Search

Paying for Checked Luggage in Advance

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Paying for Checked Luggage in Advance

Is there any way to pay for my bag before check-in? If not, why don't they have this feature?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Is there any way to pay for my bag before check-in? If not, why don't they have this feature?
Yes, but there's no cost savings. You can pay when checking in online or at kiosk. Regardless cost is the same, thus why can't pay at ticket booking.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes, but there's no cost savings. You can pay when checking in online or at kiosk. Regardless cost is the same, thus why can't pay at ticket booking.
I live a stone throw's away from the airport, does that mean I can head over and pay at the kiosk for my flight in a couple of weeks, or do I HAVE to wait until 24 hours beforehand?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DCP2016
I live a stone throw's away from the airport, does that mean I can head over and pay at the kiosk for my flight in a couple of weeks, or do I HAVE to wait until 24 hours beforehand?
No. The kiosk will only work the day of or the day before travel.

Is there a reason need to pay before hand?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
No. The kiosk will only work the day of or the day before travel.

Is there a reason need to pay before hand?
Sometimes parents/guardians do it for UMNRs in advance.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Sometimes parents/guardians do it for UMNRs in advance.
I'm guessing UMNR stands for Unaccompanied minor. I don't think an unaccompanied minor is allowed to check in without an adult present anyway.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:46 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Paying for checked luggage in advance is usually a bad idea. I know someone who paid upon check in, then her flight was canceled and she was rerouted on another airline. It was a major hassle for her to get her checked luggage fee reimbursed.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unless there is a major discount, and there is not on DL, it is a terrible idea to pay in advance for the reasons above. While flights are certainly cancelled after bag check, it's less frequent than in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.