Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2011, 7:55 pm

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by medellinfein
Does Delta allow one to go to East Asia via Europe (if availability is there) on Air France for the same mileage as just crossing the Pacific?

Tried this on Delta.com (after verifying availability on Air France) and it priced out at 220k instead of 120k...what gives?

Thanks!
i believe this is a violation of routing rules. You have to go over the pacific for US-Asia BE award to be priced at 120K. If you go through EU, the ticket is priced at US-EU+EU-Asia.
Old May 8, 2011, 11:47 pm

Programs: Curr Noob, Ex Road Warrior
I was able to price a RT SEA-MSP-YUL-CDG-BOM in business for 120K + $130 taxes and put it on hold and called Delta to add BOM-HYD segment to it before booking the ticket. They routed me to the manual re-issue desk as I had an existing itinerary on a different route with coach and business mixed in. However I was told it is pricing at 165K miles per person because there are too many segments and that if they take out one segment either SEA-MSP or BOM-HYD, it is pricing out to 120K. I ended up booking up to BOM for now. Is the "too many" segments a common scenario? Is there anything that can be done to add BOM-HYD to this ticket with out having to pay 45K miles extra per person? i was ok with paying an additional 10-15K miles but 45K sounded too much when that RT BOM-HYD ticket is pricing out around $150. Appreciate your suggestions.

Because of the changed itinerary they gave us travel vouchers for difference in taxes between the itineraries. However I also added an infant lap ticket for $630. Can those difference in our taxes be directed towards the infant ticket to reduce its price? Or those travel vouchers only useful for the ticketed person? Thanks

Last edited by ikonos; May 8, 2011 at 11:52 pm
Old May 9, 2011, 5:45 am

Programs: A few
Does Delta allow one to go to East Asia via Europe (if availability is there) on Air France for the same mileage as just crossing the Pacific?

Tried this on Delta.com (after verifying availability on Air France) and it priced out at 220k instead of 120k...what gives?

Thanks!
No routing via Europe so you have to combine US-Europe with Europe-Asia which is the 220k you are seeing.
Old May 9, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
No routing via Europe so you have to combine US-Europe with Europe-Asia which is the 220k you are seeing.
Correct. DL's routing rules for CONUS-East Asia are subject to an maximum permitted mileage and a Pacific routing. AF's routing rules for the same city pair will require routing via the Atlantic and the appropriate MPM for that sort of routing.
Old May 9, 2011, 2:44 pm

Programs: big pimpin'

Thanks!
Tried this recently, and the Delta rep told me that it was not permitted because the pricing desk said this sort of itinerary is not sold....

(Pretty sure that the reasoning is wrong, but the result confirms what others have said notwithstanding)
Old May 9, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by ikonos
Is the "too many" segments a common scenario? Is there anything that can be done to add BOM-HYD to this ticket with out having to pay 45K miles extra per person?

Because of the changed itinerary they gave us travel vouchers for difference in taxes between the itineraries. However I also added an infant lap ticket for $630. Can those difference in our taxes be directed towards the infant ticket to reduce its price? Or those travel vouchers only useful for the ticketed person? Thanks
Once you have the 120k ticket booked, then call later to see if you can add the BOM-HYD leg. Trying too many things at the same time confuses matters.

For the travel vouchers, you should be able to use that towards the infant ticket. But I could be wrong.
Old May 12, 2011, 9:12 am

Programs: HHonors Dia, PC Plat, DL PM, SPG Gold
KL availability from IAD

I am trying to book 3 biz award tickets but I do not see any KL availability from IAD to AMS - I can get it via CDG but on AF. I want to try KL biz class if I can using this award ticket. Can somebody point me in the right direction. I am using AF FB to search if that helps.

- naroowal
Old May 12, 2011, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by naroowal
I am trying to book 3 biz award tickets but I do not see any KL availability from IAD to AMS - I can get it via CDG but on AF. I want to try KL biz class if I can using this award ticket. Can somebody point me in the right direction. I am using AF FB to search if that helps.

- naroowal
The issue is going to be that KL runs an A330 on that route, while AF runs a A380. The A380 routes are where most of the TATL award capacity seems to be easily found now days. 26J vs. 78J according to EF on those routes. Seems pretty clear which one would have J award space, especially if you're looking for three seats. A KL route with a 744 is probably going to be your best chance, but even then, they've only got low 40's of J seats and I'm not sure if they run them on CONUS routes.
Old May 12, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: HHonors Dia, PC Plat, DL PM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mtkeller
The issue is going to be that KL runs an A330 on that route, while AF runs a A380. The A380 routes are where most of the TATL award capacity seems to be easily found now days. 26J vs. 78J according to EF on those routes. Seems pretty clear which one would have J award space, especially if you're looking for three seats. A KL route with a 744 is probably going to be your best chance, but even then, they've only got low 40's of J seats and I'm not sure if they run them on CONUS routes.
mtkeller -

thank you on the insight. Should I then stick with AF thinking it is a better biz class .

- naroowal
Old May 12, 2011, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by naroowal
mtkeller -

thank you on the insight. Should I then stick with AF thinking it is a better biz class .

- naroowal
If I could find three seats on AF around when I wanted them, I'd jump on them. Maybe save trying out KL for some time when you're travelling alone and only need one seat. I do think the idea of the Delft houses is neat, but I can't say I've heard anything else about KL J that makes it stand out as distinctive.
Old May 13, 2011, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
I don't think US-East Asia-India is valid routing. I might be wrong though.
I did DEL-SVO-NRT-LAX as a return last year combo SU/DL

It was a long day, but SU business was excellent , DL not so much.
Old May 15, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Update 4

There was a schedule change last night that moved my departure time on August 27 by 1 hour and 5 minutes. As a result I called in to make changes and was able to make some desireable changes to the itinerary to fly transcon on the BusinessElite JFK - LAX and to avoid an overnight in JFK on the return. All in all very pleased with this itinerary for 2 folks for 120,000 miles.

Aug 27
CLT - JFK - LAX - TPE - KUL (Destination) on Delta and Malaysian (with CLT - JFK on a RJ with Y only and JFK - LAX on the BusinessElite)

Sept 2
KUL - PVG (Stopover) on Malaysian (with an overnight in KUL)

Sept 9
PVG - JFK - CLT on China Eastern and Delta (With a 1 hour 35 minute connection at JFK).

Originally Posted by beofotch
Update 3

Aug 27
CLT - MSP - LAX - TPE - KUL (Destination) on Delta and Malaysian

Sept 2
KUL - PVG (Stopover) on Malaysian (with an overnight in KUL)

Sept 9
PVG - JFK - ATL - CLT on China Eastern and Delta (JFK - ATL in coach; overnight in JFK).

They would not let me fly all the way to LGK without charging me for 2 awards because they said LGK was not a "Published Delta Destination" and consequently I would have to start a 2nd award for 40,000 in J if I wanted LGK as a final destination. This got escalated to many agents and even customer service but they wouldn't budge. So finally I was able to score the above itinerary. I will work out LGK (or any other destination) in another ticket. Total taxes down to $436.40.

Fare Details: CLT DL X/MSP DL X/LAX MH KUL M0.00CSM600/FT240 MH SHA MU X/NYC
DL X/ATL DL CLT M0.00CSM600/FT240 NUC0.00END ROE0
Old May 16, 2011, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I would not put any more miles into DL. I can't answer on CO specifically, since I haven't booked that route, but they are usually much better. AA is usually good, but if you ticket for BA there may be big fuel surcharges.
Old May 16, 2011, 2:49 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I would not put any more miles into DL. I can't answer on CO specifically, since I haven't booked that route, but they are usually much better. AA is usually good, but if you ticket for BA there may be big fuel surcharges.
I am a real rookie. I never even bothered to check in to my AA miles , till someone told me he used them to fly to different places in Europe. My 160K AA miles were rolled over from TWA so you have an idea how long I have had them .

I was in much better financial shape years ago and for the first time in my I used my miles for a ticket last year. That was then and this is now.

Thus the need to maximize miles etc .

Anyone else feel free to jump in
Old May 17, 2011, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Skymiles on UX

Anyone have luck getting a DL agent to book awards on UX (Air Europa)? I've spent countless hours pecking out an biz class itinerary using dl.com, expert flyer, and KVS and now the dl agents I've talked to don't see the UX availability that I see on EF. What gives?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.