Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Las Vegas Would Be a Prime Location for a World Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Las Vegas Would Be a Prime Location for a World Club

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Question Las Vegas Would Be a Prime Location for a World Club

As we all lknow - no WC in Vegas. "President" Club only valid for NWA WC members until Jan. 31 -- then nothing available in the entire busy airport for Delta flyers! I called the Pres. WC and they will ONLY (until Jan. 31) allow the cardholder (Delta and NWA club members) into the club - no guests. The person at the club advised they are turning away close to 100 (yes one hundred) Delta and NWA flyers ON A DAILY BASIS... Sure seems to me like this is a prime location for a WC to be available for Delta flyers!!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by buck hunter
As we all lknow - no WC in Vegas. "President" Club only valid for NWA WC members until Jan. 31 -- then nothing available in the entire busy airport for Delta flyers! I called the Pres. WC and they will ONLY (until Jan. 31) allow the cardholder (Delta and NWA club members) into the club - no guests. The person at the club advised they are turning away close to 100 (yes one hundred) Delta and NWA flyers ON A DAILY BASIS... Sure seems to me like this is a prime location for a WC to be available for Delta flyers!!
The ones being turned away are trying to use an American Express Plat card. You must be flying CO to get in with an Am Ex card.

Of course later, the comp period goes away for paid members - and DL flyers could get in if they wanted to pay the $40-45 one day fee. For some that throw around high stake chips in Vegas - maybe $40 isn't too much.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
The title of this thread is misleading. I thought it was an announcement of a new lounge in LAS.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:22 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
It would be a prime location for DL to just pay a fee to CO, and let their valuable SkyClub members access the CO club --- which is steps away from the DL gates... without having to build a new SkyClub lounge and pay employees to work in the lounge.

Wow, what an idea. @:-)@:-)@:-)
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
I had hoped that DL and CO would strike a local deal to allow SC members into the PC. Obviously that is not going to happen. I agree, DL/NW has a big presence in LAS that could support a club.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
I had hoped that DL and CO would strike a local deal to allow SC members into the PC. Obviously that is not going to happen. I agree, DL/NW has a big presence in LAS that could support a club.
Well please remember that CO and DL are essentially divorcees - not much interest in mutual cooperation is going to be there. The sole reason they opened the window for extended club access was to try to poach customers from one another.

That said - I too am very sad to lose a club at LAS. Its even sadder considering we just got this club not all that long ago.

Overall the location loss to the SC system from CO has been devastating (DEN, LAS, IAH, AUS, SAT to name a few) and DL hasn't been helping (lost IAD last year, losing PHL this year although that may be temporary and that's on top of the 2007-08 closures). If they are serious about a club that charges membership they need to make up for all these losses with some re-opening or new locations.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:50 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by pmaddock
Well please remember that CO and DL are essentially divorcees - not much interest in mutual cooperation is going to be there. The sole reason they opened the window for extended club access was to try to poach customers from one another.

That said - I too am very sad to lose a club at LAS. Its even sadder considering we just got this club not all that long ago.

Overall the location loss to the SC system from CO has been devastating (DEN, LAS, IAH, AUS, SAT to name a few) and DL hasn't been helping (lost IAD last year, losing PHL this year although that may be temporary and that's on top of the 2007-08 closures). If they are serious about a club that charges membership they need to make up for all these losses with some re-opening or new locations.
Yes,
But if Delta was willing to pay $$$ to CO for each member that is admitted (sort of like the way AMEX-Platinum pays $$$ to CO, IIRC), I'm not really sure why CO wouldn't want to defray the cost of the lounge. We are really only talking 2-3 reciprocal 'pay as you go' situations systemwide.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
The title of this thread is misleading. I thought it was an announcement of a new lounge in LAS.
The title of this thread has been changed.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta forum
Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
Just this past Sunday night I was among the 100. Flying on a DL ticket but as a newly minted CO Plat. with an Amex Plat card to boot I figured I would give it the scouts try. Politely refused for having not flown on CO metal. That said, I got to burn one PMU at booking for the FC seat. Slept all the way home.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pmaddock
Especially now where perhaps there were not enough NW or DL flights or members at a single station to have a club, surely the combined traffic would warrant it at all of those airports mentioned above and others places like BWI or MDW.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 2:50 pm

Priority Pass All the Way!

I always had lounge access via Priority Pass (unless flying J). Getting kicked out of the Sky Club system has been a bit of an eye opener. I've been sampling various President Clubs and Red Carpet Lounges for a while and they typically have better amenities than the SkyClubs. I would say Red Carpet has the best Cheese and Cracker spread. I also like how many of the snacks are come out of a dispenser instead of a bowl anyone could put their grubby fingers into. The Presidents Clubs also seem to have a penchant for individually packaged foods. ^

Last edited by Canarsie; Jan 18, 2010 at 12:07 pm Reason: Removed quote containing now-deleted content.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
The Las Vegas President's Club leaving the SkyClub network was a big reason why I spent the money on a PC membership. The staff there is absolute top-quality and it is one of my favorite lounges out there.

As for opening a lounge in Las Vegas, there's a few issues.
(a) Space. There are two spaces for lounges in Concourse D. One is occupied by the President's Club. The other is the former National lounge, a much larger space located by the escalators. If Delta was going to open a lounge, the space where the CO lounge currently is would have been perfect. As it stands, DL is in a tough space because they really need the location of their current gates, as the pier they are in is the only pier that can currently take wide-bodies (the pier with NW can, but it is blocked off currently past the mid-food court area).
(b) Rent. Even with the space, it's pricey rent in Concourse D. Delta has said clubs must be profit centers. The swipes might not have offset the costs.

I've been told by the folks at the PC that they've been getting a decent number of new memberships from Delta folk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.