Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seattle SEA Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seattle SEA Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by kop84
Totally Agree, I'd rather have one big very nice club instead of 2-3 small mediocre clubs. (I know SEA has 2) But it was a great idea to build a new impressive flagship club instead of 2 new smaller clubs.

DL only budget's X dollars for SkyClubs. Would you rather have all of the X put into one club, and nice amenities, food, seating, staffing, etc. Or have the same square footage in two new clubs that are just blah.

It's like if you have a $100 budget to take your spouse to dinner. Do you want to go to the nice Italian restaurant that makes everything from scratch, get a nice bottle of wine, some appetizers and desert. OR would you rather go to Applebee's 2-3 times? Nothing wrong with Applebee's, but I know my spouse is going to be considerably happier with the one splurge instead of 2-3 meals that basically just get the job done.
But others such as myself may disagree. I might prefer 2-3 visits at Applebees or TGIFridays or Chilis. So, each may have their own opinion.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by DL-Don
Live with mobility issues in an airport like Seattle and see how long your pompous "It's fine for me" attitude remains.
I think the club placement simply went down to how they can serve the most of their customer most efficiently. There isn't a way to make everyone happy.

You caught a perfect storm of reasons you couldn't get into the club. But that would seem to have more to do with a relatively short layover, landing at a far gate, and maintenance on the moving walkway (totally out of DL's control)

Not being able to cover 100% of passengers on a one off when everything was working against you is a poor reason to knock one of the nicest clubs in the system
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Only wheel chairs, I asked. If they had electric carts, going up and down the concourse like ATL, I would have flagged one down.
Bummer. I am nearly certain I've seen the carts operating in A, so I'm surprised the gate agent wasn't able to page one for you. But as I am fortunate enough to not have mobility issues myself, I'm not familiar with the process here; perhaps someone else can chime in on how they work in SEA so you can get one on a future layover... They do seem to be on demand rather than roaming like in some airports?

Today is the day they picked to perform maintenance on the moving sidewalks heading toward the A12 end of the concourse.
That explains part of the frustration for sure. This is definitely a problem in Seattle; there are chronic escalator and moving walkway maintenance issues for some reason, even after they replaced them all a few years back. All the more reason the mobility carts should have been available Insert your own joke about the Port Of Seattle's initials here...
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Live with mobility issues in an airport like Seattle and see how long your pompous "It's fine for me" attitude remains.
You know, there's a UA club and an airport operated club at A11 (The Club at SEA). You could have gotten what you wanted closer to your gate - as you put it: " comfortable chair, power, wifi and some drinks and snacks". Those are all available at the UA Club and The Club at SEA.

As was mentioned before hand, SEA only used to have the SkyClub at S, which would have been just as inconvenient, if not more inconvenient, to get to and from from A12. And where you want them to have put the club would have made it more difficult for those with mobility issues departing or connecting in B to get to and from. @:-) DL's A SkyClub is close to both security checkpoints those of us originating at SEA would primarily use (the one around A2/3 and the one at the central atrium/food court) and at a good cross-roads for those connecting within A, within B, and between A and B. DL chose a set-up that was best for the largest number of passengers, both connecting and originating at SEA. You're the one demonstrating the "it's all about me" attitude as your attitude is one of complaining that DL didn't have the best set-up for the situation you were in.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:27 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
it seemed like the people responding were trying to be conciliatory and acknowledging the difficulties you had, while still also looking at it from an overall context.

I confess that I don't see why "it's fine for me" is any more or less pompous than "it didn't work for me given my gates today therefore it is stupid and inconvenient."
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Also, FWIW, mid-A was not an option for building a club as I understand it; that space is being used for the international arrivals expansion and accompanying skybridge to S.

The club placement in the corner between A/B was partly made possible by sharing the expansion building with a new restaurant and the Amex Centurion lounge expansion, too; I don't think that it would have been possible at the scope Delta built it at if sited in a different location.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
But others such as myself may disagree. I might prefer 2-3 visits at Applebees or TGIFridays or Chilis. So, each may have their own opinion.
True, but in this case imagine if the great Italian (or French, Sushi, Steakhouse, whatever) Restaurant was the same price as Applebee's or Fridays or Chili's, but it just happened to be slightly farther away from your house.

You know what you're getting going to any of those chains and you should have your expectations set accordingly. The big spenders that DL is trying to attract want a little wow factor.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:44 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I think the club placement simply went down to how they can serve the most of their customer most efficiently. There isn't a way to make everyone happy.
Isn't this essentially the summary of every complaint on FT? "Delta does something differently than I want them to do it, ergo they suck" without even considering that other people might like something different.

I think the only thing everyone agrees on is that 739s are the worst.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:45 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
True, but in this case imagine if the great Italian (or French, Sushi, Steakhouse, whatever) Restaurant was the same price as Applebee's or Fridays or Chili's, but it just happened to be slightly farther away from your house.
I read a tripadvisor review of a restaurant in new orleans where the reviewer gave the place one star because it was too far from her hotel.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
I read a tripadvisor review of a restaurant in new orleans where the reviewer gave the place one star because it was too far from her hotel.
That's second only to the people who complain that they couldn't use the hotel's outdoor pool because it was raining.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 4:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
I haven't read too much upthread, but I will concur with those who say this is the nicest club in the DL system.

That vote for me used to go to the NRT SCs, but the Seattle SC is terrific. Plentiful seating, good food options, showers, nice light. It's huge and gorgeous. I think DL did a great job here.

I will say it can be somewhat inconveniently located if you are departing out of the S gates, but there is that train that goes over. If you have a few extra minutes to take the train, I would stop here instead of the SC at the S gates.

This trumps the Centurion lounge (too crowded), the Club (weak offerings), and Alaska Lounges (crowded + weak offerings). I appreciate that there are plentiful restrooms inside the club as well given apparently we cannot take that for granted.

Overall very pleased with this SC (though I will say I still like the NRT sushi offering!).
Old Mar 16, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I actually like the location of the club. It's also conveniently by the entrance and exit to/from the sterile area of the airport. It's in the best place possible IMO. It's probably my favorite lounge that I've been to.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by bj27
I haven't read too much upthread, but I will concur with those who say this is the nicest club in the DL system.

That vote for me used to go to the NRT SCs, but the Seattle SC is terrific. Plentiful seating, good food options, showers, nice light. It's huge and gorgeous. I think DL did a great job here.
One of the things I appreciate most in the SEA SkyClub is that there are power outlets EVERYWHERE. So many other clubs only have power outlets in the seating by the walls, which are often filled and even if they aren't, are often where the least comfortable seats in the SkyClub as well.

Originally Posted by bj27
I will say it can be somewhat inconveniently located if you are departing out of the S gates, but there is that train that goes over. If you have a few extra minutes to take the train, I would stop here instead of the SC at the S gates.
My thought is if I am departing from the S gates I have to walk there anyway - either right when I arrive or when it's time to board so for the couple of times I've gone out of S since the new club has opened in A, I still go to the new SkyClub, figuring I can either spend the 5 minutes getting there up front or on the tail end. It works out to be roughly the same. I'll often walk out of the SC and go to the end of B and catch the tram there, figuring it gives me a walk and a chance to stretch my legs before boarding my flight.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I actually like the location of the club. It's also conveniently by the entrance and exit to/from the sterile area of the airport. It's in the best place possible IMO. It's probably my favorite lounge that I've been to.
For Delta flights yes (which is what Delta is concerned with). I don't think there is any other logical location this club could have gone, given that Delta uses A gates, B gates, and the S gates. I like that they didn't stick it at the end of one of these concourses given the concourses are sort of like fingers -- you have to go to the base of the finger to get to a different finger.

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
One of the things I appreciate most in the SEA SkyClub is that there are power outlets EVERYWHERE. So many other clubs only have power outlets in the seating by the walls, which are often filled and even if they aren't, are often where the least comfortable seats in the SkyClub as well.

My thought is if I am departing from the S gates I have to walk there anyway - either right when I arrive or when it's time to board so for the couple of times I've gone out of S since the new club has opened in A, I still go to the new SkyClub, figuring I can either spend the 5 minutes getting there up front or on the tail end. It works out to be roughly the same. I'll often walk out of the SC and go to the end of B and catch the tram there, figuring it gives me a walk and a chance to stretch my legs before boarding my flight.
Yes -- I noticed that power outlets abound. Very convenient. I also like the many varied types of seating.

Agree with your statement about going to the new SC in A. This was my thought too. If I have a flight leaving from S I'll just leave the A SC a little earlier than I normally would have to catch the train over to S.

This club alone (probably being at my home airport) has made me think of choosing the DL SC membership for my 2018 Diamond Choice Benefits (assuming I requalify....).

I already have overlapping bennies with the AMEX Plat, but I do appreciate that as a DM/SC member I can still use this club on the off-chance I'm on AS or something.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
I like the location, as I have been connecting through SEA to Asia, and it was convenient for those flights. Great club, although twice recently the line to get it was 8-10 people deep, and they were slow checking people in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.