leaving for Korea but I'd like to leave a lot sooner... perhaps in the next two to three weeks.

I've called everyday but so far, nothing.
It all depends on availability for your route in question.
Try alternate routes, e.g. going KE to a different airport and then DL or another airline to the final destination, or try CI via TPE (if not during blackout dates), MU via PVG or CZ via CAN, PEK or PVG - the latter can have pretty good availability.

If there's nothing available for the route in question, then there's nothing. Time to get creative and look at different routings and airlines, like CI, MU or CZ all of which have a lot of flights into Korea, and CI and CZ you can easily check online on at airfrance.us by logging into FB and searching for award flights.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 3:32 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Now that KE is on DL.com, TPAC J is looking better. But, I'm finding that DL.com still wants to put me on:

1. DL metal & AS metal, resulting in long travel times
2. I cannot access any day for KE's A388 LAX- ICN, anyone else with luck?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Now that KE is on DL.com, TPAC J is looking better. But, I'm finding that DL.com still wants to put me on:

1. DL metal & AS metal, resulting in long travel times
2. I cannot access any day for KE's A388 LAX- ICN, anyone else with luck?
No luck on the KE A380 here either. I'm trying to book DTW-JFK-ICN-ROR but I can't find any availability for JFK-ICN. I can find DTW-NRT-ROR all on DL which in reality I'd be perfectly happy with, but I'm greedy and want to fly the A380
Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by vxmike
No luck on the KE A380 here either. I'm trying to book DTW-JFK-ICN-ROR but I can't find any availability for JFK-ICN. I can find DTW-NRT-ROR all on DL which in reality I'd be perfectly happy with, but I'm greedy and want to fly the A380
No luck either. I've tried every possible date next September and can't find anything showing up for the two daily nonstop JFK-ICN or ICN-JFK flights (either the 380 or 777). If you look at the calendar and click 'nonstop flights only' then it does indeed look as though space is available, but it won't show up if you click through. A few possibilities... This space is being blocked from showing up on the DL website, or it's completely blocked for use by Skymiles members, or the calendar is simply broken (duh). Has anyone been able to book the 380 over the phone recently?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by GH83
No luck either. I've tried every possible date next September and can't find anything showing up for the two daily nonstop JFK-ICN or ICN-JFK flights (either the 380 or 777). If you look at the calendar and click 'nonstop flights only' then it does indeed look as though space is available, but it won't show up if you click through. A few possibilities... This space is being blocked from showing up on the DL website, or it's completely blocked for use by Skymiles members, or the calendar is simply broken (duh). Has anyone been able to book the 380 over the phone recently?
Pretty sure something broke when they integrated the online portion of KE awards. We saw something similar happen during the VA integration. I'm thinking it might have even screwed something up on how agents get seats. KE will fly the A380 (ATL-ICN) daily during Jan 2013 and to only find 1-2 seats is beyond what is normally available IMO. I think things should settle down in the next few weeks. Also notice that the online site shows KE.O and KE.X where as VA is correctly showing the Business/Economy like it would if it was fully integrated. Just be patient (if you aren't under any time constraint). I'm sure many people are all searching daily and someone will post here if they find that it's fixed as lots of seats will pop...
Old Nov 2, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by llamagatekeeper
Pretty sure something broke when they integrated the online portion of KE awards. We saw something similar happen during the VA integration. I'm thinking it might have even screwed something up on how agents get seats. KE will fly the A380 (ATL-ICN) daily during Jan 2013 and to only find 1-2 seats is beyond what is normally available IMO. I think things should settle down in the next few weeks. Also notice that the online site shows KE.O and KE.X where as VA is correctly showing the Business/Economy like it would if it was fully integrated. Just be patient (if you aren't under any time constraint). I'm sure many people are all searching daily and someone will post here if they find that it's fixed as lots of seats will pop...
I hope so. I have no fixed dates whatsoever and would be happy to book at 330 days out...just want to get it booked for next year. Hoping to get rid of 240K DL miles just in case they lose value.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by vxmike
I hope so. I have no fixed dates whatsoever and would be happy to book at 330 days out...just want to get it booked for next year. Hoping to get rid of 240K DL miles just in case they lose value.
No real fixed dates here either. Mainly planning a trip to Japan, but wanted to tack on a few days in Korea either on the beginning or end of the trip in order to fly the 380.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:55 pm

FYI, don't always count on the DL engine as I state here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-thread-3.html

KE award esp in J only sometimes shows up on DL dumb. Case in point, 388 LAX-ICN would occasionally show up a specific date, but them I would search 5 min later and nothing. Call to DL reveals O actually exists.

KVS is probably the best IMO, as I can't seem to get O searches to work with EF.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by llamagatekeeper
A380 service to ATL has been scrapped for the time being.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
A380 service to ATL has been scrapped for the time being.
When was this announced and do you have a link? I was looking forward to this service...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.