Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Flight/Security Reports since DTW incident?

DL Flight/Security Reports since DTW incident?

Old Dec 28, 09, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
On the domestic side, DEN-ATL today was as if nothing had happened. The only thing I noticed was a uniformed police officer standing in the train station at Concourse A - none at stations for B or C gates.

My home airport took things in stride.

Unfortunately, they just removed the PETB Puf-N-Stuf scanners a few months ago.
Old Dec 28, 09, 9:11 pm

Programs: HH diamond, Hyatt diamond, *wood plat, Delta Diamond 4th yr, SWA A List
re additional security measure

Today I handed my business card to a flight attendant with my personal phone number to demonstrate I was who I say I am and for her to call me after the flight to personally verify my identity. I felt obligated to do so considering the new safety and security measures since I am single.
Old Dec 29, 09, 8:00 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by VFF1000000 View Post
Today I handed my business card to a flight attendant with my personal phone number to demonstrate I was who I say I am and for her to call me after the flight to personally verify my identity. I felt obligated to do so considering the new safety and security measures since I am single.
Now, THERE is a patriot!
Old Dec 29, 09, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; DL GM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Hertz Prez Circle
My point is not that we only focus on young men with Muslim names, or those originating from Muslim countries, but that we acknowledge there is a higher likelihood for potential terrorists to have these characteristics, and that they may pose a higher risk than, say, a 50 year old female from Nebraska, so it should at least be a consideration in determining who receives additional screening and who does not.

Profiling is not a magic bullet, but incorporating some aspects of profiling into the overall screening process seems like common sense to me.
Old Dec 29, 09, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ QPP
Originally Posted by socalduck View Post
My point is not that we only focus on young men with Muslim names, or those originating from Muslim countries, but that we acknowledge there is a higher likelihood for potential terrorists to have these characteristics, and that they may pose a higher risk than, say, a 50 year old female from Nebraska, so it should at least be a consideration in determining who receives additional screening and who does not.

Profiling is not a magic bullet, but incorporating some aspects of profiling into the overall screening process seems like common sense to me.
Richard Reid?

I think the biggest problem (political correctness aside) is the impossibility of identifying someone's religion.
Old Dec 29, 09, 10:04 am

Programs: Delta KM, United 1K, SPG plat
It doesn't make sense though. It creates a blind-side which will be exploited. It's much more difficult to foil 'random' checks than predictable ones.

It makes more sense to increase the number of random checks than it does to turn your back to a readily identifiable group of people.
Old Dec 29, 09, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; DL GM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by c1mth0g View Post
Richard Reid?

I think the biggest problem (political correctness aside) is the impossibility of identifying someone's religion.
Agreed. No single factor (race, religion, country of origin, visitation patterns, etc.) can be a reliable indicator of risk. It's when you start seeing multiple factors in an individual that it should trigger a higher level of screening. In the case of Richard Reid, I seem to recall his passport included entries for Pakistan. No doubt there are thousands of young men with British passports that have been to Pakistan that are of no particular risk, but I would argue that this still makes them a more likely risk, based on previous attempts. Screening profiles need not be static, and should evolve based on an assessment of the most likely threats. When 50 year old women from Nebraska, who may or may not be radicalized Baptists, start carrying out attacks against commercial aviation in the name of Jesus, you will have a whole new profile to consider.

What I find the most troubling about this last incident was the fact that the warning signs they (i.e., TSA, various intelligence agencies) are supposed to be looking for already (e.g., tickets purchased with cash, no checked luggage, a father that actually warned authorities his son might be up to something) were completely ignored.

On a related topic, I heard a former FAM give an interview on LA talk radio that seemed to indicate TSA and the FAA were taking a serious look at ending the ability for pax to select seats online. His contention was that this guy selected 19A as it sits over the wing, and would provide maximum damage if the device had worked properly. Not sure if this is something in the works (let's hope not), but given recent developments, it is entirely possible.
Old Dec 29, 09, 11:50 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
On a related topic, I heard a former FAM give an interview on LA talk radio that seemed to indicate TSA and the FAA were taking a serious look at ending the ability for pax to select seats online.
That would accomplish nothing. Being over the wing has no bearing on destroying a plane in flight.

Test bombs in the wake of Reid's failed shoe attempt prove that where you sit has zero impact to reducing a bomb's effect

2008 CNN Report

Shoe bomb test

Last edited by bwhite; Dec 29, 09 at 12:02 pm
Old Dec 29, 09, 12:11 pm

Programs: Delta KM, United 1K, SPG plat
Originally Posted by bwhite View Post
That would accomplish nothing. Being over the wing has no bearing on destroying a plane in flight.
Ah good! This reassures me that TSA would not pursue such a non-sense strategy that does little but inconvenience people and provide a false sense of security to the intellectually lazy.

Wait..
Old Dec 29, 09, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by generaltao View Post
Ah good! This reassures me that TSA would not pursue such a non-sense strategy that does little but inconvenience people and provide a false sense of security to the intellectually lazy.

Wait..
This isn't an accurate portrayal of the TSA. They also waste millions of dollars in the process of inconveniencing people and provide a false sense of security to the intellectually lazy. There, I think that is a more complete representation of the TSA.
Old Dec 29, 09, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by SamuelS View Post
For Delta/NW, this has caused big delays on Canadian flights, but the exposure overall systemwide is minimal as Delta/NW is not nearly as large a carrier now to Canada as say United, or of course the Canadian carriers themselves.
NW has traditionally been a larger player in Western Canada through flights from its MSP hub than in Central and Eastern Canada. I wonder if transborder flights from places like YYC, YEG, YWG, YVR and even places like YUL, YQB and YHZ have been as affected as flights from YYZ. NW seems to have gotten most of their Western Canada flights out reasonably on time yesterday, canceling only 1 YWG-MSP flight. YYZ seems to be the huge mess - especially Air Canada's Terminal 1. That's not surprising, given that YYZ offers more trans-border flights than any other airport in the country.
Old Dec 29, 09, 2:35 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by VFF1000000 View Post
Please keep us updated on whether you hear from her and if she is also single.

On another note, anyone flown from FCO - ATL in the last few days or will fly prior to 2 Jan 10? Would appreciate an update on the FCO experience. Thanks and Happy New Year to all!
Old Dec 29, 09, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/5.8 MMer; MR: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Turning off IFE? No blankets or other items in your lap? What happens the first time some wannabe terrorist sneaks something on board via suppository?
Based on the latest method of getting explosive material on board, we should expect the next TSA order to ban the wearing of underwear over US airspace.
Old Dec 29, 09, 2:47 pm
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
It's a long shot, but does anyone have any info on departures from YXU (London Ontario)? - this is a tiny airport, with only 3 US departures per day and no airside facilities except for a vending machine. Friends of mine (family of 4 with small kids, non English speakers) are on YXU-DTW 3176 tomorrow. Delta.com advises arriving 3 hours in advance for inbound travel to US. My gut says there is no way they need anything like this much time, but I'd rather have some information to go on. Any advice or experience (based on other small canadian airports perhaps)?
Old Dec 29, 09, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by SYM View Post
It's a long shot, but does anyone have any info on departures from YXU (London Ontario)? - this is a tiny airport, with only 3 US departures per day and no airside facilities except for a vending machine. Friends of mine (family of 4 with small kids, non English speakers) are on YXU-DTW 3176 tomorrow. Delta.com advises arriving 3 hours in advance for inbound travel to US. My gut says there is no way they need anything like this much time, but I'd rather have some information to go on. Any advice or experience (based on other small canadian airports perhaps)?
Call the airport and ask them. With smaller airports like this you will probably reach someone in management fairly easily. Assuming they clear CBP in DTW you are probably right but better to be safe than miss the flight.

Search this Thread