Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Priority Checked Bag Tags Seem to Actually Work

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt D

It has been a while since I have checked luggage for a domestic flight. I did so recently on SMF-ATL-SMF. Flew in F on an M/G ticket.

Noticed something I hadn’t remembered occurring on past Delta flights from a couple of years ago. The check in agent priority tagged my luggage (this I had seen before), and then my bags were with in the first 4 or 5 out on the baggage carousel. This occurred on both sides of my trip. This was a nice surprise.

Anyone else noticed the same?
Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
It's about 50-50 for me.

About half the time, my bags are among the first on the belt. The other half, they're among the last. Interestingly, they never seem to come out around the middle. I don't even bother to point out when they forget.....
Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
It has been pretty good to me lately.

Except this past Monday when my bag was 3rd out (737-700) and the first two were military duffles without Priority tags. Clearly that is unacceptable and I have contacted Delta and demanded miles as compensation.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
It has been pretty good to me lately.

Except this past Monday when my bag was 3rd out (737-700) and the first two were military duffles without Priority tags. Clearly that is unacceptable and I have contacted Delta and demanded miles as compensation.
Good joke Andy, however, I don't think two would be enough for the military, I thought it's 4+.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:31 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Mine worked yesterday. During check-in, the agent told me that they were supposed to work now. She was right, mine was the 2nd one to come out, at LAX.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:42 am

Programs: DL PM / MM, Nat'l EE
#1 bag out last Saturday at bos.... would have been a great picture... my jaw was on the floor in amazement...
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:45 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Not on my last AMS-MSP flight (2/15 DL 259), all the priority tagged ones came out near the last....plus the baggage handlers at claims area in customs, didn't do a thing to help alliviate the bags from piling up...he just stood there are bags piled up and fell off the circuit....

Totally unimpressed especially for an international flight from hub to a hub

Last edited by NOLAnwGOLD; Feb 20, 2010 at 2:34 pm
Old Feb 20, 2010, 6:43 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I was stuck carrying two bags with me, in addition to my laptop bag, PHL-DAB yesterday so, with heavy heart, I checked my bags when I checked in. When I arrived at DAB, I stopped by the rental car counter, picked up my car, and shot the breeze with the agent for a while (I'm a familiar face). I hear the baggage belt rumbling behind me, and continue to chat, realizing I won't have to rush over since, per Delta's normal baggage handling process, my bags will the the last off the flight. I finally turn and head on over.

I was shocked to see that my bags were actually the 4th and 5th ones off the flight!
Old Feb 20, 2010, 7:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I've had reasonably good luck lately with my bag being early in the bag queue - good job. Now the only issue is how long it takes for bags to start flowing. At some stations it's amazing (at RDU, good grief - bags were coming out of the carousel right as I got down there, which is very impressive)... at others it's miserable (Seattle, I'm looking at you - 25 minutes for bags to start flowing seems to be the absolute minimum wait time).

I'd like to see an increased focus on getting bags flowing quicker at international gateways for priority tagged luggage, too. With Global Entry I can bust through passport control Kool-Aid Man style (ohhh yeah!) very quickly but that doesn't do me any good if I then end up slumped against a pillar for a half hour waiting for baggage. (hi Detroit!)
Old Feb 20, 2010, 7:32 am

Programs: DL DM,MM; AS; USeless Air, HHonors Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Gold
I've been pleasantly surprised to see my priority-tagged bags among the first few out -- even at my home airport -- MCO was always the worst (after LAS) but it's been much better in the past few weeks. Kudos to DL for a nice improvement.^
Old Feb 20, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, Priority Club Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by cbalaska
I've been pleasantly surprised to see my priority-tagged bags among the first few out -- even at my home airport -- MCO was always the worst (after LAS) but it's been much better in the past few weeks. Kudos to DL for a nice improvement.^
In my experience these tags mean nothing and it's as always luck of the draw! But the perception of distinction makes DL best in class!
Old Feb 20, 2010, 9:20 am
Used to be FlyingMedallionDL

Programs: DL PM, Delta Reserve and 1.2 MM
Priority Bags WORKING! How about Silver Medallions?

Originally Posted by B7e7US
Mine worked yesterday. During check-in, the agent told me that they were supposed to work now. She was right, mine was the 2nd one to come out, at LAX.
I was pleasantly surprised as well when I arrived on the 777 ATL-LAX service last Wednesday! My bag tags printed out 2 vertical "PRIORITY" boxes next to the three-letter code destination. The Priority bag tag service definitely works well now even for domestic flights. I hope my continued emails since last year worked out. Having this priority bag perk definitely makes me want to fly more.

Unfortunately, I will be dropping down the levels to Silver Medallion next month. I noticed that one of the above posters, (B7e7US) was a Silver Medallion and still got the priority tag. Did the Silver Medallion passenger have their bag tags print "PRIORITY" even on economy class? Or do I have to be upgraded at the 1-day window for the computer to trigger the printing of "PRIORITY" (as in the case of the long-forgotten Northwest days). Any help is appreciated. Thanks, everyone.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
FLL the other night had 2 Priority bags come out amongst the first 50 bags...
Old Feb 20, 2010, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingMedallionDL
Unfortunately, I will be dropping down the levels to Silver Medallion next month. I noticed that one of the above posters was a Silver Medallion and still got the priority tag. Did the Silver Medallion passenger have their bag tags print "PRIORITY" even on economy class? Or do I have to be upgraded at the 1-day window for the computer to trigger the printing of "PRIORITY" (as in the case of the long-forgotten Northwest days). Any help is appreciated. Thanks, everyone.
It only prints out when the FO has been confirmed in F/J (V/X).

Last edited by zsmith2; Feb 20, 2010 at 9:30 am
Old Feb 20, 2010, 9:24 am
Used to be FlyingMedallionDL

Programs: DL PM, Delta Reserve and 1.2 MM
Hi there,
I will now be going down the levels from Platinum to Silver Medallion next month. I noticed you are a Silver Medallion passenger and stil got priority tags. Did your bag tags also print "PRIORITY" in vertical text next to your final destination even when flying coach? I heard that only Gold and Platinum/Diamonds will have priority printed on the bag tags in any cabin they sit in, but I was curious if they extended that to Silvers. I am assuming we will need to clear the 1-day window in order to have the bag tags print "PRIORITY." What happened in your situation? Thanks a mil. Hope to hear from you soon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.