Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by akcae
95K seems to be the new normal "saver" rate, I just booked N. America - Asia on partner metal and that was the price.
I think it's currently 80k on Delta and 95k on partners, but that could have changed.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by hurnik
So what's the "best" way of finding the elusive low-level (saver/whatever) business/First awards?

Do you still have to literally go through delta.com and try each segment (since we have no award chart, how do we know what the "low level" is anymore)?

Or is this where expert flyer comes into play?

Thanks!
ExpertFlyer.com + DL mobile app, especially if you're looking for partner space. Delta.com has been broken in that regard for a while now, and a LOT of the partner space doesn't even show up.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by akcae
ExpertFlyer.com + DL mobile app, especially if you're looking for partner space. Delta.com has been broken in that regard for a while now, and a LOT of the partner space doesn't even show up.
Thank you very much. I'll mosey over to the Expert Flyer forum so I can glean info on how to use it.

I'm not familiar with the terminology (C0, etc.) for the coding of seat buckets or whatever, but I'm sure I'll learn.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mattp1987
I think it's currently 80k on Delta and 95k on partners, but that could have changed.
As of a month ago for me it was still. But keep in mind there are several "Asia" zones and there is no blanket Asia pricing. Should be to North Asia (China, Korea, Japan, Taiwan). SE Asian should be 95K.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Delta Gold, Delta 0.17 MM
In your experience do the Tier 2 award flights ever drop back down to the "saver" level? I'm eyeing a November TPAC flight that's currently at 105k and I'm wondering if there's any precedent for dropping back down to 80k.

Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by flying_gibbon
In your experience do the Tier 2 award flights ever drop back down to the "saver" level? I'm eyeing a November TPAC flight that's currently at 105k and I'm wondering if there's any precedent for dropping back down to 80k.

Thanks!
Sure it happens all the time. In the matter of a week the same flight can be 80k, 185k, 100k, then 60k, then 100k again.

Is the flight is mostly or largely empty it can go down to the normal price. Not that it will. It may. Or it may go up two, three or even four fold. If your travel is optional or otherwise you don't mind paying double or triple later on, just keep checking daily or even a few times a day.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: DL DM
I've never seen reward flights drop in value, but I tend to choose routes that are chock-full.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:25 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by stencil
I've never seen reward flights drop in value, but I tend to choose routes that are chock-full.
I've seen it happen to LIM, but would be less optimistic about it on a TPAC.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by stencil
I've seen it happen on a domestic flight. 9.5k went to 12.5k and came back down to 9.5k.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Zorak
I've seen it happen to LIM, but would be less optimistic about it on a TPAC.
Not sure about other locations, but to Japan happens all the time. I've regularly seen flights go from nearly 4x of the normal price, to normal price, and up again, and down again, and inbetween. Just keep checking daily for a few months. Start 331 days out. If the flight is not filling up and is mostly empty it may be available at the normal price for a few random days over the course of 11 months that you can book it.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Not sure about other locations, but to Japan happens all the time. I've regularly seen flights go from nearly 4x of the normal price, to normal price, and up again, and down again, and inbetween. Just keep checking daily for a few months. Start 331 days out. If the flight is not filling up and is mostly empty it may be available at the normal price for a few random days over the course of 11 months that you can book it.
Huh. What market are you coming out of of?

I've been flying NYC-TYO for going on 20 years and about 50% of the time have been buying award tickets. I have yet to see one drop in miles price. I have a pretty giant sample size here.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Gold; Hertz President circle
Is there any reason AF isn't releasing any award flights form CDG - LHR on July 29, 2018? It's literally the only day that AF did not release awards for that route in the month of July!

I'm booked on two long hauls, one that arrives in CDG and the next departs from LHR. The availability for the short haul shows on the delta website, but agents aren't able to book it.

If the award doesn't open up, I'm fine to buy the ticket, but I wonder if the agent can combine all three legs of my trip so as to protect me in cas wolf IROPS.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:51 am

Next May I'm planning to head to Africa on safari thus I'm trying to book some award travel to NBO (one - way as I'm making a few stops). Inventory is showing up on Delta.com, and when I call, at 80,000 for biz connecting thru Amsterdam continuing on via KLM (unfortunately the KLM leg is in economy for some reason).

When I got to book, and when the agent tries to book, it doesn't work. After spending an hour speaking to the agent today she just stated there may not be any inventory on the KLM leg. This seems like false advertising. I've been watching this flight for a while now and it has always showed availability. Anyone else have a similar experience? Since it's KLM that may be the issue not sure if there's anything they can do.

I'm a lowly Gold Medallion if that makes any difference.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kajonesbu
Next May I'm planning to head to Africa on safari thus I'm trying to book some award travel to NBO (one - way as I'm making a few stops). Inventory is showing up on Delta.com, and when I call, at 80,000 for biz connecting thru Amsterdam continuing on via KLM (unfortunately the KLM leg is in economy for some reason).

When I got to book, and when the agent tries to book, it doesn't work. After spending an hour speaking to the agent today she just stated there may not be any inventory on the KLM leg. This seems like false advertising. I've been watching this flight for a while now and it has always showed availability. Anyone else have a similar experience? Since it's KLM that may be the issue not sure if there's anything they can do.

I'm a lowly Gold Medallion if that makes any difference.
Online/app will offer options where one flight is in a lower cabin. Most times no big issue as it's a short flight. However in other cases, it's a longer leg.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
I just came across an experience that was really frustrating and wondering if anyone else has encountered this? Yesterday I went to book an award on the latest available date for next year (11/22/2018) for PER-JFK. There was low level available in J for 94k miles per person. It was a combination of VA/DL and when I tried to book it online it would error out and say I needed to call DL. I had booked this exact itinerary 2 days earlier on 12/24 for travel on 11/20/2018 (the latest possible day) with no issues over the phone. The agent said she couldn't get the flights to work because while the first flight - PER-SYD - was on 11/22, the connecting flights were on 11/23 and those dates weren't available yet. I HUACA 5 different times and got some helpful agents on the DM line, skymiles desk, international desk and all came back with the same error and said that I would have to wait until midnight to book. I told them that the fare would change and I just did this same booking 2 days earlier with the same flights a day outside the latest booking date with no problem. All agents saw my booking and had no idea why I was able to do it then and not now.

Sure enough I went back online at 11pm to try again and the award had shot up from 94k to 215k miles per person. Has anyone ever had this happen or know of any ways to work around this in the future. I don't know why I didn't have the problem on 12/24 but had it yesterday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.