can't protect on airfrance? WHAT?

Old Feb 10, 2010, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL:Diamond, United:1P, Continental: Plat, HH:Gold, SPG:Gold
can't protect on airfrance? WHAT?

so flight tomorrow am to jfk is cancelled. this is the feeder for a 8pm flight from jfk to madrid that is still scheduled. anyway no other fights to jfk are available as they're all oversold due to everyone getting bumped today.

when i first went to delta.com the automated system offered to protect me through atlanta connecting to a klm flight that didnt get in until later than i wanted friday in madrid. so i called the medallion line. ms unhappy with her job and sounding cranky (who didn't even greet me as a medallion by name i had to ask if it was the medallion line) says they can't protect me on a delta coded af operated flight through jfk.

This doesn't make sense. Why can the automated system protect me onto a KLM flight but the agent can't protect me onto a af flight? she said she couldn't do klm either btw.

please advise. this is screwy.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you can be protected onto a KLM flight (maybe the discrepancy between the computer and the agent is a matter of the TATL vs the connecting AMS-MAD flights, the latter might not have a DL/NW codeshare), this could still be the result of NW legacy's very close relation to KLM, which I understand was different than the relation between DL and AF was.

If you can get to AMS, there should be a bunch of KLM flights to MAD. Try to check loads, but I would expect your chances to be good at the KLM transfer desks (or maybe the KLM lounges, although I've never been able to figure out exactly what the agents do there). The transfer desks have very quick elite lines. Be sure to take a number from the right machine for your elite status and be ready to show your card to the agent. IME as Plat I got the very next agent always, even when they experienced a computer meltdown and some coach passengers waited eight hours as staff served them lemonade and snacks in the transfer desk waiting area. There are also some self-service kiosks in the transfer desk area, but I'm not sure they do more than issue boarding passes. However, note that if you run to the gate, they will probably not be willing/able to put you on the flight.

I'm from DL-North, but I would pick AMS over CDG in this situation. The KL staff at AMS are efficient and tend to rebook upgraded passengers into business class. Even if you're just in FC on DCA-ATL or whatever, you could get lucky. I haven't been in the situation recently and I never knew the actual rules, but I think their SOP used to be to arrange prepaid hotels for stranded passengers, perhaps near the airport rather than in the city, but overall pretty high quality. OTOH, I've seen CDG have hours of lines for (NW days) WBC check-in two days after a minor winter storm in Central Europe; AF told me then that I should have been at the airport by 6 am for a 2 pm flight.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 7:53 am
Original Poster

thanks

thanks. if i choose to fly out the next day, delta.com also shows a whole bunch of air france flights as well. so it's definitely possible to rebook on delta.com for flights operated by KLM OR AF. I think either the agent was uniformed or lazy or perhaps they have a weird system that lets us do more online at delta.com then they can do on their end (that seems strange to me).

In any case it is all moot b/c a seat opened up on a dca-lga flight so i will just cab it over to jfk to catch the evening flight to madrid.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by jenniparks
so flight tomorrow am to jfk is cancelled. this is the feeder for a 8pm flight from jfk to madrid that is still scheduled. anyway no other fights to jfk are available as they're all oversold due to everyone getting bumped today.

when i first went to delta.com the automated system offered to protect me through atlanta connecting to a klm flight that didnt get in until later than i wanted friday in madrid. so i called the medallion line. ms unhappy with her job and sounding cranky (who didn't even greet me as a medallion by name i had to ask if it was the medallion line) says they can't protect me on a delta coded af operated flight through jfk.

This doesn't make sense. Why can the automated system protect me onto a KLM flight but the agent can't protect me onto a af flight? she said she couldn't do klm either btw.

please advise. this is screwy.
Let me restate in case I didn't catch everything correctly.

1) You are scheduled to travel through JFK on your way to Europe
2) Weather problems are such a mess that DL offered to protect you through Atlanta to Europe
3) You want to be protected on a flight through JFK
4) They won't protect you through JFK on AF
5) But they will protect you through ATL on KL

I don't blame DL for saying no. Why should they protect you through JFK when JFK is bound to be a holy meltdown? I would think there is a moratorium on ANY schedule changes that will bring JFK into anyone's itinerary.

Did I miss your issue entirely?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:09 am
Original Poster

yes

yes you did miss the issue. The issue is that Delta rep said they do not have the ability to protect travelers on flights operated by other carriers period. KLM, AF, or any carrier. When i told her i could do it at delta.com she said it doesn't matter it is against the rules and it should not be possible to do it anywhere. that is what i am questioning- is it really against the rules and if so why is the option available at dl.com. (also as a note about klm vs af, af connecting in jfk is also available through dl.com just not the specific flight times i was wanting).

Originally Posted by Evan!
Let me restate in case I didn't catch everything correctly.

1) You are scheduled to travel through JFK on your way to Europe
2) Weather problems are such a mess that DL offered to protect you through Atlanta to Europe
3) You want to be protected on a flight through JFK
4) They won't protect you through JFK on AF
5) But they will protect you through ATL on KL

I don't blame DL for saying no. Why should they protect you through JFK when JFK is bound to be a holy meltdown? I would think there is a moratorium on ANY schedule changes that will bring JFK into anyone's itinerary.

Did I miss your issue entirely?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:16 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Sorry, I also don't get it. Where does AF come into this from JFK?! I presume you are on DL126 nonstop JFK-MAD. If you can catch an AF flight from JFK then why won't you be able to catch your original flight?! Which AF flights were you hoping to catch? Need some more info on this
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:24 am
Original Poster

confusion

Originally Posted by nomad1974
Sorry, I also don't get it. Where does AF come into this from JFK?! I presume you are on DL126 nonstop JFK-MAD. If you can catch an AF flight from JFK then why won't you be able to catch your original flight?! Which AF flights were you hoping to catch? Need some more info on this
sorry for the confusion. the available dl flight i wanted gets into jfk too late for our original flight, but not too late for an af flight that goes out from jfk after 10pm. anyway its all moot now b/c a seat opened up on another dl flight to nyc earlier in the day.

i still would like clarification though on this alleged rule that dl agents are not allowed to protect passengers on dl ticketed af or klm operated flights. doesn't seem that could be the case when the website lets you do it.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:42 am

Programs: DL DM
I believe it is correct that DL cannot 'protect' you on other carriers. They can rebook you on other carriers if you need to change flights due to a cancellation. (When it is a WX reason they may not be as willing as if it is mechanical to put you on another carrier.) They will not let you hold a reservation on DL from AAA to BBB via CCC and also hold a backup (aka 'protect') reservation on AF/KL from AAA to BBB via DDD.

Why not just change your routing now instead of having a 'protection' routing? Perhaps see if you can go from IAD to MAD via CDG on AF? Looks like both IAD-CDG runs have some seats open tomorrow.

Another alternative would be to get to JFK via ground transit from DC... weather should be clear by early morning tomorrow.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:43 am
KLC
In Memoriam

... i still would like clarification though on this alleged rule that dl agents are not allowed to protect passengers on dl ticketed af or klm operated flights. doesn't seem that could be the case when the website lets you do it.
Glad to hear that seat opened up for you!

Maybe the problem with the agent was just a terminology misunderstanding? I've always understood "protecting" a pax to mean purposely booking a second/backup rez in case of a potential misconnect. Weren't you actually trying to rebook a firm alternative itinerary?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLC
Glad to hear that seat opened up for you!

Maybe the problem with the agent was just a terminology misunderstanding? I've always understood "protecting" a pax to mean purposely booking a second/backup rez in case of a potential misconnect. Weren't you actually trying to rebook a firm alternative itinerary?
yes i was trying to book a firm alternate after the original trip was cancelled. she threw out the term protect, i didn't.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NHFL9
I believe it is correct that DL cannot 'protect' you on other carriers. They can rebook you on other carriers if you need to change flights due to a cancellation. (When it is a WX reason they may not be as willing as if it is mechanical to put you on another carrier.) They will not let you hold a reservation on DL from AAA to BBB via CCC and also hold a backup (aka 'protect') reservation on AF/KL from AAA to BBB via DDD.

Why not just change your routing now instead of having a 'protection' routing? Perhaps see if you can go from IAD to MAD via CDG on AF? Looks like both IAD-CDG runs have some seats open tomorrow.

Another alternative would be to get to JFK via ground transit from DC... weather should be clear by early morning tomorrow.
i wasn't trying to book an addl flight as backup. the original flights were cancelled due to weather and i was trying to book a substitute flight. the agent used the term protect, i didn't. she was referring to a whole new reservation though to replace a cancelled itin due to weather.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
so flight tomorrow am to jfk is cancelled. . so i called the medallion line. ms unhappy with her job and sounding cranky (who didn't even greet me as a medallion by name i had to ask if it was the medallion line) .
Does it really matter to you that you werent greeted by name? Is it that really that big of a deal? Sure its nice, but in the grand scheme of things, i am sure there are bigger worries going on right now with getting thousands of customers rebooked.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 9:43 am
Original Poster

why it matters

Originally Posted by nypdLieu
Does it really matter to you that you werent greeted by name? Is it that really that big of a deal? Sure its nice, but in the grand scheme of things, i am sure there are bigger worries going on right now with getting thousands of customers rebooked.
it's a concern only because it's a possible indication that i wasn't routed to the actual elite line, but the general line (where the staff is less knowledgeable and has less tools at their disposal). when i connect to an agent that doesn't know my name or have my itineraries in front of her automatically it might mean i've been dumped on the general line. The elite agents are pretty good at giving a name greeting and having your itinerary right in front of them.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 9:52 am

Programs: DL DM
yes i was trying to book a firm alternate after the original trip was cancelled. she threw out the term protect, i didn't.
Got it. "Protect" generally means a backup reservation in case the ticketed reservation fails. They will generally try to avoid putting you on other carriers when the delay/cancellation is due to WX.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:37 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Just another example of the myriad :-: best in class :-: services that you now know to expect from DL.

NW routinely protected me on other carriers when scheduling irregularities arose. Even CO, who don't have the greatest irop handling rep, did so efficiently including seamless full J protection on NW on one of the notorious misfiled Y fares to LGW a couple years ago.

And just last week on AF themselves at CDG, missed connex thanks to late inbound disembarkation (frozen jetbridge and no stairs immediately available). Missed my ride on the 388, so to the counter ready for battle with AF CSRs. But no need, they rebooked and reissued on the spot, in J, on a later 772 to JFK and preserved my next day's F seat to TUS on DL.

This was not protection per se, true, but it was nevertheless efficient and effective service recovery in the heart of the Gaullist lair itself in 2E involving a 012-stock e-ticket on an 11-sector, four carrier award.

It is truly a revelation when flyers can depend on the Gaullists themselves for service recovery/rebooking more than they can on their own DL program as PM. I am very glad none of this necessitated a call to DL from the bowels at CDG.

I used to have the NW PE line on speeddial and used them routinely while standing in irop service lines at AMS, prompting KL agents to simply give new BPs with none of the classic HINM.

I wouldn't bother even attempting this with DL SMS. That's significant service erosion... from best in class, to :-: best in class :-:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.