Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

When does the NW U vs DL Z inventory confusion end?

Old Jan 10, 10, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz

This morning I tried to purchase OKC-EDI for 5/31 outbound and 6/7 return. I knew that last year's M fare of $2.4 would hit $2.7 but did not know the only route with Z availability (ATL-AMS)would come in over $3.1.

The itineraries on the DL web that show $2.7 do not get a Z reading by EF but do show (NW) U9 (DTW/MSP-AMS). DL says I must look only for Z but this whole confusion over DL Z or NW U is part of what has almost destroyed my April trip to ICN.

The DL agent said I could not purchase this trip via NW and take advantage of the U inventory. Are there no options here? If that is the case (in terms of inventory and price) then I will not be able to fly DL to EDI (June), or ARN (Aug) and will probably also lose IST (Sept).
Old Jan 10, 10, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott LT Titanium
To answer your thread title question: as soon as DL takes over all reservations and the NW reservation system goes away. That integration has already started. I believe it has a January or February completion date. At that time all flights will be DL-coded, the NW-coded flights go away and inventory management is all done based on the DL-codes.

-RM
Old Jan 10, 10, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

I finally called the NW international number and got a decent schedule for $2.7. After looking at the NW web, I called back about better connections using DTW or MSP -earlier than the one I am holding for 24 hours - and was told no U availability. I don't know what to make of this because I called NW only after seeing EF report something like U9 on most of the flights in question.

I was intrigued about trying OKC-DTW-LHR-EDI with the 767 lie flats but uncomfortable with 46 minutes to connect in DTW then 3.5 hr at LHR.

Last edited by Xeno; Jan 10, 10 at 3:07 pm
Old Jan 10, 10, 5:46 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
I finally called the NW international number and got a decent schedule for $2.7. After looking at the NW web, I called back about better connections using DTW or MSP -earlier than the one I am holding for 24 hours - and was told no U availability. I don't know what to make of this because I called NW only after seeing EF report something like U9 on most of the flights in question.

I don't think they put 9 "U" seats into the upgradeable fares, rather far fewer upgradeable Ms and Bs (which require U inventory), Y on NW goes into Z. Perhaps there is a hybrid on EF now where they are showing DL Us on the NW flights.
Old Jan 11, 10, 6:52 am
Original Poster

I just finished a month of driving and cannot call up normal FT-speak this morning. So when EF continues to show U9 on most flights of interest is this another EF failure or a phase in the NW/DL integration?

Edited to ask why NW immediately took 50K miles for this trip. DL has done this on day of departure or when the ticket was reissued but certainly not even before the 24 hours of purchase were over. I hope I can get the miles back if I have PMUs available to use.

Last edited by Xeno; Jan 11, 10 at 10:24 am
Old Jan 11, 10, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Until the full res cutover, just remember the following: if you're booked on a DL flight number (no matter who is operating the flight), you need "Z" inventory on the DL flight number to upgrade using PMUs or miles. EF only shows "Z" inventory for pre-merger DL flights; if you want to find upgrade inventory for that DL codeshares operated by NW metal for example, you need to check for "U" inventory on the NW flight number in EF. But no matter what, you need to be booked in "Z" on the DL flight number (e.g., AMS-EWR is NW791 but codeshared by DL as DL6252; you need "Z" on DL6252; the Delta agent will be able to see "Z" availabilty on DL6252).
Old Jan 11, 10, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

I purchased this with a NW agent on the phone. The DL web does not show the itinerary but only the 50K miles deducted. The NW web shows "BusinessElite (U)" for MSP-AMS and AMS-DTW then "FirstClass R" for DTW-OKC (and my first time on a 900).

This confused me from the start because the DL agent could not get me the route, price and u/g that the NW agent sold me (9 hours left to change). But now you make me wonder if there will be a problem with my ticket once all these flights are turned over to DL.

I consider this concern justified because of another thread I have here about a major complication with my April trip to ICN: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...t-icn-nrt.html

Last edited by Xeno; Jan 11, 10 at 1:49 pm
Old Jan 11, 10, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Lifetime Plat/Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PresCircle
Xeno, you will not be able to change to use PMUs. I had the exact same experience last fall going to SYD & SIN. I booked on NWA.com because the upgrade inventory was available and NWA.com makes it so easy to just book it and use the miles to upgrade. Once I called Delta to try to switch it to use my PMUs, it became a fiasco. Bascially, after the agent checking with her supervisor (on a 45+ minute call) was told that they would have to cancel my res, and rebook on DL and hope that Z inventory was still available. So, to this I said "no thanks" and kept it as is. Called back a week or so later, same story. Tried to switch to PMUs at the airport, and after the agent called supervisor, same story. So, was stuck with my unused PMUs and mileage deducted. On a related not, the return leg from LAX-SLC wasn't already upgraded and ended up sitting in Coach, even though V inventory was available because Delta was convinced that when I upgraded with miles on NWA.com, it was like "paying with miles" and therefore, not eligible for an upgrade. What a mess.
Old Jan 12, 10, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I agree it is a huge disaster right now. Delta agents are insisting that Z inventory must be available, even though its a NW flight that pulls from U. Great example are those NRT-ICN and other international NW legs like MSP-NRT. EF was showing U4 on the ICN-NRT leg but delta agent kept saying its not available because they're looking at Z.
Old Jan 12, 10, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rylan View Post
I agree it is a huge disaster right now. Delta agents are insisting that Z inventory must be available, even though its a NW flight that pulls from U. Great example are those NRT-ICN and other international NW legs like MSP-NRT. EF was showing U4 on the ICN-NRT leg but delta agent kept saying its not available because they're looking at Z.
You know from my other thread (see #7) that I am having the same problem with NRT-ICN-NRT. My frustration is compounded by the fact that it was not this complicated with my ticket to HKG that I completed late November and early December.

Before my 24 hour deadline last night, I called NW again but still no U inventory like EF reports for DTW and an early MSP connection. She told me about DFW but the fare was over $4K and DL Z was available on a $3.1K ticket via ATL.

The account by travelry makes my angst more acute.

Last edited by Xeno; Jan 12, 10 at 9:16 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: