Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Looking for Tips to Make Lifetime Platinum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, CO, US, FL + 7 Intl

I just joined Flyertalk today....quite impressive. I am a retired aerospace exec (Pratt & Whitney) and spent most of my career flying around the world on DL.... have 2.6 million miles & lifetime Gold status.

I would really like to make lifetime Platinum (3MM last I heard), but am not traveling much internationally since I retired. Any suggestions on the best way(s) to rapidly increase mileage short of spending $400K of my grandkids inheritance on my DL/AMEX credit card??
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Lifetime Platinum is at the 4MM level, so there would be a pretty big gap to get the remaining 1.4MM.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Welcome to FT.

The simple answer is fly.

Since you don't fly much internationally, is the difference between Gold & Platinum Medallion that much?
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Welcome to FlyerTalk and the Delta forum in particular, WarEagle70!

There are two places where you could start looking:I hope this helps, and I know that other Delta forum FlyerTalk members will assist you with other ideas.

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
And Plat is the new Gold
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:36 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Originally Posted by WarEagle70
I just joined Flyertalk today....quite impressive. I am a retired aerospace exec (Pratt & Whitney) and spent most of my career flying around the world on DL.... have 2.6 million miles & lifetime Gold status.

I would really like to make lifetime Platinum (3MM last I heard), but am not traveling much internationally since I retired. Any suggestions on the best way(s) to rapidly increase mileage short of spending $400K of my grandkids inheritance on my DL/AMEX credit card??
Welcome to flyertalk! DL now requires 4MM for lifetime platinum- so it means flying another 1.4 MM. Upon reaching 3MM you get a present, but not a lifetime platinum...

On a side note (regarding your goal) as a PM (and soon DM) pax, I am not sure it is worth it anymore- that is investment of time and money to ensure PM status... given that you have GM, and eligible for the future skypriority benefits, as well as a pretty decent upgrade/mileage bonus, I would consider 'splitting' the investment and getting an elite status with another airline...

Welcome again!

DLroads
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Maybe DL should change the lifetime qualifications: 3mm for Plat, 4mm for Diamond.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:52 pm
KLC
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Maybe DL should change the lifetime qualifications: 3mm for Plat, 4mm for Diamond.
+1 - Great idea!!
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
One idea that I have been advocating is to give lifetime PM status to individuals who have attained PM status for 10 consecutive years. I believe that AF does that currently.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
You and KLC didn't extend the series properly. It could be 1, 2, 4, 8...

They didn't make Diamond 75K and reduce Plat to 62,500 annual MQM.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA, EXP. DL, DM 1MM. HHonors, Diamond. Hertz, PC. National, EE.
Originally Posted by RobertS975
One idea that I have been advocating is to give lifetime PM status to individuals who have attained PM status for 10 consecutive years. I believe that AF does that currently.
That would be nice for those of us that do mostly domestic segments. I fly internationally, maybe once every 3 years, so the BIS miles are a lot lower, but I do fly at least 3 round trips a month, all over the country.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
lifetime? or annual?

For the record, DL no longer refers to the perk as "complimentary lifetime xxx Medallion status" but rather "complimentary annual xxx Medallion status". Some on this forum (myself included) have speculated that this means they might take it away in the future or cap the complimentary status after some arbitrary number of years.

Below is from delta.com (here, scroll down to the bottom of the page).
Million Miler Status
The Million Miler™ Program recognizes and rewards those customers who have flown an exceptional amount with us.

* Members who reach one million Medallion Qualification Miles are currently awarded complimentary annual Silver Medallion status.
* Members who reach two million Medallion Qualification Miles are currently awarded complimentary annual Gold Medallion status.
* Members who reach four million plus Medallion Qualification Miles are currently awarded complimentary annual Platinum Medallion status.
* Every time you reach a new level of Million Miler status you will have the opportunity to choose an exclusive gift as a token of our appreciation.

Million Miler balances are based on total Medallion Qualification Miles earned over a member’s lifetime.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 4:17 pm

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hilton & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme

Why not 1, 2, 4, 8, 16. Don't forget about Executive Partner (EP) or whatever Delta wants to call this program.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by ceieoc
Why not 1, 2, 4, 8, 16. Don't forget about Executive Partner (EP) or whatever Delta wants to call this program.
EP will be discontinued at the end of February. They are now (or soon to be) Diamonds.

Official: EP is Gone Feb 28, 2010
Old Jan 22, 2010, 4:36 pm
KLC
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by 3Cforme

I can dream, though.

3MM is within reach. I don't know if I have enough lifetime left to make 4MM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.