Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Only passenger on a NWA RJ flight this weekend.

Old Jan 12, 2010, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Kind of an odd set of circumstances with weather delays this weekend, but because of the shifting around of passengers to other flights, delays, etc. I found myself being the sole passenger on a RJ flight into Memphis this weekend.

Very odd feeling being the only passenger on the plane (first time that's every happened to me). The funny thing was the FA having to go through all the safety spiels and landing announcements. She apologized upfront about having to go all through it, but I understood.

Kind of felt like a VIP, even if it was only a CRJ-200
Old Jan 12, 2010, 6:22 am

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Wow, kudos to them for not cancelling. Was this out of MCO or TLH? Shocked that any DL plane out of MCO is empty.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by judolphin
Wow, kudos to them for not cancelling. Was this out of MCO or TLH? Shocked that any DL plane out of MCO is empty.
Was out of Baton Rouge to MEM. I don't think there are any RJ flights in/out of MCO on NWA/Delta these days since they closed the lower concourse area (AKA "the pit).

Think the flight flew anyway as they need to reposition that jet. The flight crew was waiting awhile with me too....
Old Jan 12, 2010, 6:54 am

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Nice. It is a very strange feeling but kind of cool. I've had it happen twice:

ROA-DTW on a SF3 on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend 2008. The best part was that I had to sit back in Row 8 due to weight and balance.

DTW-PLN on SF3 on a Friday night in November 2008, 3 people on the flight

MSP-DTW on a CR9 on Sunday night in March 2009 (the flight that left MSP at 10:30pm) 4 people, I was the only one in F.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 7:09 am

Programs: AA - PP
How was the service? Did they have enough time to get to everybody?
Old Jan 12, 2010, 7:22 am

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
"Due to the short length of today's flight, we are unable to offer beverage service in the main cabin"
Old Jan 12, 2010, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xanthuos
"Due to the short length of today's flight, we are unable to offer beverage service in the main cabin"
The FA offered the usual snacks, but no coffee (no water on board - probably because of the plane sitting out below freezing all night/morning). Which was fine.

Actually sat in row 9 after having time to contrast and compare since I normally don't get the opportunity (yes I'm a nerd). As I suspected, row 8's seats are just too hard/flat and the leg room difference is unnoticeable from the regular rows. So took the regular seat cushion in 9 (since the back of the plane was marginally warmer than the front where the door was opened while on the ground.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by judolphin
The flight can't be cancelled because, while the inbound flight might only have 1 passenger, the airline needs the plane for the return which likely has more than 1 passenger.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: PC Plat. Ambassador, DL PM
I had this happen on Austrian from Prague to Vienna in 2005. It was the last flight of the night and I assume they had to reposition for the morning.

There were a ton of people in the gate area so I waited to let the "rush" go first after about 5 min and no one had boarded, I decided to be the trendsetter. As soon as I walked through the door, they closed it behind me. I had two FAs and they did all the usual routine.

Best part: Pilots invited me up to the cockpit to watch our approach over Vienna.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by seminole_kev
Kind of felt like a VIP, even if it was only a CRJ-200
Let me guess.....they had to leave your bag behind due to weight and balance issues...
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:50 am

Programs: DL GM/SC/SkyBonus, UA (xCO), AS, AA, US, FL, Hilton Gold, Best Western Gold, Choice, Wyndham
I was the only pax on a SLC-SUN flight last year on an EMB-120 Brasilia. A different flying experience.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: DL MM & FO, HH Diamond
[QUOTE=seminole_kev;13164611]The FA offered the usual snacks, but no coffee (no water on board - probably because of the plane sitting out below freezing all night/morning). Which was fine.

No freebies from the bar? My daughter and her husband took a very delayed VPS-ATL flight (where they were to sleep in ATL for a morning flight onward) and were the only pax on board. The FA pointed them in the direction of the minis and said to help themselves. Made sleeping on the concourse a little easier
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:25 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Never a single.

One of 6 on a Saab. Everyone behind row 8, for balance. The pilot probably had to adjust trim if anyone used the (front) lav.

One of 11 on a 767, departing Miami the Fri before SuperBowl. More crew then pax. That's one big plan to have only 11 pax on it.

I'm waiting for someone to start "smallest commercial airport" thread. My vote is COU. If you've been there, you know. Makes AVL look like ORD.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by sbagdon
I'm waiting for someone to start "smallest commercial airport" thread. My vote is COU. If you've been there, you know. Makes AVL look like ORD.
Smallest I've flown into was HVN (New Haven, CT) on US. One gate (really it was just a door), no jetway.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:53 am

Location: Minneapolis, MN - At least that's where I receive mail...
Programs: DL (DM), AA (EP), SPG (Ambassador), HHonors (Gold)
Originally Posted by sbagdon
Fort Dodge, Iowa?

http://www.fortdodgeiowa.org/departm...n.asp?fDD=5-23

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.