Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore - DL(NW) or SQ in coach?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2010, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Singapore - DL(NW) or SQ in coach?

I am traveling to Singapore in March with my family. Trying to determine if the DL/NW coach product with the associated MQM for the trip is better than booking with Singapore Airlines with no MQM. Typically fly 50-60k MQM per year with DL and will likely make GM in 2010 irrespective of the SIN trip. I have never flown SQ but understand they provide an excellent product, even in coach. Also, have never flown NW equipment to the Pacific Rim.
Fares on both carriers in coach are the same and with the family there is no chance of an upgrade on DL/NW.

Any insight concerning concerning the SQ vs. NW comfort and service levels in coach for an 18 plus hour trip is much appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Boodles
I am traveling to Singapore in March with my family. Trying to determine if the DL/NW coach product with the associated MQM for the trip is better than booking with Singapore Airlines with no MQM. Typically fly 50-60k MQM per year with DL and will likely make GM in 2010 irrespective of the SIN trip. I have never flown SQ but understand they provide an excellent product, even in coach. Also, have never flown NW equipment to the Pacific Rim.
Fares on both carriers in coach are the same and with the family there is no chance of an upgrade on DL/NW.

Any insight concerning concerning the SQ vs. NW comfort and service levels in coach for an 18 plus hour trip is much appreciated.

Thank you.
This is just my opinion but if you do not need the MQM's give SQ a try. The Y service is outstanding compared to DL (IMHO only) and particularly if you are on a DL 747 on the long haul. I find the 747 in Y pretty tough....the A330 is a nice ride but in general I LOVE the service with SQ.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Boodles
A Singaporean friend told me that she flies DL/NW only when they are cheaper and that given a choice she'll flying SQ even though she claims that they give better service to NON-Singaporeans than their own nationals...she still prefers the hard product on SQ over the AVOD-less DL/NW 747
Old Jan 8, 2010, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
If you're on a route where they fly A330, I think you're fine with NW. If you're on a 747 without AVOD, it's going to suck. Personally, I would go on NW and route through a city that will have an A330 (e.g. SFO).
Old Jan 8, 2010, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
I cant speak for Singapore air but you can get to SIN and avoid non avod equiptment. I assume you are leaving out of SLC? Take a flight to SEA, then you will be on a A332 with a personal TV the rest of the way to SIN, via NRT.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
Of course it depends on your preference, but I would definitely go via SFO and not SEA. SLC-SFO is a short hop and leaves more time for SFO-NRT, in which you can sleep (if you're the sleeping type). SLC-SEA will mean an hour less on the TPAC flight, which means less sleep. SFO-NRT is also an A332. Avoid PDX as that's currently a 767-300, which unlike the -400, still has overhead screens in Y.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by ifette
Of course it depends on your preference, but I would definitely go via SFO and not SEA. SLC-SFO is a short hop and leaves more time for SFO-NRT, in which you can sleep (if you're the sleeping type). SLC-SEA will mean an hour less on the TPAC flight, which means less sleep. SFO-NRT is also an A332. Avoid PDX as that's currently a 767-300, which unlike the -400, still has overhead screens in Y.
"sleeping type" and Y do not necessarily go in the same sentence. It has been quite a while since I have been in anything but a lie-flat, thankfully, but I remember plenty of time in an upright sitting position "sleeping" for a max of 1/2 hour at a time. I just can't do it anymore.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NRT-SIN is currently an A330, not a 744. So you will have AVOD all the way.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:58 pm

Programs: NW Plat, DL
You have to ask yourself if you want to be served by young ladies who genuinely enjoy serving you or a bunch of grumpy old women who want you to understand that you should be grateful that they will bring you water.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:20 am

Programs: Delta KM, United 1K, SPG plat
Originally Posted by Minotbob
You have to ask yourself if you want to be served by young ladies who genuinely enjoy serving you or a bunch of grumpy old women who want you to understand that you should be grateful that they will bring you water.
DING DING DING DING! And there it is!

As others have said, as far as actual comfort, just avoid the 747 and 767 routes (PDX and MSP come to mind) and you'll get about the same on NW as on SQ. But the huge difference is service.

The grumpy old women (who hate their jobs and hate people) that you find on trans-pac NW/DL/UA flights make a very uncomfortable 6-8 hours even worse.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 2:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
I'd go for the MQMs, assuming I could get on an AVOD plane the whole way. Is the service and food on SQ better? Yes. But I don't think it better enough to justify giving up a shot at PM - you say that you will make GM, regardless, so I would think the extra 18k MQMs from this trip would potentially push you over PM (or give you a ton of rollover).

Now, if the SQ fare is an EQM-earning fare on either UA or CO (not all are), then you might consider pushing the miles to one of them, assuming you could top it up and eclipse 25k. Access to Y+ on UA and checked bag fee waivers is a nice thing to have in the back-pocket.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 4:21 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
I cant speak for Singapore air but you can get to SIN and avoid non avod equiptment. I assume you are leaving out of SLC? Take a flight to SEA, then you will be on a A332 with a personal TV the rest of the way to SIN, via NRT.
Not that it matters much, but the NW/DL SEA-NRT is operated by A333 equipment;332s operate to/from SFO. In my experience, the SEA flights are more full whereas the SFO flights don't fill up as often. If you choose NW, I agree with others to avoid the 747's (DTW, MSP, and LAX <-> NRT) and the 767-300's (PDX <-> NRT) in coach.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The 330s are great, but I would also consider the schedules. On NW, SLC-NRT-SIN leaves in the morning (how early?) and arrives into SIN at about 1 am, leaving for the return trip at 6 am. Depending on the routing, SLC-LAX-SIN vs another connection through NRT, SQ arrives and departs SIN at more civilized times and at a nicer terminal, although it's all connected inside of passport control. Consider also that on SQ, you must change terminals at LAX, which I consider much more of a hassle than doing NW domestic/international at SFO or even SEA.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette
I'd go for the MQMs, assuming I could get on an AVOD plane the whole way. Is the service and food on SQ better? Yes. But I don't think it better enough to justify giving up a shot at PM - you say that you will make GM, regardless, so I would think the extra 18k MQMs from this trip would potentially push you over PM (or give you a ton of rollover).

Now, if the SQ fare is an EQM-earning fare on either UA or CO (not all are), then you might consider pushing the miles to one of them, assuming you could top it up and eclipse 25k. Access to Y+ on UA and checked bag fee waivers is a nice thing to have in the back-pocket.
As a GM, you can pick an exit row seat with NW/DL. I can choose this even when traveling with my non status mate. Not too sure if you can on SQ, so while the service may be better on SQ, you may have more space on NW/DL if that is important to you.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette
I'd agree with this but the OP says he is traveling with family...for me I'd feel guilty subjecting them to a bad flight (no AVOD, bad FA, etc) just so I could get some more MQMs...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.