Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Flight/Security Reports since DTW incident?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Flight/Security Reports since DTW incident?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:07 pm

Flew DL LHR-ATL-IND on 12/26. Observations for the LHR-ATL leg were as follows:

1. One carryon strictly enforced. One carryon plus one personal item was not permitted, had to be one item period.
2. Boarding process took two and a half hours from start to finish. Boarding started at 10.50 am for an 11.50 am departure, and finished around 1.20 pm.
3. BE called first, but thereafter boarding by zones was not followed. Instead, passengers were called three rows at a time starting from the back of the plane. Not having Medallion / Sky Team Elite plus boarding after BE was disappointing for me.
4. At the end of the jetway two tables were set up. Everyone was patted down, males by a male agent and females by a female agent. All pockets had to be emptied with the contents inspected, and all carryons were inspected. Since they had less than 24 hours to put this into place there was a severe shortage of security staff to do this extra screening.
5. Boarding finished around 1.20 pm, we pushed back at 1.45 pm (about 2 hours late). Didn't make up any time in flight.
6. For last hour of flight, the flight attendants locked the toilets and all carryons, headphones, blankets, pillows etc. had to be put in the overheads. Nothing could be on your lap. Different flight attendants gave different answers as to whether reading a book was permissible. Finally agreed that OK as long as the book wasn't on your lap.
7. No differences from normal procedures noted for the domestic leg.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:09 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM; Marriott Titanium
Leaked TSA Directive which answers a LOT of questions (you can find original at http://www.elliott.org/blog/full-tex...al-inspection/ )
----------------------------------------------------
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
Transportation Security Administration

Aviation Security Directive

Subject: Security Directive
Number: SD 1544-09-06
Date: December 25, 2009

EXPIRATION: 0200Z on December 30, 2009

This Security Directive (SD) must be implemented immediately. The measures contained in this SD are in addition to all other SDs currently in effect for your operations.

INFORMATION: On December 25, 2009, a terrorist attack was attempted against a flight traveling to the United States. TSA has identified security measures to be implemented by airports, aircraft operators, and foreign air carriers to mitigate potential threats to flights.

APPLICABILITY: THIS SD APPLIES TO AIRCRAFT OPERATORS THAT CARRY OUT A SECURITY PROGRAM REGULATED UNDER 49 CODE OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS (CFR)1544.101(a).

ACTIONS REQUIRED: If you conduct scheduled and/or public charter flight operations under a Full Program under 49 CFR 1544.101(a) departing from any foreign location to the United States (including its territories and possessions), you must immediately implement all measures in this SD for each such flight.

1. BOARDING GATE

1. The aircraft operator or authorized air carrier representative must ensure all passengers are screened at the boarding gate during the boarding process using the following procedures. These procedures are in addition to the screening of all passengers at the screening checkpoint.

1. Perform thorough pat-down of all passengers at boarding gate prior to boarding, concentrating on upper legs and torso.
2. Physically inspect 100 percent of all passenger accessible property at the boarding gate prior to boarding, with focus on syringes being transported along with powders and/or liquids.
3. Ensure the liquids, aerosols, and gels restrictions are strictly adhered to in accordance with SD 1544-06-02E.

2. During the boarding process, the air carrier may exempt passengers who are Heads of State or Heads of Government from the measures outlined in Section I.A. of this SD, including the following who are traveling with the Head of State or Head of Government:

1. Spouse and children, or
2. One other individual (chosen by the Head of State or Head of Government)

3. For the purposes of Section I.B., the following definitions apply:

1. Head of State: An individual serving as the chief public representative of a monarchic or republican nation-state, federation, commonwealth, or any other political state (for example, King, Queen, and President).

2. Head of Government: The chief officer of the executive branch of a government presiding over a cabinet (for example, Prime Minister, Premier, President, and Monarch).

2. IN FLIGHT

1. During flight, the aircraft operator must ensure that the following procedures are followed:

1. Passengers must remain in seats beginning 1 hour prior to arrival at destination.
2. Passenger access to carry-on baggage is prohibited beginning 1 hour prior to arrival at destination.
3. Disable aircraft-integrated passenger communications systems and services (phone, internet access services, live television programming, global positioning systems) prior to boarding and during all phases of flight.
4. While over U.S. airspace, flight crew may not make any announcement to passengers concerning flight path or position over cities or landmarks.
5. Passengers may not have any blankets, pillows, or personal belongings on the lap beginning 1 hour prior to arrival at destination.

AIRCRAFT OPERATOR ACKNOWLEDGMENT: The aircraft operator must immediately provide written confirmation to its assigned PSI indicating receipt of this SD.

AIRCRAFT OPERATOR dissemination required: The aircraft operator must immediately pass the information and directives set forth in this SD to all stations affected, and provide written confirmation to its PSI, indicating that all stations affected have acknowledged receipt of the information and directives set forth in this SD. The aircraft operator must disseminate this information to its senior management personnel, ground security coordinators, and supervisory security personnel at all affected locations. All aircraft operator personnel implementing this SD must be briefed by the aircraft operator on its content and the restrictions governing dissemination. No other dissemination may be made without prior approval of the Assistant Secretary for the Transportation Security Administration. Unauthorized dissemination of this document or information contained herein is prohibited by 49 CFR Part 1520 (see 69 Fed. Reg. 28066 (May 18, 2004).

APPROVAL OF ALTERNATIVE MEASURES: With respect to the provisions of this SD, as stated in 49 CFR 1544.305(d), the aircraft operator may submit in writing to its PSI proposed alternative measures and the basis for submitting the alternative measures for approval by the Assistant Administrator for Transportation Sector Network Management. The aircraft operator must immediately notify its PSI whenever any procedure in this SD cannot be carried out by a government authority charged with performing security procedures.

FOR TSA ACTION ONLY: The TSA must issue this SD immediately to the corporate security element of all affected U.S. aircraft operators.

FOR STATE DEPARTMENT: Retransmittal to appropriate foreign posts is authorized. Post must refer to STATE 162917, 201826Z Sep 01, Subject: FAA Security Directives and Information Circulars: Definitions and Handling, for specific guidance and dissemination.

Gale Rossides
Acting Administrator
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:27 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, US, FlyingBlue
I understand the additional screening. The inflight restrictions shouldn't be needed if they would just do a better job of detecting explosive materials.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
I flew today ORF-ATL-MCI...

And realized at ORF that I am an idiot and left my Driver's License in my suit coat pocket, which I decided to forgo in order to wear a winter coat.

So I walk up to the Delta counter and ask about a later flight thinking I'm going to need to rebook. The DL agent walked me to TSA. I thought for sure that they would have enforced a government ID. Lo and behold, they accepted a work id (photo) and -- of all things -- my concealed weapon permit which has no photo. Pushed me right through.

Flights were BAU with no differences at all. The was a FAM on one leg, but nothing out of the ordinary.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:55 pm

Disabled IFE on SYD-LAX or JNB-ATL sounds like a real nightmare...
Old Dec 28, 2009, 1:20 am

Programs: AA PLAT, DL GLD, CO GLD, Hilton Diamond
If we just had closed/secure borders we won't need this nonsense within the Continental US.

Funny the the head of state/govt gets a pass on security. Nice, treat us all as equals.

Can't want to be on a plane and be told that I can't use the rest room, I've always wanted to own an airline, now I may get the chance.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:50 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG
Flew today BWI-SLC-SJC. No changes to security or in-flight protocol.

IIRC from flying to DCA last month, that airport has always had a 1 hr rule (since Sept 11th I mean)
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by ecspike
Flew today BWI-SLC-SJC. No changes to security or in-flight protocol.

IIRC from flying to DCA last month, that airport has always had a 1 hr rule (since Sept 11th I mean)
That's been gone for at least 3 years, and even when it was in effect it was 30 minutes.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:07 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cbr600f4i2

Can't want to be on a plane and be told that I can't use the rest room, I've always wanted to own an airline, now I may get the chance.
Are you going to come prepared with a pair of adult diapers and purposely wet yourself?

Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:38 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM'r,
CVG Conditions this AM

Checked in for DL1121 (CVG-LAX) this morning and everything looked as it was before. No extra security, still letting roll aboards and personal item on, no extra checks at the gate.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:21 am

Programs: DL Plat, CO Gold, Avis First, HH Silver
Can I kindly ask that further posters restirct their experiences to more international legs? I think we've firmly established via the posts thusfar, and the TSA document, that these changes will only apply to INTL legs, not domestic.

Has anyone flown out of TLV back to the states yet? Any changes there. TLV security makes the TSA look like a bunch of mall cops already...the idea that these changes will improve security ex-TLV is laughable, but I am scared that they'll try anyway...
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Yes, please post intl experience, particularly with the:

"3. Disable aircraft-integrated passenger communications systems and services (phone, internet access services, live television programming, global positioning systems) prior to boarding and during all phases of flight."

I rarely have IFE domestically anyway, but on the intl flights that's what keeps me occupied for hours and allows me to catch up on movies I missed If no IFE, it'd be good to know so I could purposefully book overnight flights only to sleep the time away.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:17 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Just spoke to my sister who flew YYZ (Toronto, ON) to RSW (Fort Myers, FL) on Air Canada yesterday. It was very, very bad.

They arrived 4 hours early for their 2:45 PM flight. The flight eventually left at 10:20 PM.

YYZ has US CBP for pre-clearance into the US. Yesterday they were not allowing anyone to enter the CBP area until they called individual flight numbers. CBP was very, very thorough. This was day two of the new travel rules. Day one they allowed people into the CBP area but on day two they denied entry into that area until called by flight #. Due to the extensive processing time, many many flights were delayed and/or cancelled. Time were consequently being posted, then revised, then finally you were called into CBP by flight #.

Several hours into the ordeal, and once through CBP they started to rush people through security realizing they were severally impacting a large number of flights. Now, several hours later they finally made it through security only discover secondary security at the gate. Secondary screening was painstakingly going through all carry on and no roller boards were allowed on board - all had to be checked. Average time per pax was around 3 - 5 minutes.

Gate screening included pat downs. Unfortunately they ran low on male screening personnel so woman were called forward and processed by female security personnel. Final boarding announcements were made and several woman now processed collected around the gate area explaining they would not board without their husbands or sons. It started to get hostile. My brother-in-law, 6th male in line with final boarding announcements being made, just made it on his flight with seconds to spare.

Now on board the A/C and settled in the pilot came into the cabin and over the PA announced he good news and bad news. The bad news was the flight crew had just timed out and could not fly. The good news was a replacement crew was heading down the jetway as he spoke.

Once airborne the FA told my sister the cabin crew was 5 minutes from timing out but departed just in the nick of time to avoid another delay.

No standing in last hour of flight, no access to carry on in final hour.

Arriving into RSW now at 1:30 AM (7 1/2 hours late) there was a crowd of delayed pax waiting for their flight back to YYZ also very tired and cranky having been at the airport for a very long time waiting for the flight home.

In YYZ, there were many, many cancellations to US destinations. Sister had a long talk with a family that missed their cruise leaving from MIA having been delayed now two days trying to leave YYZ. The airport was an absolute zoo and crowds of very unhappy people. Not a good day to fly to the US.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:20 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold
Do we have any confirmed reports of Delta flights with the IFE turned off?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:37 am

Programs: DL Gold; HH; UA
Originally Posted by paterwdb
I flew today ORF-ATL-MCI...

And realized at ORF that I am an idiot and left my Driver's License in my suit coat pocket, which I decided to forgo in order to wear a winter coat.

So I walk up to the Delta counter and ask about a later flight thinking I'm going to need to rebook. The DL agent walked me to TSA. I thought for sure that they would have enforced a government ID. Lo and behold, they accepted a work id (photo) and -- of all things -- my concealed weapon permit which has no photo. Pushed me right through.

Flights were BAU with no differences at all. The was a FAM on one leg, but nothing out of the ordinary.

What do BAU and FAM represent? Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.