FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   DM-- can't wait or no big deal? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1039302-dm-cant-wait-no-big-deal.html)

safigan Jan 13, 2010 4:10 pm

DM-- can't wait or no big deal?

On my YVR-MSP-ATL flight Monday, I experienced a stark example of why some people can't wait for DM to kick in, while others don't see the value. On the YVR-MSP leg, there were two-- count 'em-- two people in F, presumably meaning that there were only 2 elites of any stripe on the entire plane. On the MSP-ATL flight, I failed to get upgraded on a less-than-full plane, despite being PM w/Delta Reserve AmEx. This is the usual occurence on this leg, as PM isn't good enough-- you need a high booking class as well.

For the record, I'm in the "can't wait for DM" category. I failed to get upgraded at the 5-day window for my ATL-PDX flight on Friday, and this is another low percentage shot for PMs with LUT tix.

slwkf1 Jan 13, 2010 4:21 pm

I don't have a SkyClub membership, but that's about the only thing. I don't expect my upgrade ratio will change much, although being a hub captive, it certainly wouldn't hurt.

bkmn Jan 13, 2010 6:39 pm

If DL doesn't release UG inventory by the 5 day window, DM will be meaningless for domestic UG's. The last few months I have had to endure the BF UG process even on a Y/B/M ticket due to DL not releasing UG inventory with plenty of seats available while plat.

Time will tell how valuable DM is.

edscholl Jan 13, 2010 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by bkmn (Post 13176483)
If DL doesn't release UG inventory by the 5 day window, DM will be meaningless for domestic UG's. The last few months I have had to endure the BF UG process even on a Y/B/M ticket due to DL not releasing UG inventory with plenty of seats available while plat.

do people expect to catch a lot more upgrades if they were released at the window? i personally don't really care about when they're released (i just want the upgrade :D), but maybe i'm missing something?

troyintn Jan 13, 2010 6:59 pm

I do not see it as that big a deal. I fly mid fare buckets mostly, and average 95% or so. The big deal will be Irrops, and when you rebook,and on standby you will have a chance. Overall it is a good thing, but not a huge deal. The thing I am looking forward to the most is phone CSRs. It is pretty bad for me at the moment, not sure how much of it is merger related, but I am on hold now more hten I have ever been.

MSPeconomist Jan 14, 2010 10:25 am

why EUA is much better than BF UGs

Of course a BF upgrade is better than nothing, but I appreciate knowing in advance, not only so that I can stop worrying whether it will go through or not, but also for my planning: should I buy food before boarding begins? should I have a glass of wine in the SC or wait for the better FC wine on board? should I plan to get to the airport early? do I need to wait on OLCI until a few hours before flight time, plan to then have access to both computer and printer, and will this help? do I need to leave the SC early to go to the gate to double-check that I'm really on the list or to hopefully get my new boarding pass early enough to pre-board? should I plan to check my luggage so that I can wait and board last if needed?

The last issue--to check the bag or not--is something that potentially costs DL money. There's also some labor cost/loss of service when gate agents have to deal with a big mob of people hoping for upgrades.

An obvious advantage to having the upgrade before check-in is that one can pick a seat rather than taking whatever seat assignment is on the boarding pass handed out at the gate. When people traveling together can do this, it helps sometimes to avoid the inconvenience of asking others to swap seats on board. From my point of view, this means that I am less likely to find an seat grabber who decided to swap before asking and the resulting hassle of insisting that I get my preferred/assigned seat or one that's equivalent.

edscholl Jan 14, 2010 10:51 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 13180250)
Of course a BF upgrade is better than nothing, but I appreciate knowing in advance, not only so that I can stop worrying whether it will go through or not, but also for my planning: should I buy food before boarding begins? should I have a glass of wine in the SC or wait for the better FC wine on board? should I plan to get to the airport early? do I need to wait on OLCI until a few hours before flight time, plan to then have access to both computer and printer, and will this help? do I need to leave the SC early to go to the gate to double-check that I'm really on the list or to hopefully get my new boarding pass early enough to pre-board? should I plan to check my luggage so that I can wait and board last if needed?

wow, you worry about a lot! :eek: if i'm hungry, i buy food, regardless of upgrade (i'm not holding out for airplane food!), i drink when i want to drink, and the time i arrive at the airport definately doesn't depend on class of service, as security is the main driver there. olci is also irrelevant, and you don't need to leave the sc to double check if you're on the list (ask the sc agent). as a medallion, you get to preboard anyways, and why would you change your baggage checking patterns?

The last issue--to check the bag or not--is something that potentially costs DL money.
how so?

An obvious advantage to having the upgrade before check-in is that one can pick a seat rather than taking whatever seat assignment is on the boarding pass handed out at the gate. When people traveling together can do this, it helps sometimes to avoid the inconvenience of asking others to swap seats on board. From my point of view, this means that I am less likely to find an seat grabber who decided to swap before asking and the resulting hassle of insisting that I get my preferred/assigned seat or one that's equivalent.
that i can see, along w/ irrops. but i'm still not sure about having to "endure" a battlefield upgrade. :rolleyes: