Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upcoming Equipment for DTW-HKG and Seat Map "Issues"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2009, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,

Looking forward to the start of the DTW-HKG service this summer. I have been doing some research for an upcoming trip and am seeing a lot of inconsistency and I was hoping to shed some light on the situation.

First, somedays it is listed as a 777-200ER (sigh) and other days a 777-200LR. When DL announced this service didn't they in fact declare this a 777L route? If so, why are they doing this with the equipment?

Second, when oh when is DL going to fix the infuriating problem with NW seat maps and the d**m 90 day rule
As the flight is currently listed, its either NW751 or DL6839 depending on who's website you use to pull it up. Irrespective of the website, the flight is still listed as "operated by Dl For Nw" or plainly "operated by DL." Either way, the company and every single human being knows it is a Delta flight operated by Delta metal. Why did DL choose to enter this flight as though it were a NW operated flight and thus 1. not give access to seat maps 2. make it impossible to choose seats via a DL.com booking 3. Make me doubt the slow IT integration process...again.

IIRC, they are running the schedule change sweeps the first week of January. Does anyone else think this should fix this problem?

DLATL777 at a very cold and snowy JFK.

Last edited by DLATL777; Dec 21, 2009 at 3:57 pm
Old Dec 21, 2009, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DLATL777
First, somedays it is listed as a 777-200ER (sigh) and other days a 777-200LR. When DL announced this service didn't they in fact declare this a 777L route? If so, why are they doing this with the equipment?
They did. But they didn't say it would operate with the LR exclusively.

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=776
Old Dec 21, 2009, 3:51 pm

Either way, the company and every single human being knows it is a Delta flight operated by Delta metal. Why did DL choose to enter this flight as though it were a NW operated flight and thus 1. not give access to seat maps 2. make it impossible to choose seats via a DL.com booking 3. Make me doubt the merging process...again.
Actually, it is a "NW flight" (i.e. it's marketed as a NW flight with the NW751 flight number) that is operated with a DL aircraft.

After DL & NW achieve one single operating certificate and share one inventory system, many things will likely change, including flight numbers.

For now, a minor consolation is that while you can't select a seat because it's > 90 days out, neither can anyone else.

No need to doubt the merging process. It's been a long and hard road for both airlines, and they're getting close to tying up all the loose ends, but they're not quite there yet.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 4:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
They did. But they didn't say it would operate with the LR exclusively]
True that. I bet they're doing aircraft rotations because of the asia schedules.

For example:

DTW-HKG-NRT-? on a 77L

and

?-NRT-HKG-DTW on the 772, depending on the day.

Also, Delta does (or at least used to do) heavy maintenance line checks for larger Boeing aircraft in HKG.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Conversely, every single day flight 90/91 operates with a 777 (ATL-NRT-ATL) it shows 777L.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Can the 777ER make the 7,835-mile flight? I thought that the maximum range was just shy of that, at 7,700 miles. Or, would they just take a lighter cargo load to go the extra miles?
Old Dec 21, 2009, 7:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Either way, the company and every single human being knows it is a Delta flight operated by Delta metal. Why did DL choose to enter this flight as though it were a NW operated flight and thus 1. not give access to seat maps 2. make it impossible to choose seats via a DL.com booking 3. Make me doubt the slow IT integration process...again.
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that NW has the route authority, and legally has to be the company that markets the flight... not unlike EWR-AMS, PDX-NRT or any number of other flights that have been cross-fleeted.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Can the 777ER make the 7,835-mile flight? I thought that the maximum range was just shy of that, at 7,700 miles. Or, would they just take a lighter cargo load to go the extra miles?
I think that CO has been using the ER from Newark-HKG for many years.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BF263533
I think that CO has been using the ER from Newark-HKG for many years.
And lets not forget ATL-PVG with the 777ER.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.