Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Europe OP-Up chances from various gateways

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2010, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DL DM & 2MM

I have an upcoming trip to FRA and there's no way I'm going to be able to book a M fare for the trip in order to use a PMU for J. However I have the option of traveling via ATL or JFK or even DTW for that matter. I was curious from other FT's on here which gateway has the better chances on a gratuitous upgrade for a PM (DM in waiting)? None of the birds across the pond seem to be oversold in Y or even full for that matter so a OP-up based on that seems unlikely. I'm also traveling outbound on my birthday so I'm curious if that will make a difference at any of the gateways also. Any insight from past experiences would be appreciated.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 1:32 pm

Programs: Route Inn Super Mega Ultra Plataimond, Fee-Paying Customer of JL, NH, LH, OneWorld Boarding Group 5
I was bumped up to BE ATL-FCO and FCO-ATL on NW back in May. That was on a T fare.

Just before Thanksgiving I was upgraded to J on AF CDG-IAD. Ticket was issued by DL; think this was a T fare also.

Was PM for both of these op-ups.

I can only suggest you look for busy travel days in Europe (or specific countries) when a given airline might oversell the Y cabin.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:30 pm

My advice would be to play the lottery, and if you hit the number use your winnings to buy a BE ticket. The odds of getting an OpUp are not much better.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was upgraded MAD-JFK twice last year.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:58 pm

Programs: SkyMiles PM, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I was upgraded MAD-JFK twice last year.
Encouraging! I'm going JFK-MAD next Tuesday and can't stop myself from checking out the available seating in coach every day. The return trip looks a bit fuller.

I got an op-up BCN-JFK last March, as FO.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
I was Op-Upped on JFK-PRG in October as a GM on a T fare....I boarded in coach and right before the door closed the GA came aboard and asked me if I would like to move up front because they had a seat available...not sure if it was a "legit" Op-Up or not...I had been sweet talking her for an hour at the gate inquiring about a possible OP-UP and if the plane was oversold so maybe she just gave it to me bc she didnt underdstand the rules?? They did NOT fill my coach seat...
Old Feb 3, 2010, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Most of my TATL flight are pleasure/vacation.

If the family is with me we are usually flying at heavy vacation traffic time. I have been op-up 9 out of 13 in the last six years.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DL DM & 2MM
Originally Posted by tentseller
Most of my TATL flight are pleasure/vacation.

If the family is with me we are usually flying at heavy vacation traffic time. I have been op-up 9 out of 13 in the last six years.
What gateway do you generally go out of?
Old Feb 3, 2010, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by 53flyer
My advice would be to play the lottery, and if you hit the number use your winnings to buy a BE ticket. The odds of getting an OpUp are not much better.
Based on the other responses I'm seeing, this statement doesn't seem quite true.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by pdac1975
Based on the other responses I'm seeing, this statement doesn't seem quite true.
Not necessarily; I'm sure lots of people who haven't received an op-up aren't posting (as well as the number of times op-up posters haven't received op-ups).

To the OP, it is really hit-or-miss. I've received op-ups when I thought there was a chance and when I thought it was unlikely, and haven't received op-ups when I thought there was a good chance (Y<5). I'd look at fare buckets for different routings and dates (if you're flexible) and try to find a flight where lower the fare buckets are 0.

For sure, op-ups are more common around the holidays, when loads are high and business travel is light.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 4:13 pm

Programs: former
>>>>>>I had been sweet talking her for an hour at the gate inquiring about a possible OP-UP and if the plane was oversold so maybe she just gave it to me bc she didnt underdstand the rules?? They did NOT fill my coach seat...

Please PM me with the name brands of your cologne and after-shave.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
Originally Posted by nwacked
>>>>>>I had been sweet talking her for an hour at the gate inquiring about a possible OP-UP and if the plane was oversold so maybe she just gave it to me bc she didnt underdstand the rules?? They did NOT fill my coach seat...

Please PM me with the name brands of your cologne and after-shave.
+1
Old Feb 3, 2010, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
For sure, op-ups are more common around the holidays, when loads are high and business travel is light.
I second this. Generally, my trans-Atlantic op ups have been mainly around Xmas, easter, and the summer holidays. For example, last year I did the Europe-US round trip about ten times and was op-uped back from the US to CDG on the last day of French vacations and on 24 December. The last op-up was probably the rarest possible one - this was a double one from economy to business and then, at the gate, into first! In both cases this was flying on a DL ticket on AF metal.

But then, 2009 must have been my lucky year. Never had an op up on AF for the 8 or 9 years before that, and I also very regularly was flying them... (with DL status).
Old Feb 3, 2010, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
I was Op-Upped on JFK-PRG in October as a GM on a T fare....I boarded in coach and right before the door closed the GA came aboard and asked me if I would like to move up front because they had a seat available...not sure if it was a "legit" Op-Up or not...I had been sweet talking her for an hour at the gate inquiring about a possible OP-UP and if the plane was oversold so maybe she just gave it to me bc she didnt underdstand the rules?? They did NOT fill my coach seat...
Nice! One must learn the ability to whisper sweet nothings
Old Feb 3, 2010, 5:48 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I asked about and received an op-up at the gate last May for a SEA-AMS flight. I tried again on the same route in early December, with no luck. I was GM (still GE on NWA in May) both times; in both cases the flights were not full in either coach or business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.