Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Same Day change with different connection

Old Feb 16, 10, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Plat

So I want to change

ORD->ATL->ONT flights to the much shorter ORD->SLC->ONT flights.

According to

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...nges/index.jsp

Limitations
This option is limited to specific flight routing and connection changes.

You can change from a connection flight to a nonstop/direct flight.
You will be booked in the same class of service you were originally ticketed.
A $75 fee applies to restricted Delta Shuttle fares when changing to a peak flight time.
If you are a Medallion member currently confirmed for an upgrade in V class, you will be rebooked in Coach class and need to request a an upgrade for your new flight.

The following are not permissible:

No changes between origin, destination, or co-terminals (such as New York’s LaGuardia and JFK airports).
No changes to routing for fares that are flight specific or require specific routing.

The routing section of the fare rules says

ROUTING 358 FROM-TO CHI-SLC/MSP/DTT/CVG/MEM/ATL/LAX/IND/
DEN/SFO/LAS/PHX-ONT*
FROM-TO CHI-ATL-CVG/MEM/SLC/LAX-ONT*
FROM-TO CHI-MEM-SLC/ATL/CVG/MSP/LAX-ONT*
FROM-TO CHI-DTT-ATL/CVG/MEM/MSP/SLC/LAX/DEN-
ONT*
FROM-TO CHI-CVG-ATL/DTT/MEM/MSP/SLC/LAX/IND-
ONT*
FROM-TO CHI-CVG-ATL/DTT/MEM/MSP/SLC/LAX/IND-
ONT*
FROM-TO CHI-MSP-MEM/SLC/DTT/CVG/LAX/DEN/SFO/
LAS/PHX-ONT*
FROM-TO CHI-SLC-LAX/SFO/LAS/PHX-ONT*
FROM-TO CHI-LAX/IND/DEN-SLC-ONT*

That means this fare applies to through ATL or through SLC and I should be able to make this same day change with no problem, right?

Last edited by hw711; Feb 16, 10 at 1:25 am
Old Feb 16, 10, 1:23 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Absolutely. Very few fare restrictions exist on actual routing (e.g. via ATL only or via SLC only etc.). Your fare routing permits a SLC transfer so you'll have no problem SDC'ing provided there are Y class seats available on the flights you want to get on.

Call three hours before the departure of your new outbound flight and you will be SDC'd onto your flight and the new connection at the same time.

-RM

Last edited by RobOnLI; Feb 16, 10 at 10:20 am
Old Feb 16, 10, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
Call three hours before the departure of your initial outbound flight and you will be SDC'd onto your new flight and the new connection at the same time.
Wait, I thought you call within 3 hours of the departure time of the flight you want to change to, not of the flight you bought.

Last edited by hw711; Feb 16, 10 at 1:53 am
Old Feb 16, 10, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hw711 View Post
Wait, I thought you call within 3 hours of the departure time of the flight you want to change to, not of the flight you bought.
That is correct.
Old Feb 16, 10, 8:01 am

Programs: DL FO 1.4MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
So I want to change

ORD->ATL->ONT flights to the much shorter ORD->SLC->ONT flights.
You are violating the spirit of FT by trying to change to shorter flights.

Instead you should be going for CHI-CVG-ATL/DTT/MEM/MSP/SLC/LAX/IND-
ONT. CHI-CVG-ATL-ONT would be a pretty good MR!

David
Old Feb 16, 10, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DiverDave View Post

David
LOL. I didn't want to take the time off work because I'm already taking 6 other days off in March for personal traveling as it is. Besides, I'm utilizing my free SDC benefit. What's the point of earning status if you don't take advantage of the benefits.
Old Feb 16, 10, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Yes, that's correct. Typo on my part. Sorry.

-RM
Old Feb 16, 10, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Cool, thanks.
Old Feb 16, 10, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL FO 1.4MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
What's the point of earning status if you don't take advantage of the benefits.
OK, you just redeemed yourself!

David
Old Feb 16, 10, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

OK, you just redeemed yourself!

David
Oh, and I forgot to mention

ORD->ATL->ONT->ATL->ORD cost me $281 whereas ORD->SLC->ONT->SLC->ORD for the same dates priced out at $663.
Old Feb 16, 10, 3:07 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
LOL. I didn't want to take the time off work because I'm already taking 6 other days off in March for personal traveling as it is. Besides, I'm utilizing my free SDC benefit. What's the point of earning status if you don't take advantage of the benefits.
but you are using the SDC benefits to earn more miles + elite bonus + more status miles to re-qualify.

i find SDC amazing. just started to use it this year.
Old Feb 16, 10, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL PM
That means this fare applies to through ATL or through SLC and I should be able to make this same day change with no problem, right?
I did this two weeks ago. Paid for SAT-SAN RT through ATL instead of through SLC.

The return SAN-ATL was a redeye and my number on the upgrade waitlist didn't look too promising. I wanted to SDC to the shorter route through SLC. It wasn't easy - as for some reason, the SM agent wasn't able to see the SAN-SLC flights. Had to convince him that two choices existed and it took 20-25 minutes on the phone, but got it done.

I had considered SDC for the outbound SAT-SAN as well, but had decided against it. However, weather issues first forced a delay and then cancellation of SAT-ATL. Rebooked the next day through SLC.

They credited me with miles for the way I flew (SAT-SLC-SAN) rather than what I paid for (SAT-ATL-SAN) and have called them twice to get the miles as I would have got through ATL (difference of about 1000 MQM and 2000 RDM each way) and was promised the change both times. However, 10 days later, it still hasn't come through. Will call them again later today.

Do you guys think I will / should get the extra miles? Especially, since the outbound change wasn't an SDC, but weather related.
Old Feb 16, 10, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbd456 View Post
but you are using the SDC benefits to earn more miles + elite bonus + more status miles to re-qualify.

i find SDC amazing. just started to use it this year.
Not getting fired from work is worth WAY more than a couple thousand more miles to me. Keeping my job allows me to keep my status easily. No job = no money for travel = no point in keeping and having status.

NW FlyNow was so much better than SDC, in my opinion. You can confirm your new flight once OLCI became available (so as early as 24 prior) so none of this 3 hour window thing, though sometimes some of the flight options wouldn't become available till within the 6 hour window. And sometimes the system would even let you get on the flights the day before and after, even though it supposed to be just for same day change. I've saved thousands of dallars buying cheapest flights of the day and use FlyNow to get on the flight I want.
Old Feb 16, 10, 4:04 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Not getting fired from work is worth WAY more than a couple thousand more miles to me. Keeping my job allows me to keep my status easily. No job = no money for travel = no point in keeping and having status.

NW FlyNow was so much better than SDC, in my opinion. You can confirm your new flight once OLCI became available (so as early as 24 prior) so none of this 3 hour window thing, though sometimes some of the flight options wouldn't become available till within the 6 hour window. And sometimes the system would even let you get on the flights the day before and after, even though it supposed to be just for same day change. I've saved thousands of dallars buying cheapest flights of the day and use FlyNow to get on the flight I want.
so. we all use SDC for our advantages. even i was a NW Gold (and later DL Plat) last year. i never knew about SDC until 2 weeks ago. It has been useful for me since then, flying on much better flight. for example. able to fly on flight with confirmed first class.

since i spend every penny out of my own pocket for traveling. able to get a few more status miles is very important. but 3 hrs window is before the flight you want to fly, not where u originally book. so. it could be much earlier in the day. for example, flying in the morning with a red-eye booking. it is mostly not of interested to me since i aim at bump vouchers. and i only do it if i am sure there is no bump opportunity.
Old Feb 16, 10, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC

David
And how do you explain that to the agent?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: