Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Sounds like you are using the website. Mistake #1.
But are phone agents able to book a "flight has just sold out" on the website flight?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
There was someone in another thread a week ago that had the same issue. They saw inventory on Expert Flyer and the DL site. When trying to book, it would say sold out, etc. Calling didnt help either. They asked the agent to do a long sell, and multiple agents all said they either don't need to, or can't do a long sell with af/kl (said only needed with Alitalia). Well eventually they found an agent to try a long sell and low and behold the seats were bookable.

I would try finding an agent willing to do a long sell to try to book. And don't worry if you don't know what that means. Just ask the agent if they can "long sell" the ticket.

Alternatively, I have heard of people having success in calling web support when the site continually shows availability but won't book. If you can get throught there, they may be more capable than a phone agent.

Edit:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19783147-post123.html
Old Dec 9, 2012, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Need some help in figuring a routing

I am not familiar with DL's and SkyTeam's route map so I figure some of the experts here can help me in figuring a route(s) for a trip to Scandinavia.

Planning a trip to Northern Europe to cover the following parts:

Norwegian Fjords (Bergen, BG0) I believe KLM flies AMS-BGO.

Oslo

Helsinki (from where we plan to take the train to St. Petersburg)

I believe we need to open jaw between BGO/OSL or HEL. Depends on whether SkyTeam services HEL or not, would determine whether we fly back to US from OSL or from HEL. as SkyTeam does serve OSL.

Does DL allow both a Stopover and an Open Jaw? I understand it allows a Stopover.

Originating city is MIA but if needed to, we could start from JFK / ATL and just pay for the domestic legs via other programs.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 9, 2012 at 5:30 pm
Old Dec 9, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Happy
I believe we need to open jaw between BGO/OSL or HEL. Depends on whether SkyTeam services HEL or not, would determine whether we fly back to US from OSL or from HEL. as SkyTeam does serve OSL.
In what sense doesn't SkyTeam serve OSL? AF, KL, and SU all fly to OSL. SU and KL both service HEL, and you may be able to book AY flights with AF codes if AF has O inventory available on the flight showing in ExpertFlyer.

Does DL allow both a Stopover and an Open Jaw? I understand it allows a Stopover.
Yes, you can have both. See mnredfox's great thread on using SkyMiles for partner awards for much greater details on the idiosyncrasies of DL's award routing rules.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtkeller
In what sense doesn't SkyTeam serve OSL? AF, KL, and SU all fly to OSL. SU and KL both service HEL, and you may be able to book AY flights with AF codes if AF has O inventory available on the flight showing in ExpertFlyer.
You just quoted me, "as Skyteam does serve OSL".

I was asking whether SkyTeam serves HEL. (not sure I want to fly SU though.)

If Skyteam serves both OSL and HEL, that would make things easier. Else, we just hit OSL twice on the trip - one on way to HEL and later St. Petersburgh, and one on our way back to US.

You mean DL award allows you to book a codeshare?

What AY flight you talked about that is codeshared with AF, CDG-HEL?

Yes, you can have both. See mnredfox's great thread on using SkyMiles for partner awards for much greater details on the idiosyncrasies of DL's award routing rules.
Yes. I am doing my heavy duty reading now - this, mnredfox's thread, and the award success thread.

One more thread I need to read - which routes DL flies its flat-bed? I hope to get a DL flat bed for the TATL part instead of the AF/KLM angled seat.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:23 pm

You just quoted me, "as Skyteam does serve OSL".
Doh. This is not a good day for my reading comprehension. I'll chalk it up to grading 40 student essays on applications of multivariable calculus today turning my brain to swiss cheese.

I was asking whether SkyTeam serves HEL. (not sure I want to fly SU though.)
There's not much wrong with SU now days by most reports, although their long-haul J seats are angled flat. They'll have better short-haul J seats than the EU partners, however, as SU uses seats more like domestic F than Eurobiz, from my understanding.

You mean DL award allows you to book a codeshare?

What AY flight you talked about that is codeshared with AF, CDG-HEL?
Yes. There are certain routes where AF has award inventory on codeshare flights under their flight numbers. If the inventory shows for X/O on ExpertFlyer, it should be bookable with SkyMiles. I just pulled up an AF-coded, AY-operated CDG-HEL flight for July on DL.dumb and it would allow me to book the award seat.

One more thread I need to read - which routes DL flies its flat-bed? I hope to get a DL flat bed for the TATL part instead of the AF/KLM angled seat.
If you need two seats, good luck finding them on the same flight on DL metal. LHR is about the only guaranteed flat bed TATL right now. I think FRA might also be in that boat, but not with the same level of advertising commitment. The 764s are what to look for. Otherwise, take a look at the 767-300ER modification tracking thread, as ClipperDelta does a good job of updating which routes seem to have the updated 763s on them.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doh. This is not a good day for my reading comprehension. I'll chalk it up to grading 40 student essays on applications of multivariable calculus today turning my brain to swiss cheese.

There's not much wrong with SU now days by most reports, although their long-haul J seats are angled flat. They'll have better short-haul J seats than the EU partners, however, as SU uses seats more like domestic F than Eurobiz, from my understanding.

Yes. There are certain routes where AF has award inventory on codeshare flights under their flight numbers. If the inventory shows for X/O on ExpertFlyer, it should be bookable with SkyMiles. I just pulled up an AF-coded, AY-operated CDG-HEL flight for July on DL.dumb and it would allow me to book the award seat.
Thanks for the info. This is a great news that CDG-HEL is bookable.

Initially I was thinking about to fly in AMS. From there we can position ourselves for a possible 7 days Norwegian Fjords cruise r/t AMS offered by Holland America. Then we make our own way to OSL, from OSL to ARN (Stockholm), then to HEL, and Russia. Back to HEL to fly home.

After digging some more info for the proposed trip, I believe what makes the most sense for us is to fly in OSL, do a "Norway in a Nutshell" tour that is 2 days only r/t OSL to get a taste of the Fjords (so to see what is the difference comparing to that in NZ). Take the ferry from OSL to ARN for a couple days, then ferry again to HEL. From HEL, take train to St. Petersburgh. Then to Moscow. AY should serve Moscow and HEL? If so, then we can use BA Avios for that segment. From HEL back to US.

So the DL award would be: MIA-OSL//HEL-MIA. Now it is to figure out the possible connections between MIA-OSL, and HEL-MIA. You just give me a great help on the HEL-CDG AF codeshare.

If you need two seats, good luck finding them on the same flight on DL metal. LHR is about the only guaranteed flat bed TATL right now. I think FRA might also be in that boat, but not with the same level of advertising commitment. The 764s are what to look for. Otherwise, take a look at the 767-300ER modification tracking thread, as ClipperDelta does a good job of updating which routes seem to have the updated 763s on them.
Yeah, need 2 seats. Will take whatever are available but hope to get lucky...

Last edited by Happy; Dec 9, 2012 at 11:52 pm
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:41 am

Need some help in award reservation in economy (only have that many miles). Have a family of 4 coming back from CPH-MCO on July 18 (flexible upto 2 days). Already booked the MCO-CPH flight. Was on the DL website for a few hours trying all possible routings.
Thanks
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:47 pm

SFO to FCO 3/23/13 - 04/07/13

Hi Guys. I've been reading this thread for awhile trying to get a better deal for my upcoming trip. No problem finding round trip for 130k miles for economy on Delta. Using some of the tips here I found a return flight on AirFrance/Alitalia for 75k, upgraded economy seat with the 12hr layover in CDG. My first call to Delta yesterday and the rep said no availability on Air France, only what I can find on the Delta site. Can I call AirFrance and book Delta reward flight? Can someone point me in a direction to find more available flights?

Thanks
Adolfo
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by fabr3538
Hi Guys. I've been reading this thread for awhile trying to get a better deal for my upcoming trip. No problem finding round trip for 130k miles for economy on Delta. Using some of the tips here I found a return flight on AirFrance/Alitalia for 75k, upgraded economy seat with the 12hr layover in CDG. My first call to Delta yesterday and the rep said no availability on Air France, only what I can find on the Delta site. Can I call AirFrance and book Delta reward flight? Can someone point me in a direction to find more available flights?

Thanks
Adolfo
Welcome to FT!

The FlyingBlue engine is no longer a reliable way of finding seats available to SkyMiles members, and your mention of "upgraded economy seat" suggests you were finding Premium Voyageur inventory through FlyingBlue. There is no way to book these seats with SkyMiles.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH, SEN, RJ Platinum, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I’m planning to use my remaining miles for a trip to PPT, I’m thinking to book the following route:

ZRH-CDG-ORD (AF) Stopover

ORD-LAX (DL)
LAX-PPT (TN)

PPT-NRT (TN)
NRT-CDG-ZRH (AF)

Would this be allowed or will this count as an Round the World?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, BW Diamond
I've been trying to complete my BOS to/from Australia low-tier biz award but am struggling - any help MUCH appreciated:

8/29:
BOS > LAX (cannot find)
LAX> MEL (booked)

Open Jaw

9/13:
SYD > LAX (booked)
LAX > BOS (cannot find)

Total cost to date: 150K miles. I should be able to add low-tier to/from BOS without extra miles (assuming availability), right? I've tried breaking the route down but was wondering if any experts on here could come up with a "magical" routing before I give up and just buy a BOS>LAX roundtrip ticket.

Many, many thanks
Old Dec 12, 2012, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Keep getting "just sold out" message

I have been getting "just sold out" message on KLM's flights when select a flight that shows available.

Is this the website glitch that I must call to book or it is for real that there is no seat?

Last edited by Happy; Dec 12, 2012 at 4:38 pm
Old Dec 12, 2012, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roknroll
There was someone in another thread a week ago that had the same issue. They saw inventory on Expert Flyer and the DL site. When trying to book, it would say sold out, etc. Calling didnt help either. They asked the agent to do a long sell, and multiple agents all said they either don't need to, or can't do a long sell with af/kl (said only needed with Alitalia). Well eventually they found an agent to try a long sell and low and behold the seats were bookable.

I would try finding an agent willing to do a long sell to try to book. And don't worry if you don't know what that means. Just ask the agent if they can "long sell" the ticket.

Alternatively, I have heard of people having success in calling web support when the site continually shows availability but won't book. If you can get throught there, they may be more capable than a phone agent.

Edit:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19783147-post123.html
It does not. JFK-AMS-SVO are available to book online but return the "just sold out" message.

Am on the phone with DL now. Web Support tried but failed. Then Web Support transferred me to "KLM" but actually is still DL. Guy can see seats but when he tries to book, KLM denies the request. He said it is too early to book June flights... I dont think so because in October a friend was able to book June flight to CPH via AMS on KLM. I also am able to book the connection AMS-SVO when choosing Economy.

The issue seems to be KLM shows award seats in its system but those are not released to DL for booking.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 12, 2012 at 5:44 pm
Old Dec 12, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Definitely not too early for June flights. I booked an AF return for mid July, and booked it in August. However as I posted in another thread, for some reason they completely canceled one of the awards and rebooked my wife on DL metal through ATL. Her parents and I remained on the AF flight. Something is definitely not right with the whole AF/DL/KL relationship ATM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.