Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Price of the same search increases if I log in.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Price of the same search increases if I log in.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2010, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
So much is messed up with DL.com, that many begin to wonder if it's intentional.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 3:41 pm
KLC
In Memoriam

I'm confused.

I logged in, tried the search for the exact flights using multi-city, but using the "Fare Class" for "T or higher", and got the $762.00 price.

Thought I was onto something, but when I went back (still logged in) and used the default "Cabin" search, I still got the same $762.00 price, not the higher one.

Maybe all of our searches shook something loose??
Old Feb 18, 2010, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
This was reported by me over a month ago

Thread was something to the effect of "Now the award engine has infected the revenue engine".

I just tried the same thing and got the same result. I don't think this is new but rather intermittent which is worse.

This is getting very old but DL...You need to fix the IT issues quick. It is getting unbearable and I just don;t even know if I am getting a fair price.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by blug
I just used a colleague's computer which has never been used to visit Delta.com, and tried the search with and without logging in. I got the same result: if logged in, $1047, otherwise, $762.

I also logged in with another skymiles# which has no status. This time I get $762. Seems DL.com is indeed "context-sensitive"
Now, this really is :-: best in class :-:! If only all this IT ingenuity could be applied to delivering award searches that actually work, customers would be a lot happier.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Why would he .... us? This is one of the things that I worry about. I think many people will think these reports are either overblown or "lies" and meanwhile we (the collective we) are letting things go int the toilet. BTW, I was having the same issue with rewards...actually getting better prices (miles) NOT logged in. Then, when I logged in it would either tell me the flight has just sold out or give me the higher mileage.

Last edited by Canarsie; May 17, 2012 at 8:02 am Reason: Removed now-deleted quoted content.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Why would he .... us? This is one of the things that I worry about. I think many people will think these reports are either overblown or "lies" and meanwhile we (the collective we) are letting things go int the toilet. BTW, I was having the same issue with rewards...actually getting better prices (miles) NOT logged in. Then, when I logged in it would either tell me the flight has just sold out or give me the higher mileage.
Because I have been stuck in a hotel in a far away place and have had some time on my hands...I have fact checked, so to speak, a number of claims... a lot of them have been not entirely accurate... if accurate at all...

This one is legit and disconcerting to say the least...

Last edited by Canarsie; May 17, 2012 at 8:02 am Reason: Removed now-deleted quoted content.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 4:18 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Very bad. I'm lucky in that I have a GDS I can use to 'vet' my .dumb fares and book accordingly.

But this is very poor - how many people would perhaps just log in, then pay the lowest rate presented, not thinking for a moment that there is a lower fare if they log out (and why should there be?).

I believe it does violate the policy requiring airlines to always offer the lowest applicable fare for the routing/dates requested.

This would be an example of something worthy of a DOT complaint. I don't advocate DOT complaints lightly, but I can tell you from experience that a DOT complaint WILL get noticed by DL senior management and therefore a far higher chance of IT fixing this problem in a priority manner.

Last edited by SamuelS; Feb 18, 2010 at 4:32 pm
Old Feb 18, 2010, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
So when you book an itinerary on delta.com as an elite, you have the option of checking a "request upgrade" option. Does the price discrepancy show up if you uncheck that box? I wonder if it's got some sort of broken logic that's trying to be helpful based on upgrade eligibility that's ending up hurting you instead...
Old Feb 18, 2010, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BenA
So when you book an itinerary on delta.com as an elite, you have the option of checking a "request upgrade" option. Does the price discrepancy show up if you uncheck that box? I wonder if it's got some sort of broken logic that's trying to be helpful based on upgrade eligibility that's ending up hurting you instead...
Thinking like a true programmer .
Old Feb 18, 2010, 4:39 pm
KLC
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by BenA
As mentioned by avidflyer, it may be an intermittent problem. I can't get the higher fare to display when I'm logged in, no matter what I check or uncheck so far.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 4:47 pm
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Programs: SkyMiles
I did a multi-city search on DL.com: PHX-ZRH 3/13, ZRH-MSP 3/22, MSP-PHX 3/22. Did so because I want to force a ZRH-AMS-MSP-PHX routing inbound.

If I search without logging in, I got $762. If I logged in (I'm PM), the same search returns $1000+. Not sure if this has been extensively discussed but I didn't expect it at all
Hmmmmm...I'm not a dot com person (although I used to be one in a pre-airline career), but this sounds odd to me. Thanks for pointing this out. I'm sending this thread over to DeltaWebDev to take a look at this and see if there is any insight that he can provide.

Thank you!

SkyMilesInsider
Old Feb 18, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
Just booked a BWI trip for June and dl.com would not list any afternoon flights on the return. No matter what I entered, only the early morning flights would show up. So I bought it through Orbitz.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL PM
delta.com is mostly useless lately from what I've seen. Some of my personal highlights in the last week are:

- an itinerary option allowing 90 minutes for a change of airport from LGA to MCI; I would love to hear from any FTer that has pulled that one off.

- After selecting my prefered outbound on a MSP-PHL R/T, being given exactly one choice for a returning flight, as opposed to the 74 (on DL) routing options offered by orbitz.

In the latter example, since I was forced to look on orbitz for a viable option, I couldn't help but see the FL itinerary for $218 less. I really like the product that DL has to offer and I enjoy the benefits that PM affords me, but....
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Somehow, it appears SM members do not get to see T fares for this one? Not sure...
Dear Customer, as you know DL seeks to achieve 12% margins by 2012. This strategy is part of our plan to achieve this goal. As you may be aware, it is based on our philosophy of the Calculus of Inelasticity (tm). Elite customers value our service and are willing to pay more for it than price-sensitive customers. Our market segmentation is sophisticated, as you can see. Simply put, customers will accept this measure, as many others, in pursuit ofthe higher margins that benefit all of us.

RTS
Sky Miles Czar In Truth

Last edited by Canarsie; May 17, 2012 at 8:03 am Reason: Removed now-deleted quoted content.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:42 pm
Suspended

I did a multi-city search on DL.com: PHX-ZRH 3/13, ZRH-MSP 3/22, MSP-PHX 3/22. Did so because I want to force a ZRH-AMS-MSP-PHX routing inbound.

If I search without logging in, I got $762. If I logged in (I'm PM), the same search returns $1000+. Not sure if this has been extensively discussed but I didn't expect it at all
That's because when you log in, you are enhanced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.