Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling my ticket

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2010, 7:44 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Cancelling my ticket

My husband & I have tickets to Ohio in March for an event that just got cancelled! Do I call and cancel the tickets now or wait and see if they do a schedule change or weather waiver for those dates and then can change them or hold them for future travel for free with no change fee? (not unlikely to get a huge snowstorm in Cleveland or MSP in March!) Am I required at some point to let them know we won't be flying that ticket or will they just automatically credit them to my Delta account? Just trying to get around the huge charge of $150 each to change them. They are non-refundable tickets, dang! Any help appreciated!
Old Feb 9, 2010, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, WN, SPG, MR Gold, HH Gold VIP
Absent a weather event, they're not going to waive the change fee. You do need to actually cancel the reservation at some point, the tickets have no value for future travel if you no-show.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Wait to cancel as long as possible. IF there is a schedule change (unlikely but always possible), then you can call, cancel and ask for a refund. With that said, has there been a schedule change since you've booked the flights?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: Chivas, Tequila, Good Beer
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Wait to cancel as long as possible. IF there is a schedule change (unlikely but always possible), then you can call, cancel and ask for a refund. With that said, has there been a schedule change since you've booked the flights?
I agree. Wait as long as possible. I doubt there will be an event that will get you off the hook but you have nothing to loose by waiting. Keep future travel in mind and be ready to pull the trigger 7 days before travel.

Keep in mind the new tickets may be more expensive and thus the difference plus the $150 fee could be huge.

I travel every week and usually keep 5 reservations in line. When plans change I do have to rebook and eat the $150; however with some creative planning the new tickets could be cheaper and thus offset the $150 fee.

Good Luck!
Old Feb 9, 2010, 8:43 am

Programs: DL 1MM Diamond, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Ragazza
the tickets have no value for future travel if you no-show.
This is not true on Delta (it is the policy of some low fare airlines like AirTran and JetBlue).
Old Feb 9, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by EmoryFlyer
This is not true on Delta (it is the policy of some low fare airlines like AirTran and JetBlue).
Right..if you don't show, the residual value (which is ticket price minus $150 change fee) will show in your Ecredits portion of your profile.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 9:23 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I do plan on waiting as long as possible to cancel. Am I correct that it is $150 per ticket? (ouch). Can't believe I am hoping for a snowstorm in late March, already sick of the winter weather here!

Good suggestion to check for schedule changes and hopefully they are "unacceptable". I believe it must be at least a 90 min. change.

Praying for a good solution, especially because I think I over paid for the tickets in the first place!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.