Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Saturday Night Stayover?!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
There's an idea: Split the ticket so that you're on DL from a gateway city - ATL, DTW, JFK - and book a separate RT from SAT to the gateway city via AirTran or AA or whomever might reduce the total cost. This might reveal some cheaper options.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
There's an idea: Split the ticket so that you're on DL from a gateway city - ATL, DTW, JFK - and book a separate RT from SAT to the gateway city via AirTran or AA or whomever might reduce the total cost. This might reveal some cheaper options.
Generally the down side of that is in the case of IRROPs the connecting carrier has not obligation for mis-connections on separate PNRs.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by motytrah
You have to understand that Saturday night stay rules are meant to separate Business travelers from Leisure travelers. There's a reason why 40% of the customers (business customers) make up 60% of the airline revenue. That is particularly the case for international travel. They figure, correctly so, that when it's someone else's money that people will pay it.
It's called price discrimination. You could think of it as an extremely basic form of yield management, before the more sophisticated dynamic strategies were developed. If the airline tried to charge the average price, leisure travelers wouldn't buy and business travelers would, but the airline would be selling them tickets for less than they'd be willing to pay. The giveaway to business travelers would be even greater if cheaper tickets were offered without the weekend stayover requirement, while no leisure travelers would purchase at the higher of the two original prices. Of course this is overly simplified in that one wouldn't expect to obtain a perfect separation of business versus leisure travelers and additional fare requirements such as time of purchase and refundability also tend to help to achieve price discrimination.

Many employers are happy to pay for additional hotel nights and meals if the additonal costs are less than the difference in ticket price. Take advantage of the chance to enjoy an extra day in Europe. Or arrive a day early and take time to recover from jetlag before your business activities.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by motytrah
Generally the down side of that is in the case of IRROPs the connecting carrier has not obligation for mis-connections on separate PNRs.
Book it as a single itinerary through a 3rd party site (e.g. Expedia, Travelocity).
Old Feb 19, 2010, 1:26 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by YesLetsDiscuss
Yes, Madrid would be a wonderful place to spend the weekend. I have done it in the past, and enjoyed it immensely. But...my company doesn't allow extra days on their dime, so even with a much reduced air ticket, I will be on my own for two days, which I am not willing to do during this trip. With the Mrs. back at home, I would like to be home for the weekend.

While I can study the complex arcane rules and try to figure out if any of the classes allow non-Sat trip, and determine if they will open up, I have many other more important things to do. I for one would like to see things simplified.

No one is expecting DL to match fares on an individual basis. And I understand separating business and leisure travel, but if DL is not competitive in the business market going to Spain with twice the price as US and 1.5 times the AA price, they are eventually going to lose out.

So, even though I'd much prefer to fly DL, I won't be able to. I will just have to select the US ticket.
Is this mar 13/14? I'm overnighting in MAD that Sat. To reduce my UA/CO fare...to 400 a.i. Terminating at CUN. You know the drill. But hey, if you end up there, let's drink to the downfall of DL's fare regime!
Old Feb 19, 2010, 1:45 am

Programs: DL - Diamond Medallion - 2 Million Miler; Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson GOLD. ParknGo loves me
Need to fly to Madrid Mon-Fri middle week of March. My company requires booking the lowest reasonable airfare regardless of the airline (with some small leeway at times). Most times I can get DL to be the reasonable cheapest fare by moving meetings etc around.

However, for this trip to MAD, the lowest DL fare is about $2600+ (B/H classes) while US is about $1400+ and AA is $1700+. This is unreasonable. When I include a Sat night stay in MAD, DL is the cheapest at sub $1000!

Why does DL require a Saturday Night Stayover for LUT? Is is this way for most INTL destinations? Its ridiculous to lose customers this way. There are tons of seats open.

Are they likely to open up LUT for TATL non-Sat stayovers closer to fly time?

Delta is ridiculous with this. For BE fights MSP->AMS it's $7000 vs. $3000
Old Feb 19, 2010, 2:14 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
No one is expecting DL to match fares on an individual basis. And I understand separating business and leisure travel, but if DL is not competitive in the business market going to Spain with twice the price as US and 1.5 times the AA price, they are eventually going to lose out.

So, even though I'd much prefer to fly DL, I won't be able to. I will just have to select the US ticket.
Why are you so frustrated for not flying DL? The airline business is a "you snooze you lose" type of game. I understand the justification for the Sat night stay, but the airlines invented all these rules and forced us to play by them - it is our responsibility to use them to our best advantage, just like they do. The FF program may be a consideration (and was for me in the WP days), but nowadays it makes no sense to pay more for SkyTeam carriers.

The company I work for has been giving LX a lot of business lately because of their flexible fares (no Sat night or minimum stay required, changes permitted for the cheapest fares, and so on). My client company also switched from DL to LX for TATL J trips because of the price.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by redtailshark
Is this mar 13/14? I'm overnighting in MAD that Sat. To reduce my UA/CO fare...to 400 a.i. Terminating at CUN. You know the drill. But hey, if you end up there, let's drink to the downfall of DL's fare regime!
On your way from Tuscon to Cancun?

It only makes sense in our world!
Old Feb 19, 2010, 4:19 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by MikeMpls

Mike, you're right the FT events are great. Because none of this has to be explained any further than; 2 revenue itins, FD, nested...with an award closer from CUN.

The itin is PHX-IAH-DEN-LAX-EWR-MAD/FCO-EWR-IAH-BOS/BOS-EWR-TXL/MAD-EWR-SFO-DEN-CUN/CUN-MEX-PHX. The actual business is in MAD/FCO/TXL. Vac in BOS. All *A except the AM segs at the end. The AM legs are part of an award positioning flight booked before NWA.COM vanished.

This after I get back from GUM, SIN and KUL. I'm in the SQ lounge at KUL right now, trying to restore my I class leg to MNL tomorrow through SMS Yeah!

It's been a busy start to the year, so I'll be taking it easier after the summer.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 8:45 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
But that's just not fair!
LOL!

As if airfares were about "fair"
Old Feb 19, 2010, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by CarolDisney1
LOL!

As if airfares were about "fair"
Fare and fair, close enough.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:30 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by brad9696
Delta is ridiculous with this. For BE fights MSP->AMS it's $7000 vs. $3000
That sure sounds like the difference between the C and I bucket.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
To all those suggesting getting separate tickets, one to a east coast / hub and one to MAD from there, it was one of the first things I tried.

The problem is that TATL legs seem to have restrictions. The domestic legs have no Saturday night requirement, in fact haven't seen them in long time now, at least from SAT. So that doesn't impact the price at all.

Side note: if I put in NYC(any)-MAD, DL prices to 2480, while US is around 620 - a four fold difference!
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
That would be great! If I decide to make it there the weekend before my meeting, I will be getting in on the 14th. So I will definitely ping you to see what you are up to.

The itin is PHX-IAH-DEN-LAX-EWR-MAD/FCO-EWR-IAH-BOS/BOS-EWR-TXL/MAD-EWR-SFO-DEN-CUN/CUN-MEX-PHX. The actual business is in MAD/FCO/TXL. Vac in BOS.
That's some routing skills! ^ You can definitely give me some tips over the drink.

Originally Posted by MikeMpls

Yeah, try explaining that to non-FTers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.