FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   dehubbing speculation starting in 2010 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1034004-dehubbing-speculation-starting-2010-a.html)

TWAB747nomore Dec 31, 2009 4:23 pm

dehubbing speculation starting in 2010

Since DL and NWA will be operating under a single operating certificate starting Jan 1. They are a great many hubs in the new Delta system. Which ones if any do you think will be closed

Atlanta
Minneapolis Saint Paul
Memphis
Salt Lake
CVG
New York JFK
Detroit
and i think Toyko is considered a hub under the northwest system
as well as Amsterdam

That would be 9 potential hubs. I highly doubt all of them will continue to operate as hubs. I think cvg will be closed as a hub MEM will grow. Dtw will be more of a third tier hub and msp will remain as a hub, but hey thats just what i am thinking will happen. Sorry i forget the Atlanta megahub will be as crazy as ever and SLC will stay about the same

AndyTLe Dec 31, 2009 4:28 pm

CVG is already being dehubbed and will continue in 2010. MEM will probably see reductions as well.

TWAB747nomore Dec 31, 2009 4:32 pm

I have heard that MEM will be retained as hub and possible grow

bkmn Dec 31, 2009 4:34 pm

Atlanta - no big changes,
MSP - continue as a domestic hub, less international flights
MEM - smaller domestic/caribbean/mexico hub - "reliever" for ATL
SLC - no big changes
JFK/LGA - increased hub status; increase access to EU
CVG - my vote for most likely to be downgraded to focus city
DTW - primary int'l access point to asian sites, continue as a domestic hub

International:
NRT - if JAL joins, increased traffic
AMS - no major change
CDG - no major change

motytrah Dec 31, 2009 4:47 pm

DL has a contractual obligation with MSP. While they could downsize some of the metal, they have to retain the total number of flights.

CVG is going to take a big hit. NRT depends on JL. MEM is wait and see.

StayingHomeIsBetter Dec 31, 2009 4:48 pm

Dehub ATL?

From your lips to God's ears...

LIT flyer Dec 31, 2009 4:51 pm

MEM fits in better than CVG since they receive less ice and snow and they have added some more Texas flights there to make up for the loss of CO to star alliance.

bwhite Dec 31, 2009 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter (Post 13088873)
Dehub ATL?

From your lips to God's ears...

Each to their own but ATL is a very easy hub to transit through, much more so that DTW or MSP. But no fears StayingHomeIsBetter, ATL will not be dehubbed for a very, very long time.
SLC - remains Western hub, INTL unclear
DTW, MSP - status quo until enough time passes for pre-merger promises to be forgiven/forgotten, then at least one will be reduced
JFK - continue as INTL GW - traffic will vary with global commerce.
CVG - bye
MEM - short term okay, 5 year plan - does STL look familiar?
CDG - one could only hope a reduction is planned, but to where?
AMS - depends on ST relationship changes and global commerce
NRT - crystal ball is cloudy, also depends on global commerce trends

manneca Dec 31, 2009 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by bwhite (Post 13089070)
Each to their own but ATL is a very easy hub to transit through, much more so that DTW or MSP. But no fears StayingHomeIsBetter, ATL will not be dehubbed for a very, very long time.
DTW, MSP - status quo until enough time passes for pre-merger promises to be forgiven/forgotten, then at least one will be reduced
CVG - bye

I guess to each his/her own, but DTW is so much easier and nicer than ATL. MSP is nicer but the layout is a bit strange. ATL is crowded, dirty and noisy (and I'm not even talking about the SkyClubs or whatever they call them now which are totally awful.) The DTW lounges are nice, light, airy.

RobOnLI Dec 31, 2009 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by bkmn (Post 13088823)
Atlanta - no big changes,
MSP - continue as a domestic hub, less international flights
MEM - smaller domestic/caribbean/mexico hub - "reliever" for ATL
SLC - no big changes
JFK/LGA - increased hub status; increase access to EU
CVG - my vote for most likely to be downgraded to focus city
DTW - primary int'l access point to asian sites, continue as a domestic hub

International:
NRT - if JAL joins, increased traffic
AMS - no major change
CDG - no major change

I agree w/ the OP on this except MSP & DTW. I think over the longer term MSP will see more Asia flights and DTW will start to lose them. It makes more sense for almost all connection cities within the US. Asia flights will be based out of the West Coast, MSP and ATL with just a few remaining out of DTW.

-RM

ecspike Dec 31, 2009 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by bwhite (Post 13089070)
CVG - bye

I agree that ATL is easy to transit through. Between DTW and MSP, I think DTW is the more likely to be reduced in the future if Michigan's economy doesn't come back.

xliioper Dec 31, 2009 6:14 pm

Delta has announced new flights from DTW to Hong Kong and Seoul starting in 2010. Why would they announce these flights and where will they get their feed if they start pulling down DTW??

bwhite Dec 31, 2009 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by manneca (Post 13089150)
I guess to each his/her own, but DTW is so much easier and nicer than ATL. MSP is nicer but the layout is a bit strange. ATL is crowded, dirty and noisy (and I'm not even talking about the SkyClubs or whatever they call them now which are totally awful.) The DTW lounges are nice, light, airy.

DTW is nicer than ATL there is little doubt, but not easy to get from the end of one terminal to the end of the other. ATL is much more convenient by this metric. MSP - also difficult to navigate and don't care for it, but to each their own.

Personally I want a hub to be easy to get from gate A to gate B regardless of where they are physically located, both DTW and MSP fail in this regard, IMHO.

lucycan Dec 31, 2009 6:23 pm

Have you been to CVG lately? Im not sure what Delta has there could even be called a hub. Its embarrassing.

bwhite Dec 31, 2009 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by lucycan (Post 13089274)
Have you been to CVG lately? Im not sure what Delta has there could even be called a hub. Its embarrassing.

Where you there 6 months prior to the merger? It was quite busy. It was clearly the first merger hub casualty.