Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Companion Cert - more restrictive than just L, U, T class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2010, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

I know to a degree foolish, but still trying to make use of the DL AMEX companion certificates I get annually. The availability for my destination and travel dates is already tight, but occasionally I do find flights in L/U/T classes. In fact I just found one, all flights on DL metal.

However, when I go to Profiles, select the certificate, and try to use it's online booking screen, it says, "search request did not process", which I interpret to mean, "no availability".

I pulled up the terms of the companion certificates, and it says, "Seats are limited in L, U, T class of service", instead of perhaps "...to..." Does this mean effectively that not all L/U/T fares are eligible for companion use, that there additional restrictions besides it just being an L/U/T fare?

I haven't called the special certicate reservations number yet, 1) I'd rather not pay the extra $20 (?) per ticket phone fee, and 2) I'm not definitely set on the flights I'm seeing. I'm not sure if I make the argument, "I'm seeing flights in L/U/T, why can't I use the voucher?", if they'll actually know the answer, or if they'll just say, "Sorry, I don't see those as being available on my screen."

Jeff
Old Feb 9, 2010, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Other than LUT and paying with your DL AmEx, I know of no restrictions on the certificate. The fact that it is online makes it super easy to use, I went looking yesterday for flights and DL.com gave me eligible flights for the day I searched.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 5:43 pm

Programs: Dl Co
On january first, I booked my companion airfare ticket on line and paid with Amex Delta card. It well very smoothly and I did not encounter any problems.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 7:27 pm

Something that I found interesting is if you use a DL Reserve certificate for Coach, you will get a maximum of 3 flights to choose from even though there may be many more LUT flights available. If I attempt to use a DL Platinum certificate, all flights with LUT fares will be available.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL Plat AA Gold Airtran Elite HH Diamond Marriott Plat *Wood Plat
i had the exact same problem wheh i used mine and immediately assumed DL was trying to rip me off by offering LIMITED L-U-T fares. I was relieved when i called SMS and they booked it for me when told them I wanted a U fare i found with a regular search (that did not show up with the cert search). It took over an hour on the phone but it did work. i was skeptical that it was properly ticketed and made a special effort to check in early to be safe, but in the end I flew with no problems.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL Plat AA Gold Airtran Elite HH Diamond Marriott Plat *Wood Plat
oh and don't let them charge you the phone fee either. it's their website's fault you couldn't book online, not yours. They charged me the phone fee without telling me and when i saw it on my Amex statement a week later I raised all kinds of hell on the phone and they refunded it. this is the same situation as when you get the "oops we had a problem" error when buying a revenue flight online and then calling to book it. They have the authority to waive the phone fee if the issue is their stupid website, and if they say they don't they are lying. Sometimes they have to transfer you to the web help desk to get someone with that authority but it can be done. in my experience the web guy takes one look and says "yep, site's broke, let me ticket it for you and i'll waive the phone fee"
Old Feb 10, 2010, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by jwhite4
I know to a degree foolish, but still trying to make use of the DL AMEX companion certificates I get annually. The availability for my destination and travel dates is already tight, but occasionally I do find flights in L/U/T classes. In fact I just found one, all flights on DL metal.

However, when I go to Profiles, select the certificate, and try to use it's online booking screen, it says, "search request did not process", which I interpret to mean, "no availability".

I pulled up the terms of the companion certificates, and it says, "Seats are limited in L, U, T class of service", instead of perhaps "...to..." Does this mean effectively that not all L/U/T fares are eligible for companion use, that there additional restrictions besides it just being an L/U/T fare?

I haven't called the special certicate reservations number yet, 1) I'd rather not pay the extra $20 (?) per ticket phone fee, and 2) I'm not definitely set on the flights I'm seeing. I'm not sure if I make the argument, "I'm seeing flights in L/U/T, why can't I use the voucher?", if they'll actually know the answer, or if they'll just say, "Sorry, I don't see those as being available on my screen."

Jeff
Thats correct they sometimes limit the number of seats in L/U/T which will affect your ability to get them unless you book early.

From Delta.com

Restrictions
Redemption available only on delta.com. All travel must be completed one year from certificate issue date. Both passengers must be booked at the same time, in the same class of service and in the same record. Seats are limited in First-Class to F class of service, and in Coach-Class L, U, T class of service. All fare rules, restrictions, advance purchase requirements, and availability are per rule of Primary Ticket fare purchased. Seats available at most fares are limited and may not be available on all flights. Primary ticket will accrue miles. Companion ticket will not accrue miles. Tickets are not eligible for mileage upgrades, Platinum Systemwide Upgrade Certificates, or Medallion Complimentary upgrades. All Delta SkyMiles program rules apply. To review the rules, please visit delta.com/skymiles.

Blackout Dates
Subject to rules of fare purchased. Most fares require an advance purchase of up to 30 days, a 3 night minimum stay and a 30-day maximum stay. Stopovers, open jaws, and circle trips are not permitted
Old Feb 10, 2010, 7:06 am

Tickets are not eligible for mileage upgrades, Platinum Systemwide Upgrade Certificates, or Medallion Complimentary upgrades.
so that's why even the short hop segments on my trip this upcoming weekend hasn't been upgraded yet. I split the PNR just to be sure, but it looks like Delta I.T. is smart enough to know not to upgrade me or my companion flying for "free".
Old Mar 7, 2010, 1:31 pm

Help redeeming AMEX companion cert

All,

I am trying to redeem my Delta Skymiles Amex Gold $99 companion certificate for a trip this summer. My girlfriend and I are planning on flying from EWR to SLC and then LAS to any NYC airport depending on what one is cheaper. The problem I'm running into is can I redeem the certificate with a multi city booking?

Thanks
Len
Old Mar 7, 2010, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
See the routing T&Cs in post #7.

Last edited by Canarsie; Oct 9, 2010 at 5:21 pm Reason: Removed obsolete link.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.