Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seattle SEA Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Seattle SEA Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Old Aug 7, 2010, 10:34 pm

From what I've gathered while in various SCs, refills are always supposed to be at the bartender's discretion. Granted, that widely varies across the network as each employee will react differently to various situations.

Are you sure that she wasn't saying it in a joking manner? What is the other couple at the bar drinking?
Old Aug 7, 2010, 10:46 pm

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
Given that none of us are in the SkyClub right now (presumably) and so we have no way of knowing if you're drunk off your arse as you type this, or if you're relatively sober-looking, it's really hard to judge. Depending on how she's preparing the drinks (amount of vodka/drink) I could see 3 in an hour being a good indication that if that rate is going to persist for the next 4 hours, she could have a problem in her hands, so she's letting you know she won't pour at that rate for 4 hours.

I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like you've been removed from your flight for being drunk - that's probably what she was trying to avoid. Relax, enjoy the next few hours, watch some CNN, and move on.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
I've never been cutoff at a SC but I guess it is always up to the server's discretion.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 11:57 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
I've never been cutoff at a SC but I guess it is always up to the server's discretion.
+1 When my arm was in a sling after surgery I had one bartender bring me drinks, without my asking, whenever my glass was nearly empty.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 1:24 am

Programs: DL Platinum
Just how strong is she mixing these bloody mary's that you are so hammered after 3 that you cannot keep drinking? Also, did you say Salt Lake City? Oh wait....Seattle.

Reminds me of one my best experiences in the air...after 4 glasses of wine, and about 10 shots of scotch on Korean Air business class, the beautiful young Korean flight attendant said, "Are you OK, sir?" I said, "And a glass of water, please."

Point is, be sure to ask for a glass of water, and change to a lower sodium drink.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 1:53 am

Programs: Delta FO
If it's the same bartender that was there when I went through, you're right, she's never there!
Old Aug 8, 2010, 3:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
...well be glad its not the AS BR where there is a cap on 3 beverages per visit/day.

Which brings up the question... if the BR was still open, did you consider taking the train to the D gates and visiting that location?

This is the same SC location that suggested making my double Baily's & Coffee into a triple
Old Aug 8, 2010, 6:04 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by grandeflipper
In the hour that I have been sitting here, I have walked up to the bar and ordered (3) Bloody Mary's. While "Debbie M," the bartender who is almost never behind the bar finally makes it back there, I go to order my third drink and she tells me "after this one, we have to SLOW IT DOWN FOR AWHILE."
were you tipping after receiving each drink?
Old Aug 8, 2010, 6:45 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
+1

As it is at any bar anywhere.

Bob H
Old Aug 8, 2010, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by BobH
+1

As it is at any bar anywhere.

Bob H
Except for the self-serve SC's (they will all be at some point) where you must cut yourself off (after tipping yourself of course)
Old Aug 8, 2010, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Except for the self-serve SC's (they will all be at some point) where you must cut yourself off (after tipping yourself of course)
Not all of them will be self-serve...Atlanta and Raleigh will have to continue to have barstaff due to state liquor laws prohibiting self-serve booze.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by mersk862
Not all of them will be self-serve...Atlanta and Raleigh will have to continue to have barstaff due to state liquor laws prohibiting self-serve booze.
Add Nashville to that list.... It was self serve 20 years ago when I lived there, but the state found out and made them stop that!

(And I personally don't like the self serve. Sorry but some of you are making quite a mess making your own drinks Then the poor "staff" had to try to muscle his way in to clean. Just very disorganized and messy IMHO)
Old Aug 8, 2010, 7:48 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
If i recall correctly, the bar staff there is actually the regular SC desk staff, meaning that they do not (usually) accept tips...., I usually find these setups to be more hit or miss on bar service. Either they are over eager, or way overly conservative....
Old Aug 8, 2010, 7:50 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
So you were not "cut-off", you were told that they'd have to "slow it down"? Not a big deal. Order less frequently. A good rule of thumb is one drink per hour. Maybe two. But at the rate of three drinks per hour, you'd be legally drunk in not very much longer than "a little more than an hour". Assuming you're male, and assuming the statistical average weight of 190 lbs. (I have to assume because we don't know you), you would have had a BAC somewhere between .06-.07, not too far from being legally drunk at .08. If you weigh less, or are a woman, your BAC would be considerably higher.

And it's always the bartender's discretion. If you "want to fly today" you should heed their advice. Sadly, I've seen people who haven't, and they remained at the terminal while we departed.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by TheMoose
So you were not "cut-off", you were told that they'd have to "slow it down"? Not a big deal. Order less frequently. A good rule of thumb is one drink per hour. Maybe two. But at the rate of three drinks per hour, you'd be legally drunk in not very much longer than "a little more than an hour". Assuming you're male, and assuming the statistical average weight of 190 lbs. (I have to assume because we don't know you), you would have had a BAC somewhere between .06-.07, not too far from being legally drunk at .08. If you weigh less, or are a woman, your BAC would be considerably higher.

And it's always the bartender's discretion. If you "want to fly today" you should heed their advice. Sadly, I've seen people who haven't, and they remained at the terminal while we departed.
Legally drunk to operate a motor vehicle, perhaps, but fortunately, the OP wasn't preparing to *fly the plane*.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.