Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Banana Bandit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:14 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mikelevitt
You guys just don't see that this is the tip of an iceberg. An airline culture that feels that the needs of the employees are more important than the needs of the passengers. An airline culture that feels that a non-rev employee should be upgraded before a revenue generating passenger.

If there is only one banana on the airplane, and a passenger wants it, and asked for it - the FA still takes it for herself. That is total BS - even though it is a small, small matter.

I am the CEO of a small company. In my company the customer comes first, and the employee second, regardless of circumstances. Our customers reward us for this by hiring us again and again.

If the banana bandit was my employee, I would fire her, not because of her "theft," but because she made one of my customers feel like crap.

The customer is the only source of revenue. If they are not happy, they will find another airline - period.
Kudos for this one. I think it sums up the situation perfectly. I find far too many DL employees exhibit a contempt for customers and a sense of entitlement at their expense.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:13 pm

Programs: Delta splat ! SPG plat . Hyatt Diamond . UA 1P
QUOTE]
Suggested change to thread title: How Many SkyMiles is a Bummed Banana Worth?[/QUOTE]

no , please don't . I don't know how that would read to Americans but to us Brits it sounds obscene
Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:17 pm

Programs: Delta splat ! SPG plat . Hyatt Diamond . UA 1P
Originally Posted by gte157q
today i took a flight on DL. i was not treated like royalty. should i write a letter and how many miles should i demand? cmon people this is getting ridiculous. another reason why there are 1 bazillion unused miles out there driving up the cost of redemptions.
I ignore hotel and airline reviews written by Americans because they think that they received awesome service if the staff didn't actually spit at them.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by vgb2001
I think we should start a "banana shenanigans" thread
Just be glad there is no way for DL to replace real bananas with fake bananas
Old Jan 22, 2010, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Although I basically agreeing with mikelevitt, what is the status these days of crew meals on the DL & NW planes?

Is it possible she was just hungry -- really hungry?

My recollection is that crew meals were one of the major issues the NW FAs had with the contract changes NW had proposed. I don't remember what the resolution was on that issue.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jan 22, 2010 at 5:00 am
Old Jan 22, 2010, 2:33 am

Programs: NW Diamond, LH SEN, PC Spire - RA, TG PlatHyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by vatraveler
Kudos for this one. I think it sums up the situation perfectly. I find far too many DL employees exhibit a contempt for customers and a sense of entitlement at their expense.
+1. The terms "Customer First" just has no meaning at all these days.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 3:19 am
G.S

I blame the second FA what she should have done:
Was to suggest they cut the banana and give each a half.
Then who ever shout “DON’T DO IT ” is the true owner of the Banana
Old Jan 22, 2010, 5:39 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by G.S
+1

Thanks, that really made me chuckle.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
The banana wasn't the problem - it was the way she handled the situation.
When I asked if there were any more bananas - if she had said "Oh I just took this out of the basket but you can have it" There's no way I would have taken it from her. Instead she goes up front and stuffs it down here pocket to hide it like a 3 year old.
I would also never even consider writing DL about something like this had it not been the reaction I received from the other FA. She really wanted me to write a letter and I think it was her way to have somebody else start some action on the other FA. My impression was that there were much bigger issues at hand.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 6:12 am

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
More banana jokes please.

Debating the right and wrong of this is boring. The pilfered banana story is hilarious.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by G.S
This had me rolling over here this morning. Thanks, I needed that! ^
Old Jan 22, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: HH-Gold, MR-Platinum, SPG-Gold, AA-Platinum, UA-Silver, Alaska-Gold, National-EE
Originally Posted by G.S
haha, definitely laughed out loud with this one!
Old Jan 22, 2010, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The pilots are fond of the FC snack basket too. They will grab 2-4 items and retire into their private forward cabin.

MisterNice
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:52 am

"I iz in yur first clazz, stealin' all yur bananaz"
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:48 pm

Programs: DL GE
Whether or not this topic was started just as a jab (which, being just way to hilarious, has to be), let's get serious for a moment.

What if she has a potassium deficiency? How would you feel if she handed over the loot and ended up passing out 20 minutes later. Yeah, not very good would you. You would have had to divert, which probably would had complained about that too, and been delayed to your destination or connection and your luggage may or may not had been lost (my experience says it would be and my experience says - because of the late arrival - the car rental facility is close and that town has NO CABS or SHUTTLES. Where does one sleep? Can't sleep in the airport. Heck, you don't want to know where one slept in this situation, it was disgusting.)

All because of some damn fruit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.