Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Priority Checked Bag Tags Seem to Actually Work

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priority Checked Bag Tags Seem to Actually Work

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:18 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
another priority success!

i used my FT-earned miles to fly first dtw-atl-rsw today, and my bag was among the first 10 out (and the ones before me were all priority)
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL:Diamond, United:1P, Continental: Plat, HH:Gold, SPG:Gold
fyi-why its likely last- figured it out

FYI i figured out why your bag may come out dead last when tagged with priority- and it's an easy fix for the airline ground staff....

if the procedure is followed at the departing airport and your bags are put on the plane last, so that the can be removed first, and the arrivals team follows this and removes your bag first---they are likely to put it on the baggage cart first, in the very back. thus ensuring when the cart is delivered to the place for unloading on the baggage claim your bag will be dead last in making it onto the cart.

what needs to be done is that your bag needs to be set down on the ground by the arrivals team and loaded onto the baggage cart very last so that it can be the first one off. easy fix, but if my email from delta is any indication (see me post on my email with delta dated today) delta is not at all certain they can implement this fix. do they not have control over the ground crews?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 11:31 pm

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
...so the key is to always have an odd number of flight segments?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:22 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
EZE-ATL this morning, priority bags came off first. Over the last 12 months, this has happened maybe 6 out of 10 times on this route. Never had it happen domestically.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 6:25 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
I just checked luggage for the first time this year. I bought too many souvenirs on a recent trip, including a large hemp bag full of coffee (and other goodies), so I checked my roll-a-board to stay within luggage allowance.

DL 356 -> DL 5879

My bag tag printed priority and a priority bag tag was attached to it.

DL 356 - My bag was already on the carousel at US Customs, along with other priority bags, as general bags continued to come down ^

Wait times for US Citizens were much longer than I am used to - Only 3 CBP Officers working US citizen Immigration Booths 1-30 at 7pm.

We arrived into the side with booth's 1-30 for US citizens and it would not surprise me if there were missed connections unless CBP did something to quickly clear out the line. As a Biz class pax I made it as close to the front of the line as possible, but several flights came in at once.

The US Citizen CBP line snaked well outside of the queue as I looked back. All pax on DL 356 were making connections that evening per FA. I would not have made the connection to DL 1128 at 8:16pm to SDF if I had chosen the earlier connection.

DL 5879, into SDF: Last flight of night, ATL-SDF. My bag was one of the last unloaded off the E-175 (Delta Connection operated by Compass Air Lines).

Both flights were great - had excellent FA's on DL 5879; I had a hemp woven bag full of coffee and other goodies. You could smell the odor of the coffee beans when I would put the bag in the overhead bin or if it needed to be shifted. The FA's all complimented how good the bag smelled and were joking I should just leave it on-board for them

FA's on DL 356 were excellent and professional as well. Have a compliment letter going into DL. ^ ^

Steve

Last edited by SDF_Traveler; Mar 2, 2010 at 6:48 am
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:59 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
0/2 on my return into DTW. 1 bag came out in the second to last batch, the other was so priority that it came in on an earlier flight, which I of course didn't find out til the belt stopped spinning and I waited to speak to the lady in baggage services
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:43 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
DL58 today priority bags all seemed to come out first ^

CBP and the wait for the bags were their usual awe uninspiring experiences.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Mariott Plat, HH Diam
Today I was flying from ABQ to BOS via ATL. In my seven years of flying out of Logan the minimum about of time I spend waiting for bags is a half hour so imagine my surprise when I arrive at the belt and my bag is the second one out. less than five minutes from leaving the plane to getting my bag. I think this is a marked improvement for DL and they deserve credit for working on the improvement. ^
Old Mar 6, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
Total failure in YUL today. Bags took forever to come to baggage claim, and then when they did they offloaded the DTW and MSP flight at the same time, with neither flight's priority bags getting any priority.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Working well in ATL, international arrivals. DL21, only yellow tagged bags were first off the conveyor belt, our three were in the first ten. ^^^

Not working at all in IND. DL5890, no yellow tags among the first on the belt, and our 3 came out randomly.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:20 pm
Used to be FlyingMedallionDL

Programs: DL PM, Delta Reserve and 1.2 MM
Will the bag tags automatically print PRIORITY for Gold Medallions in any cabin ? Thanks! Any help is appreciated. How about for Silvers?
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:26 pm

Tonight at MCO, (came in from JFK), the first bags were ALL priority tags. Normally what would take 30+ minutes only took around 10. Mine was the 15th bag off!
Old Mar 13, 2010, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt D
DL4790 SLC-JAC 02/27/10 – Bags came out in random order. Some priority tagged out in the beginning, some out last. Our priority tags put our bags out half way through.
DL4769 SLC-SMF 03/01/10 – Our priority tagged bags came out in the first 20. Half of those first 20 were priority tagged.

This may have been because we were flying Skywest…?
Old Mar 13, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by number21
This may have been because we were flying Skywest…?
It's much harder to have priority bags seperated on RJ flights since they only have one bin in which checked baggage is put in.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingMedallionDL
Will the bag tags automatically print PRIORITY for Gold Medallions in any cabin ?
Yes

How about for Silvers?
Only if they are in FC/BE (including comp upgrades).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.