Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can't check in for the return trip although I am within 24 hours of the retrun.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2010, 1:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I am doing a same day BWI-DTW-SEA-DTW-BWI mileage run. I was able to check-in on line for the outbound trip, but not for the inbound trip. Called DL elite line, which says I can't check in for the return until I land at my destination. Has DL always had this rule, is it something new or the agent just made it up?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 1:47 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
If you skip one leg the rest of the reservation gets canceled. I'm assuming DL won't let you check in for the return until the outbound segments have been completed. It sort of makes sense; otherwise you could potentially check-in to fly A-B-C but only fly A-B and then fly back C-B-A.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 5:23 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Can't speak for DL. At least for NW, I've checked-in many times (more like every time) for all legs, specifically for same-day business trips (arrive/depature 10 hours apart), and MRs (arrival/departure 1 hour apart).

If I can't check in for all segments on an MR, this is going to get interesting. Guess that means checking in for the return via smartphone when the plane lands, then dealing with the GA "where'd your BP go", "use the kiosk", etc.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 5:53 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
As I recall NW did let you check in for all legs on a same day return, and on one BP at that. DL wouldn't until you completed the outbound leg(s).

However, on a recent MR OLCI did let me check in for both outbound and return (DL metal outbound, NW metal back, checked in at DL.com (and I still got three BPs).

Bottom line, I know it has worked recently, so it is possible.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 6:41 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott Platinum,Avis First
On an all DL MR it has never let me check in for the return until my last outbound BP has been scanned. Once that has happened I have been able to check-in on my phone / GoGo service right afterward.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by planecrazy63
On an all DL MR it has never let me check in for the return until my last outbound BP has been scanned. Once that has happened I have been able to check-in on my phone / GoGo service right afterward.
That's what I do, check-in with my phone to check-in for the return. To board, I use my old BP or Delta AmEx or Sky Club card or Medallion card (anything with a barcode that contains my SkyMiles number).
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hyatt
Had the EXACT same problem on a MR on Sunday/Monday (IND-DTW-SEA-DTW-BWI). Tried to get all boarding passes in IND but was unable to even with ticket counter help. Got to SEA and went to GA and asked them to reprint my boarding passes. An inconvenience but not the end of the world.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hyatt
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
That's what I do, check-in with my phone to check-in for the return. To board, I use my old BP or Delta AmEx or Sky Club card or Medallion card (anything with a barcode that contains my SkyMiles number).
New one for me. You could board with just your Delta SkyMiles card or Medallion tag?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by iuchris
New one for me. You could board with just your Delta SkyMiles card or Medallion tag?
Yep. You do have to be checked in. The gate scanners will recognize your SM number and spit out that little slip of paper with your seat assignment. Not many flyers or gate agents know about this. You'll get funny looks doing it but it is pretty cool.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by iuchris
Yes, I've been meaning to try that, just for kicks. The scanner reads your FF numbers and spits out a mini boarding pass, just like a BF upgrade. It's got to be the best kept secret around (next to successful low-level award redemption techniques).
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:52 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by sbagdon
Can't speak for DL. At least for NW, I've checked-in many times (more like every time) for all legs, specifically for same-day business trips (arrive/depature 10 hours apart), and MRs (arrival/departure 1 hour apart).

If I can't check in for all segments on an MR, this is going to get interesting. Guess that means checking in for the return via smartphone when the plane lands, then dealing with the GA "where'd your BP go", "use the kiosk", etc.
The only two times I remember same-day MR's with NW, I was never able to check in for the return flight until I was at my destination. I especially remember MSP-MDW-MSP when I was doing a turnaround on the same plane. My MSP-MDW flight was delayed and I thought I might lose my seat on the return since I was not checked in before the scheduled cutoff time. The people in the WorldClub were helpful and even phones MDW for me. But I could not get the boarding pass, either checking in online or asking the WC peopole to check me in. I had to do that once I landed.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:53 am

Always had that rule.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Unfortunately sometimes GA's decide you "can't board that way" so I show them exactly how you can by scanning the bar code. Out pops the seat assignment and they let me go on my way.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I have had business trips on DL where I went from A to B in the morning and from B to C later that evening. Could not check in for B to C until after I flew A to B. PITA

Most likely, the accounting trolls in Revenue Management have a rationale for this.

Probably to prevent you from buying a less expensive A to B to C to B to A ticket, and not flying the B to C to B legs... as opposed to buying the ridiculously more expensive A to B to A ticket (remember CVG at the height of the DL fare abuse program).
Old Feb 2, 2010, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
It can be somewhat nerve wracking if you're on a MR, returning on the same aircraft, and the outbound flight (the one you're on) is arriving late. I came very close to missing the 30 minute check-in cutoff for my return flight once.

In these situations can you call to check in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.