Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Flight/Security Reports since DTW incident?

DL Flight/Security Reports since DTW incident?

Old Dec 30, 09, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL GM/SC/SkyBonus, UA (xCO), AS, AA, US, FL, Hilton Gold, Best Western Gold, Choice, Wyndham
Originally Posted by bwhite View Post
I though saline/contact solution was exempt, or in that grey area that plagues TSA inconsistencies.
It is... but they didn't notice it during the x-ray scan, as I didn't take the ziplock bag out of my carry-on.
Old Dec 30, 09, 2:47 pm

Programs: Delta Million Miler; NWA Refugee; Hilton Gold
Flew MDW-DTW-DCA last evening. No changes noted anywhere in the system
Old Dec 30, 09, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Originally Posted by Dilemma View Post
It is... but they didn't notice it during the x-ray scan, as I didn't take the ziplock bag out of my carry-on.
In TA/T1 @ RDU I was in a hurry once and forgot to take my ziplock bag out of the outer pocket where I keep it for a fast trip through security. It went through without issue. Next 30 trips I left it there and never had a problem. So much for must go through xray separately. Haven't tried since DL moved to T2 @ RDU though. Now "enjoy" full millimeter wave "strip machine". Apparently 1 of 40 in use.
Old Dec 31, 09, 8:09 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sbagdon View Post
Doesn't appear this is an issue for Italy, it just appears that the UK has the tought single-small-carry-on rule. Not sure that economy-vs-premium is a deciding factor on what you can or can't carry-on.
Ran into this the first time we returned from the UK. Would have appreciated it if the airlines would have sent an "Oh, by the way . . ." email warning us of the restrictions or the TA say something during check-in. Oh well, life goes on.
Old Dec 31, 09, 12:52 pm

Does Delta Effectively 5 Bags Per Passenger From Nigeria?

Does Delta Effectively Security Check 5 Bags Per Passenger From Nigeria?

It should also have been a trigger for someone from Nigeria travelling with no checked bags.

"Most of the customer service issues focus on baggage. The average Nigeria passenger travels with five bags - this was something we had not anticipated," says Bryan.

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/ai...ely-delta.html
Old Dec 31, 09, 5:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Jfk-mad yesterday..nothing different about security or flight except that the t2 security line was a mile long. Medallion line had no one in it thank god.
Old Dec 31, 09, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pitbrian View Post
Jfk-mad yesterday..nothing different about security or flight except that the t2 security line was a mile long. Medallion line had no one in it thank god.
According to the Security Directive that was leaked in the aftermath of 25DEC, no security changes were required on US-Outbound flights, only on US-Inbound flights.
Old Jan 1, 10, 1:44 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Flying out of FCO in +/- 12 hrs and will let you know of any baggage or security issues once airside.

Buona Festa e Buon Anno a tutti!! Happy New Year to all!!
Old Jan 1, 10, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Platinum
PVG-DTW DL 790 in J today: everything was normal.

At PVG, they did search carryons prior to boarding. One bag+ laptop. No problem.
Old Jan 2, 10, 12:03 am

Arr @ FCO to find DL dpts from Terminal 5

Standing in front of initial check-in kiosk for +/- 15 min then told had to leave as we were in a 'secure area'. Backed up 15 feet to leave 'secure area'. Initial check-in started +/- 6:45 which was quick. Baggage check painless where we received our Lounge pass and told boarding starts at 8:15 for a 9:45 departure. Had to wait nearly 20 minutes for security to open and then process was slowed down since there was a question if the contract security personnel had to do a 100 % check or a partial check. Don't know resolution as we continued to baggage check. We did have to turn on the laptop but there was no interest in the CPAP. Will update boarding process when we arr in ATL.

Travel safe!

Arrived in ATL one hour early!

At 8:10 AM we left the shared lounge at G10 to begin 8:15 boarding at G11. Did I say 8:15? Someone must have meant 8:45 not 8:15. Breezeway check of passport and boarding pass then approximately 12 feet away two tables were setup with one male and one female security person conducting a cursory to detailed baggage chec k and doing a quick pat-down that would miss anything hidden under the clothing. Down escalator to the Jetway and another check of boarding passes and passports. We have to wait for the security check of plane to be completed and finally boarded @ 9:10. Didn't think we would make our 9:45 AM departure yet at 9:50 the door closed and the Jetway was pulling away. Arriving one hour early also allowed us to catch an earlier flight home, however, our luggage stayed in ATL

Last edited by Italy98; Jan 2, 10 at 5:28 pm Reason: Added follow-up
Old Jan 3, 10, 4:26 pm

Returned from Amsterdam today.

Doesn't look like they are limiting carry-ons. The moving map was working the entire flight. They served the second course one hour out from landing and no apparent changes in serving order or anything while the plane was coming in for a landing (I could've had the blanket and pillow on my lap if I wanted).

At the gate at Schipol, security has been noticeably tightened (bring your itinerary / receipt with you, in addition to the boarding pass). They went through every square cm of everyone's carry on luggage. And the pat down involved places on me that haven't been touched at since my dating days

Last edited by DJMeatBall; Jan 3, 10 at 5:17 pm
Old Jan 3, 10, 5:12 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Recently flew ATL-NRT in J. ATL-NRT had the moving map disabled, but otherwise, normal flight. NRT-ATL had a pat-down at the gate for all pax plus an inspection of carry-on luggage...but the moving map was enabled.
Old Jan 3, 10, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
LHR-JFK

Returned from LHR today.

They are limiting carry-ons, I had to do some repacking to check my rollerboard (delta.dumb didn't indicate a limit to 1 carryon from UK, even though it does list the Canada restrictions now )

LHR security was thorough. Full pat-down at checkpoint. At the gate they went through every square cm of everyone's carry on luggage. Full pat-down there too.

The moving map was working the entire flight. They served the second course one hour out from landing and no apparent changes in serving order or anything while the plane was coming in for a landing (I could've had the blanket and pillow on my lap if I wanted). Routine announcement about crowding lavs mentioned that this will be strictly enforced.