Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Guy behind me having a boxing Match with PTV

Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Is it me, or is the touchscreen PTV an invitation to annoy the crap out of the guy in front of you. I am in F on a domestic 757 and exhausted after an international connection, yet all my attempts to get a few winks are thwarted by the guy behind me, seemingly sparring with his touchscreen television!

No amount of evil eyes will get this guy to stop as he is banging on the screen like he is pushing buttons on his xbox, each tap reverberating through my brain, inches away.

Is it me, him, or are these things an inherent disaster for passenger comfort?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: DL Plat, CO Gold, Avis First, HH Silver
Originally Posted by JSteele
It's you. There's nothing inherent about the system other than plastic and electronics. It's the people who can make it good or bad. Get a mechanic sitting behind you, you'll probably suffer. Get a concert violinist and you'll never know they're there.

Sounds like a classic PEBKAC problem. (Or in this case, PEBSAS?)
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I've experienced this and it's one of the reasons that I don't mind when there is no IFE on my flights. Touchscreen seatback IFE was a bad idea. Hopefully DL's retrofits of NW planes will take a clue from NW's A330s and use the little arm-rest remotes instead.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GBadger
I've experienced this and it's one of the reasons that I don't mind when there is no IFE on my flights. Touchscreen seatback IFE was a bad idea. Hopefully DL's retrofits of NW planes will take a clue from NW's A330s and use the little arm-rest remotes instead.
+1000

IFE with handset = good
IFE with touchscreen = bad
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:30 am

Programs: DL PM
No amount of evil eyes will get this guy to stop as he is banging on the screen like he is pushing buttons on his xbox, each tap reverberating through my brain, inches away.
I was on a flight from JFK-SLC last year and was really quite impressed that one of the FAs mentioned throughout the flight (over the PA) that the PVTs only require a "light touch" to operate.

I wish more FAs did that...
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: SkyMiles PM, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
I agree with everyone on the flaws of back-of-seat touch screens. Occasionally I get a screen that isn't very sensitive and have to press more forcefully that I otherwise would. The number of such screens could increase as the systems age.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by jacobio
I was on a flight from JFK-SLC last year and was really quite impressed that one of the FAs mentioned throughout the flight (over the PA) that the PVTs only require a "light touch" to operate.

I wish more FAs did that...
+1
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:49 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM
yyyyyyyoooooooouuuuuuuuu mmmmmmeaaaaaaaaaaaannnnn ttttthhhhhhheeeeessseeeeeeeeeeee ttttooouucccccccccchhhhhhhh ssssssssssscrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeen nnnnnnnnssss??????
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:54 am

Is it me, or is the touchscreen PTV an invitation to annoy the crap out of the guy in front of you. I am in F on a domestic 757 and exhausted after an international connection, yet all my attempts to get a few winks are thwarted by the guy behind me, seemingly sparring with his touchscreen television!

Instead of giving him evil eyes and saying incantations, you should have just told him you were trying to sleep and the tapping was bothering you. Then you could instruct him on the proper technique: light tap with your fingernail, not hard jab with your fist.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:02 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Plat Prem, SPG Plat, Hertz Pres Circ, AmEx Plat
It would be funny if a post came up saying how the touch screens don't work no matter how much you bang on it
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by DaDaDan
Instead of giving him evil eyes and saying incantations, you should have just told him you were trying to sleep and the tapping was bothering you. Then you could instruct him on the proper technique: light tap with your fingernail, not hard jab with your fist.
And made a new friend to boot!

Yep, the proper technique is not as if you are pushing a button; it's as if you're flicking something off your fingernail.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:31 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/DM, *wood Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by tgtg
yyyyyyyoooooooouuuuuuuuu mmmmmmeaaaaaaaaaaaannnnn ttttthhhhhhheeeeessseeeeeeeeeeee ttttooouucccccccccchhhhhhhh ssssssssssscrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeen nnnnnnnnssss??????
LLLOOOLL!
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: DL PM, CO Silver
This has happened to me multiple times. I simply ask them to press lighter, since it is shaking my seat - solved the problem every time. I don't think anyone is intentionally doing it.

However, I didn't know what to do when I was in F and the guy beside me on the bulkhead went barefoot. THEN PROCEEDED TO OPERATE THE AVOD WITH HIS BARE FEET!!!
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:55 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by booper
THEN PROCEEDED TO OPERATE THE AVOD WITH HIS BARE FEET!!!
That's disgusting! I have no idea how I would have reacted if I was you, but I probably would have said something... Yuck!
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, CO Silver
Originally Posted by jacobio
That's disgusting! I have no idea how I would have reacted if I was you, but I probably would have said something... Yuck!
I asked the FA's if they could say something to him. They said they would keep an eye out, but never did say anything to him.

One of them did say they had some cleaner that they would pull out and wash the screen off after landing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.