FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Why I'm now a firm believer in DL leather vs NW cloth (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1040702-why-im-now-firm-believer-dl-leather-vs-nw-cloth.html)

hockeystl Jan 17, 2010 10:20 am

Why I'm now a firm believer in DL leather vs NW cloth

On a recent NW CR2 flight (leather, obviously) I was in 1C. 1D had a bowel issue and soiled their skivvies all the through to the point she left a small 'puddle' on the seat. I was borderline ill from both the site and smell (when the smell lingered after she left for the lav I looked over and saw the surprise).

I immediately told the FA who had the unfortunate task of cleaning this mess. Luckily there was a seat open and the FA was nice enough to discretely pass me a note pointing out the location.

Ok, so this happened on a RJ w/out FC but imagine where that fecal matter goes on an old NW cloth seat? Yep, it soaks right in. I'll take the downsides of DL leather (cold in winter/warm in summer) anytime in exchange for the fact it can actually be cleaned.

EVA777 Jan 17, 2010 10:27 am

Truly nasty! I hate to think about what was lingering in my DC9-30 cloth seat.

OT ... It's time for the yard for the 30's!

BF263533 Jan 17, 2010 10:46 am

The cloth seats were more comfortable. I would just close my eyes and enjoy the comfort. But leather can be cleaned more easily and that does make a big difference, and probably the only reason I prefer leather in public places.

I know the difficulty in such situations. I was on a non-Delta flight a few years ago and the baby in the seat in front of me had diarrhea and they kept changing the diapers on the seat with some of the soiled tissue being placed on the seat until they had time to dispose of it.

Leather or no leather, for sanitary reasons some things should be done in the lav on the drop-down table that the plane had.

skchin Jan 17, 2010 11:00 am

Last year I was flying back from LAS-JFK in F, I set next to a guy who soiled himself and had his brownies stained through his khakis. He asked me to switch seats with him because he had to go back and froth to his kids in the back. Thank God for leather seats, I drained my water glass and used to blankets to wipe the smell off. But still smelled and I could not tell this poor guy his browny tales.

socrates Jan 17, 2010 11:19 am

Originally Posted by hockeystl (Post 13198000)
On a recent NW CR2 flight (leather, obviously) I was in 1C. 1D had a bowel issue and soiled their skivvies all the through to the point she left a small 'puddle' on the seat. I was borderline ill from both the site and smell (when the smell lingered after she left for the lav I looked over and saw the surprise).

I immediately told the FA who had the unfortunate task of cleaning this mess. Luckily there was a seat open and the FA was nice enough to discretely pass me a note pointing out the location.

Ok, so this happened on a RJ w/out FC but imagine where that fecal matter goes on an old NW cloth seat? Yep, it soaks right in. I'll take the downsides of DL leather (cold in winter/warm in summer) anytime in exchange for the fact it can actually be cleaned.

I've seen this happen on mainline NW before....maint just replaces the cushion at the next station (if there is no cushion they block the seat out until it can be replaced)

BTW: Leather was extremely cold in ATL yesterday morning upon boarding....that's my minor complaint

MisterNice Jan 17, 2010 11:37 am

I prefer fabric but that dollar-store quality fabric NWA uses is really crummy.

MisterNice

nfg05 Jan 17, 2010 12:05 pm

Leather all the way, both for sanitary and comfort reasons. After a certain timeframe, cloth seats just get to a point of grubbiness where no amount of vacuuming or cleaning will improve the situation.

jrm68 Jan 17, 2010 2:17 pm

Wow,
When I saw the topic, I was mildly interested in it, assuming it to be leather versus cloth comfort debate. This might be the scariest thread I have ever read here.

I have to throw my support to leather now ;)

skchin Jan 17, 2010 3:53 pm

Don't forget to smell it before you sit. :D

GMill Jan 17, 2010 4:03 pm

After reading this thread, I vote for non-absorbent plastic or metal.

Maybe, everyone should bring his own cushion or pillow.

zsmith2 Jan 17, 2010 4:11 pm

I wish I hadn't have read this thread now...yuck!

dsldog400 Jan 17, 2010 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by EVA777 (Post 13198035)

OT ... It's time for the yard for the 30's!

NO, NO, NO !!!

I deliberately fly DC-9 segments whenever possible, and will tweak my schedule to do so. I just recently flew a -50 with the new leather upholstery for the first time. While I prefer good cloth covered seats, the new leather really helped give the plane a new, clean feel. I'll now vote for leather too.

EVA777 Jan 17, 2010 5:36 pm

It has nothing to do with the seats!

gatechange Jan 17, 2010 5:44 pm

All I can say is I will take comfort over anything but I do prefer cloth.
Recently was on JNB-ATL.. delayed leaving JNB, 16:50+ flight and no bay open in ATL so sat over an hour on plane in ATL before disembarking.. all told over 19 hours on that DL 777.. NO seat keeps its comfort that long but they do get harder, uncomfortable faster with leather IMHO.

nwacked Jan 17, 2010 6:29 pm

That and the head lice.