Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2011, 11:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Thanks.

Did you want extended layovers in Paris both ways?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by wco81
Thanks.

Did you want extended layovers in Paris both ways?
On the way to Italy we could have connected with a flight to Rome with only a 2 hr layover but we really wanted to spent 1 1/2 day in Paris. We actually arrive in Paris at 8:35am. It's our first time in Paris so we're only guessing but by the time we go through customs & check in our Hotel it will probably be 11:30 & we didn't want to only spend pm & evening in Paris (especially considering potential jetlag) so we extended it an extra day.

On the return the only nonstop flight Paris-Seattle left at 10:30am. So we figure we would fly to Paris a day early so we would already be there in the am. We usually travel light with only carry ons so it should be pretty easy to get in & out of the airport. We'd rather do that than start our day real early in Italy, fly to Paris, catch another flight that has 1-2 more layover before we finally get to Seattle. We hate travelling in airports for a straight 24hrs+.

We could have done our longer layover on our return but by the end of our vacation we don't usually have the kind of energy we have at the beginning of the vacation to be able to do a whilrwind visit to another city :-)
Old Jun 4, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: Curr Noob, Ex Road Warrior
What is the best route from HNL-KUL or other SE Asian destinations with out touching main land US to find BE award availability? Thanks
Old Jun 4, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: Happily off the elite hamster wheel
Originally Posted by ikonos
What is the best route from HNL-KUL or other SE Asian destinations with out touching main land US to find BE award availability? Thanks
Try China Airlines (CI). HNL-TPE-KUL. Or if you're willing to go out of the way a little bit, KE. HNL-ICN-KUL. But they both have blackout dates.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: Curr Noob, Ex Road Warrior
Originally Posted by Spicy B
Try China Airlines (CI). HNL-TPE-KUL. Or if you're willing to go out of the way a little bit, KE. HNL-ICN-KUL. But they both have blackout dates.
Thanks. I can't find CI on expert flyer and it does not show anything for KE as always. I will call SM and see what I can find. Essentially I want to fly from SEA to KUL or any SE asian destination with a stopover in HNL either going or coming back.

How is HA first class from HNL-HND?

UPDATE: The agent could not find any award availability for low miles. Expert flyer appears to be of no use for this route. I understand I can only check KE availability if I have enough miles for the ticket, so thats a no go there as well. Is there any way to check CI/MH business availability? Thanks

Last edited by ikonos; Jun 4, 2011 at 6:41 pm
Old Jun 4, 2011, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
MH has some hefty fuel surcharges, so keep that in mind if you choose them.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Update 5 (and hopefully last one!)

After a schedule change caused more disruptions, I tried changing flights on the Delta website. While doing this, Delta.dumb glitched out and deleted my entire itinerary. I called Delta 10 minutes later and 8 days later they were finally able to reinstate the itinerary after waiting on partner Malaysian to re-open some legs that were no longer available. This was frustrating and scary waiting for this. On the plus side, I was able to improve some of the return flights because of the schedule change, and avoid China Eastern and a tight connection and Y RJ from JFK - CLT.

Can't ask for much more for low inventory.

Here is how it stands (2 x 120,000 miles):

Aug 27
CLT - JFK - LAX - TPE - KUL (Destination) on Delta and Malaysian (with CLT - JFK on a RJ with Y only and JFK - LAX on the BusinessElite)

Sept 2
KUL - PVG (Stopover) on Malaysian (with an overnight in KUL)

Sept 9
PVG - DTW - CLT on Delta in BusinessElite and F with a 2 hour layover in DTW.

Originally Posted by beofotch
Update 4

There was a schedule change last night that moved my departure time on August 27 by 1 hour and 5 minutes. As a result I called in to make changes and was able to make some desireable changes to the itinerary to fly transcon on the BusinessElite JFK - LAX and to avoid an overnight in JFK on the return. All in all very pleased with this itinerary for 2 folks for 120,000 miles.

Aug 27
CLT - JFK - LAX - TPE - KUL (Destination) on Delta and Malaysian (with CLT - JFK on a RJ with Y only and JFK - LAX on the BusinessElite)

Sept 2
KUL - PVG (Stopover) on Malaysian (with an overnight in KUL)

Sept 9
PVG - JFK - CLT on China Eastern and Delta (With a 1 hour 35 minute connection at JFK).
Old Jun 11, 2011, 5:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Correct. DL's routing rules for CONUS-East Asia are subject to an maximum permitted mileage and a Pacific routing. AF's routing rules for the same city pair will require routing via the Atlantic and the appropriate MPM for that sort of routing.
Where does Delta publish all these routing rules? I would love to see the full list..
Old Jun 11, 2011, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
They don't publish them in any freely-accessible way that I know of. You can find them using ExpertFlyer, however. They're now available in the Travel Information section or by using Fare Information and then clicking the routing icon on the fare line.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:35 pm
formerly Mdanner423

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Used this to score a round-trip ticket to Istanbul in J just 10 days from now!
Old Jun 15, 2011, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Trying to manage MSP -> JNB in BE for May 2012. Best I can find (not that great of dates) is 250,000pp. Ouch.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 5:15 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by lucycan
Trying to manage MSP -> JNB in BE for May 2012. Best I can find (not that great of dates) is 250,000pp. Ouch.
Go AF via Paris
Old Jun 16, 2011, 6:48 am
Suspended

Malaysia airlines awards

Does anyone know how I can check awards with MAS or Kenya Airways

from CLT-NBO on Kenya via AMS (combined with KLM or DL) in business class for march 24-31, 2012

or

MAS CLT-LHR-KUL (with DL and MAS) in Business or F class same dates....

I have 350K to blow on 2 tickets,

is this do-able?

p.s. im relatively new to skymiles hence how im inept at doing this.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 6:55 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by charlotteimmigration
Does anyone know how I can check awards with MAS or Kenya Airways

from CLT-NBO on Kenya via AMS (combined with KLM or DL) in business class for march 24-31, 2012

or

MAS CLT-LHR-KUL (with DL and MAS) in Business or F class same dates....

I have 350K to blow on 2 tickets,

is this do-able?

p.s. im relatively new to skymiles hence how im inept at doing this.
Sign up for FlyingBlue at KLM or I use www.airfrance.us. Their search engine is pretty effective at searching KLM, Air France and Kenya Airways, with some quirks on the latter. But for just two tickets you should be fine. See this other thread for some discussion on it: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-recently.html

As for MAS, not too sure. ExpertFlyer can check, and you can also sign up to their FF program at their website and check availability that way, but I have never tried to book so cannot tell you if the availability either of those shows correlates well with what DL can actually book

Good luck!
Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:53 am
Suspended

So i just found this on Airfrance.us using the flying blue tool, sector to sector entry

JFK-LHR - DL 148

LHR-AMS (stopover) KLM

AMS-NBO (destination) KLM

NBO-LHR Kenya Airways (wait overnight for return to US)

LHR-FCO-JFK - Alitalia

All in business available on my dates,

Will DL allow me to book this itenary for the "low" 120K mileage each ?

and is alitalia any good for a day flight? food ought to be nice, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.